Stewart next season | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Stewart next season

Reaction Score
Solo showed flashes, like that game against UNC he looked really good. You know what they say the best thing about sophomores is? That they ain't freshmen anymore
Solo’s development seems more mental and maturity. He’s clearly gifted physically, has a great lefty jumper, wingspan and overall athleticism. He just seemed so out of place at times, standing and watching way too often. Would take shots out of flow of offense often, and then lacked finding other ways to contribute. Felt very shoot first, rarely made the types of passes we often saw in the Hurley offense.

Reaction Score
Solo’s development seems more mental and maturity. He’s clearly gifted physically, has a great lefty jumper, wingspan and overall athleticism. He just seemed so out of place at times, standing and watching way too often. Would take shots out of flow of offense often, and then lacked finding other ways to contribute. Felt very shoot first, rarely made the types of passes we often saw in the Hurley offense.

He needs to learn how to pass the rock and handle the ball better. If he can move the ball and attack, he's not going to be starting material. Time for a productive summer.

Reaction Score
Even in his limited minutes this year, he took a bunch of shots, particularly 3s, which makes me believe the coaches like that aspect of his game. His defensive improvement throughout the season, both team and individual, was very impressive, but especially from the help side in the lane and on the block. I think he's a true 3, with ideal physical tools, and has about as nice a window to play big minutes as anyone not named Karaban. Obviously we can't recreate our last two seasons lineups, but we relied on Andre and Castle to move the ball out of that slot, which is the only thing I haven't seen him do. Playing him at the 3 would make it easier to play a smaller guard lineup, but hopefully he can start/run the O in transition and the half court some too. Love his potential and development so far.
Given our lack of pursuit of the the true rim protecting 5, I’m wondering if the approach here is building size at the 3-4 with Stewart.

Reaction Score
I love the kid as much as anyone but I’m just not sure he’ll get the minutes to do this. We seem to prefer a 3 guard type lineup and if AK comes back, he isn’t in much of a different role than he was this year (although I do think he’d get more minutes). I’d expect something more in the 8-12 range this year with a big opportunity to REALLY break out as a junior.
Whats so funny @NotADime89 ?

To clarify - 8-12 is points, not minutes.

Reaction Score
I’d agree with that analysis. I hope it’s just a matter of our offense being so complicated that it just takes some guys longer to adjust than others. Probably needs another summer to get comfortable playing his role within the system

WeAreUCONN

Why So Serious ¿
Reaction Score
I like Stewart but I hope we bring in a very talented forward who can play the 3/4 so they can rotate Stewart, Karaban, and whoever we bring in.

Reaction Score
I’d agree with that analysis. I hope it’s just a matter of our offense being so complicated that it just takes some guys longer to adjust than others. Probably needs another summer to get comfortable playing his role within the system
Maybe, also possible that if there is no Steph Castle, Solo continues along a learning curve and by the end of the conference regular season Solo would've rounded into shape. Instead he missed game development time right as it got a lot harder and regressed a little bit. He can shoot, he's athletic and he played within team constructs when with the starters - I think he'll be a solid contributor next year with a floor something like Alleyne from 22-23.

Reaction Score
Two of the so called fab five weren't even top 100 recruits.
Singare was the only one outside of the consensus top 100. Ross was in the 75-80 range.

Also, remember that in the preseason Hurley said Ross had cracked the rotation. He played in the first 2-3 games and then quickly fell out of the rotation. So Hurley must have seen something in all the practices leading up to the season. We need to have some patience with the current freshmen. It's Hurley's way. If they all stick around they will get there.

Reaction Score
Stewart is so athletic. Has that knack of getting rebounds, can pass, block a shot, get up and down the court in a flash and hit 3's. He is going to be a big contributor next season.

Reaction Score
Stewart at the four and Karaban at the three?

Also, what are the expectations for Ross next season?
Stewart looks more athletic and explosive, since he lost the baby weight prior to the start of the season he looks like a 3 with Karaban continuing to play the 4.

Seeing Stewart play this season, there's no reason to try to bulk him up.

Reaction Score
What gets you excited?
Strength. Spring. Shot (in progress). Wiggle/post-up/short game (exists and can't wait to see it flourish).
Breakout around BE time.
I was sold from the first game i saw him. He was built and moved like an NBA player. I think hes going to be terrific and we know he can score but his rebounding and defense are really going to make him special.

Reaction Score
Stewart is so athletic. Has that knack of getting rebounds, can pass, block a shot, get up and down the court in a flash and hit 3's. He is going to be a big contributor next season.
If Karaban comes back, Stewart and Ball improve like we think they will this team is just a transfer at C and Nowell being the real deal away from making another run. Of course there are some other things we need to fall our way but this is a nice start.

Reaction Score
Given our lack of pursuit of the the true rim protecting 5, I’m wondering if the approach here is building size at the 3-4 with Stewart.
Idk, but I'm sure we're going after another big, not that we can expect anything like Cling Kong. We've got a ton of rebounds to replace for next season. Lots of everything to replace but no one had a backcourt, 1 through 3, rebound like us the last few years.

Reaction Score
Idk, but I'm sure we're going after another big, not that we can expect anything like Cling Kong. We've got a ton of rebounds to replace for next season. Lots of everything to replace but no one had a backcourt, 1 through 3, rebound like us the last few years.
It'd be nice if Reed were being recruited to back up or replace Karaban (if he enters the draft) at the 4 and we're still going are a true run protecting 5.

caw

Reaction Score
Singare was the only one outside of the consensus top 100. Ross was in the 75-80 range.

Also, remember that in the preseason Hurley said Ross had cracked the rotation. He played in the first 2-3 games and then quickly fell out of the rotation. So Hurley must have seen something in all the practices leading up to the season. We need to have some patience with the current freshmen. It's Hurley's way. If they all stick around they will get there.

Ross was much lower for a lot of his senior year and jumped almost 50 spots in April last year in the composite. Not sure if he was not rated by a service, or he really just jumped that much in a few used in the composite.

Reaction Score
It'd be nice if Reed were being recruited to back up or replace Karaban (if he enters the draft) at the 4 and we're still going are a true run protecting 5.
Reed shoots almost exclusively at the rim, he's not being recruited as anything other than a 5. It would be worse than the years playing Whaley at the 4, because he doesn't fit on offense or defense

Reaction Score
Diarra's jump is the Championship standard to me. Edwards now has that ring and the confidence/pedigree to go with it. He'll enter every game as a Champion which no opponent can match, already at an advantage. Champions (all of them) know what it takes.

Edwards potential is high, and he really could be a star.

Reaction Score
I am optimistic Ross will contribute meaningful minutes. He's very young (19 I believe) but tall and athletic and when he fills out and gains confidence there's no reason why he can't be "Son of Castle."

Reaction Score
Well if you listen to Dauster’s most recent Top Dogs podcast we don’t have anyone named Jaylin Stewart on our team next year, but we have a guy named Jaylin Williams. He says Williams like 3x in a row when mentioning Stewart. Hope our guys don’t listen to his podcast because that’s a pretty bad mistake for such a “super fan”

Reaction Score
Well if you listen to Dauster’s most recent Top Dogs podcast we don’t have anyone named Jaylin Stewart on our team next year, but we have a guy named Jaylin Williams. He says Williams like 3x in a row when mentioning Stewart. Hope our guys don’t listen to his podcast because that’s a pretty bad mistake for such a “super fan”
He is such a clown. He is the podcast version of Donny Marshall, but somehow even worse.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robrio89

Top Bottom