Starting lineups 2015/2016, 2016/2017, 2017/2018, 2018/2019? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Starting lineups 2015/2016, 2016/2017, 2017/2018, 2018/2019?

Status
Not open for further replies.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Is it bad that I am hoping for a WNBA draft that includes Stewart, Jefferson AND Tuck? Is it not enough for UCONN fans to have four championships in a row? :mad:
Never enough.

I'm sure you wanted Sims and Griner to use up their eligibility. ;)

Reaction Score
Is it bad that I am hoping for a WNBA draft that includes Stewart, Jefferson AND Tuck? Is it not enough for UCONN fans to have four championships in a row? :mad:
Correct. "Enough" doesn't exist :D

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Is it bad that I am hoping for a WNBA draft that includes Stewart, Jefferson AND Tuck?
Not really as long as you want what is best for Morgan.
Is it not enough for UCONN fans to have four championships in a row?
No... wait are you handing us the 2016 NC? Very generous of you. :D

Reaction Score
McCoy is not starting over Natalie Butler. A freshman center won't even come close to her level of play, especially after two years in the UConn system. Natalie is going to be a monster!

Reaction Score
McCoy is not starting over Natalie Butler. A freshman center won't even come close to her level of play, especially after two years in the UConn system. Natalie is going to be a monster!
I wish Natalie can be as good as Tuck.

Reaction Score
This thread has surprised me. Why is Butler, a proven commodity, getting so little respect? She's 6'-5", moves well, has shown that she can rebound and score, and the reports from team practices this year were all quite positive. I agree with other posts that she could be a monster next year. With her underneath Tuck, and particularly Stewie could have sensational years.

I like Chong as much as everyone else, and she may come back next year and be praised by Geno for her work ethic, (as he did this year), but I don't see any way that she starts again. If for some reason Butler doesn't perform as advertised, then it will be one of the Williams/Collier/KLS group that begins each game.
Chong's size and lack of agressiveness will keep her from being a starter next year. She has IMHO the opportunity to become an important spot player, but there are too many thoroughbreds in the stable for her to take the lead.

Reaction Score
This thread has surprised me. Why is Butler, a proven commodity, getting so little respect? She's 6'-5", moves well, has shown that she can rebound and score, and the reports from team practices this year were all quite positive. I agree with other posts that she could be a monster next year. With her underneath Tuck, and particularly Stewie could have sensational years.

I like Chong as much as everyone else, and she may come back next year and be praised by Geno for her work ethic, (as he did this year), but I don't see any way that she starts again. If for some reason Butler doesn't perform as advertised, then it will be one of the Williams/Collier/KLS group that begins each game.
Chong's size and lack of agressiveness will keep her from being a starter next year. She has IMHO the opportunity to become an important spot player, but there are too many thoroughbreds in the stable for her to take the lead.
We all respect Butler. She has the size and the attitude and can be the key player in UConn.
But she has not played a UConn game yet. Wait until she plays her first UConn game then make your conclusion.

As for Chong, nobody in here says she should start in 2015-2016. I have said I wish she can start. Again, wait until summer practice is over and see what is Geno's decision.

Reaction Score
I do not need to wait to make my conclusion. What does every UConn player say about practice? The practices are tougher than the games. Geno puts them in impossible situations where they can't win, and he still expects them to win. Natalie has had an entire year of practice against Kiah, Morgan and Breanna. Also, they say she's a gym rat. She's ready and I'm ready for her to blow everyone away with how great she's going to be.

Reaction Score
Butler was the 5th leading rebounder in the country her freshman year at Georgetown. I know she hasn't played for Uconn yet but she did average 14 & 13 as a freshman. I think she will help us. I like to watch Gabby too, however she needs to really improve to be a starter. She was moved to forward because her ball handling and outside shooting were subpar for a guard.

Reaction Score
Butler was the 5th leading rebounder in the country her freshman year at Georgetown. I know she hasn't played for Uconn yet but she did average 14 & 13 as a freshman. I think she will help us. I like to watch Gabby too, however she needs to really improve to be a starter. She was moved to forward because her ball handling and outside shooting were subpar for a guard.

Butler will definitely help, no doubt about it.
Here are my questions for this upcoming season.
How effective will Butler be in the handful of regular season games against the other top teams and then again in the NCAAT ? (It won't matter in the AAC)
Who goes in for Nurse when she comes out for a breather ?
Who is the 5th starter ? (That question has been beaten to death already)
How does Geno fit in his new stars ? ( I can't imagine NC and KLS not getting "good" minutