Steven Enoch (Committed to UConn) | Page 13 | The Boneyard

Steven Enoch (Committed to UConn)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Who on earth said we should pass on him for any reason? Who would pass on him for any reason? He is a consensus top 10 recruit. If he wants to come to UCONN we are not passing. So I assure you no one is thinking that.

Someone in the Newman/Stone thread actually DID say we should pass on Stone.

UChusky916

Making the board a little less insufferable
Reaction Score
Hate to continue derailing this thread, but way are people citing Facey's foul-rate as a reason for his inability to contribute in the future!? Honestly, that has nothing to do with the kid's potential. He has a way to go defensively, but that doesn't mean he can't stay on the floor.

Think about it... if you know you're only going to be in the game for maybe 10 mins at most (in a blow-out most likely), why the heck WOULDN'T you foul? It's not like you have to worry about fouling-out when you know you won't be in there long.
Also, why WOULDN'T you foul someone who's taking a shot instead of letting the opponent an take an average shot? I'd rather let them prove it at the foul line than gift them a bucket. The sample size on Facey is WAY too small to take make broad assumptions about him unable to stay on the floor. It's simply ridiculous.

I have no doubt that KO will be able to balance giving enough minutes to Nolan, Brimah, Facey, Enoch, and Stone to keep them all happy, if it ends up that way. Let's HOPE it comes down to that, that's a great problem to have.

Reaction Score
Think about it... if you know you're only going to be in the game for maybe 10 mins at most (in a blow-out most likely), why the heck WOULDN'T you foul? It's not like you have to worry about fouling-out when you know you won't be in there long.
You're joking, right?

Reaction Score
Really ? brimah? the guy who's a top 15 player in his class? If stone were to commit he wouldn't be starting over brimah, hell brimah might be gone after next year so who knows.
I think he will be a lottery pick (Brimah) after his Junior year. That is a pretty safe assumption.

Reaction Score
Why has no one made the obvious point: If you know you are a bit player, you couldn't care less if you are playing more aggressively and committing fouls. He was never going to be on the court long enough to even get in "foul trouble".

Everyone take a breath, the great thing about these silly arguments is that all the words you write here and debate and chew on and worry about mean absolutely nothing, because come November 12th, they will hit the court and we will have our answers.

Cheers!

Reaction Score
http://collegebasketballtalk.nbcspo...n-ct-kid-to-a-top-50-recruit-in-three-months/

“My whole family and I grew up UConn fans,” he said. “We’ve just always been surrounded by UConn fans. It’s a blessing for me that they showed me interest. I’ve taken a couple of visits there. They’ve reached out to my coach and told him how interested they are in me.”

Enoch said that he hasn’t really thought about what it would mean to play for the school that he grew up rooting for, but staying local does have it’s appeal, whether he winds up at UConn or not.

“I think it’s good if all my hometown friends and family can come and see me play,” he said.

Reaction Score
I think he will be a lottery pick (Brimah) after his Junior year. That is a pretty safe assumption.

Maybe, but I would have to see more to go out on that limb. He wasn't a fulltime started. Couldn't stay on the floor. Blocks shots but is often out of position when he tries to block shots that he can't get to thus giving up offesive rebounds and is coming of surgery so he isn't practicing. So is this being said in a vacuum. why about the other talent coming in on other teams? Yeah he look like he's developing an offensive game but so did Thabeet. Look I hope he will be a lottery pick by his junior year, for him and what that would mean to the team. I think he has a chance to play in the league. But top 15 with the depth of this years recruiting class and the talent coming in in 15. That will be an uphill climb.

Reaction Score
Someone in the Newman/Stone thread actually DID say we should pass on Stone.

Well in that case I'm sorry I directed that at you, my shock is still the same though

Reaction Score
I tried to help out a BY'er who was way off base and give him a more accurate frame of reference. For some reason he doesn't want the help.

Oh well. Horse meet water. After that the horse is on its own.

Can't wait for the summer to end so the conversations on this board stay more focused. Some of these summer threads take a life of their own and get tough to read and follow.

Yes because your "frame of reference" is the be all end all of recruit comparisons. Could you be any more of a blowhard?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Also, why WOULDN'T you foul someone who's taking a shot instead of letting the opponent an take an average shot?.

If this were the 80s or 90s and this were the NBA then maybe I could agree with you. I think Anthony Mason's job was to foul a few years there. That's when enforcers really existed.

When you're a bench player who wants to play you DO NOT want to foul at a high rate because presumably one day you'd like to play more than a garbage role. And you don't earn those minutes by putting the other team on the FT line.

Reaction Score
You compared the same player to Elton brand and Shawn kemp....

Elton brand unathletic back to the basket guy.

Shawn kemp most athletic power forward ever.

Reaction Score
Well in that case I'm sorry I directed that at you, my shock is still the same though

I'm with you both. I just think we've gotta temper our expectations for AB a bit. He had some great moments last year but having most of the offseason off is going to slow his development a bit. Remember, Hasheem was a 10/8/4.5 guy his soph year. Not sure AB is quite there.

Reaction Score
This kid doesn't remind me of Shawn Kemp, Donyell Marshall, or Cliff Robinson. If Ollie wants him, that's good enough for me, but...

I wish whoever makes these highlights would stop with the layup line dunks. He's 6'10", who in the world is impressed he can double pump the ball and dunk it?

What I found least impressive: There was very little defense played in that clip by the opposing teams, he nearly got stripped of the ball by a kid half his size because he brought the ball down in the post (correctable), most of his scoring came off open dunks from decent passes (good positioning, but can he play back to the basket?), and every shot he blocked he barely left the floor (won't be nearly that easy in college).

Most impressive: Looks like he has a decent shot (or the foundation to be a good shooter), takes it strong to the hoop, seems willing to run the floor.

But like I said, if Ollie wants him, that's all I need to know, these 90 second clips are not enough to make judgements about the style of someone's game, you need to see him play several games, not just highlight reels.

Reaction Score
otp85 said:
If this were the 80s or 90s and this were the NBA then maybe I could agree with you. I think Anthony Mason's job was to foul a few years there. That's when enforcers really existed. When you're a bench player who wants to play you DO NOT want to foul at a high rate because presumably one day you'd like to play more than a garbage role. And you don't earn those minutes by putting the other team on the FT line.

I don't think he's thinking of it as an enforcer. It's more that if you're a bit player off the bench playing a few token minutes, and the choice is to risk a foul or not play aggressively and let someone get to the rim, you go ahead and challenge the shot and take the foul - because you might get yanked for not playing hard. It's a self preservation instinct. When you're expecting to play heavier minutes, the self-preservation instinct is to be more careful and stay out of foul trouble.

Not a perfect parallel, but Drummond dealt with this in the NBA - his first year off the bench, he challenged everything and got a lot of blocks per minute, and people were projecting him as a DPOY candidate when his minutes expanded. As a starter the next year, looking to play 35 minutes plus, he wouldn't challenge at the rim if he knew he was late getting there. People wondered why his blocks per minutes went down, but it was obvious if you watched him play that he didn't challenge nearly as often. No point in getting into early foul trouble flying after every shot.

Reaction Score
Enoch is at min a 2 year player correct? He's came out of nowhere on the scene and has shown amazing abilities, but I'd like to have him for 2 maybe 3 years, turn into a top 5 lottery pick type guy.

If so, I'm very cool with getting he and Stone, knowing Stone is a one year stud, who can help us win a national championship, place someone top 3 in the draft and keep us as a premier location for the best recruits.

Man, 2015 could be an amazing year, talent with the guards ADAMS-PURVIS-NEWMAN, stud off the wing, HAMILTON, beasts in the paint, ENOCH-STONE-BRIMAH, and the deepest bench in college basketball (Samuel, Cassell Jr, Calhoun, Lubin, Facey, Nolan)

Reaction Score
I'm with you both. I just think we've gotta temper our expectations for AB a bit. He had some great moments last year but having most of the offseason off is going to slow his development a bit. Remember, Hasheem was a 10/8/4.5 guy his soph year. Not sure AB is quite there.

Thabeet was a better rebounder than Brimah, and he fouled less, but Brimah was better on offense last year than Thabeet was as a freshman. If Brimah can stay on the floor, he should be a pretty functional starter.

Reaction Score
I think people are going to be surprised how GOOD BRIMAH is going to be Junior year. I see him being just as good, if not better than Thabeet. He shows natural ability and touch for a big man, he will be a MONSTER on defense

If you pulled the hat trick, who's going to play

Just big men
PF: Enoch, Lubin, Facey
C: Brimah, Stone, Nolan

Plus Adams (PG), Samuel (PG), Cassell Jr (PG), Newman (SG), Purvis (SG), Hamilton (SG/SF)

I don't see how this works, considering there is only one ball.

Jeeesh! Talent wise that team is absolutely loaded!!! I dont see all of those guys sticking around though. I think Hamilton and Purvis could be gone by then even so its still a loaded roster.

Reaction Score
From this week's issue: FACES IN THE CROWD

Steven Enoch|Norwalk, Conn.| Basketball

Steven, a 6'10" rising senior forward at Norwalk High, had 29 points, 14 boards and five blocks in High Rise Team Ups's final game at the Reebok Showdown in Philadelphia. He made the all-star team at the Pangos All-American camp in June, earning him a spot at the NBA top 100 camp.

Reaction Score
@AdamFinkelstein: Steve Enoch officially transferring to St Thomas Moore for senior season. Ian Gardner joining him as a post-graduate.

Is Jere Quinn still the coach there? I remember hearing his name a lot when we were recruiting Drummond.

Reaction Score
I really do believe Jere tried to keep Andre from announcing UConn earlier and who knows why. Maybe so he could see and hang with al of the big name coaches? No matter if the kid wants to be a Husky he will!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom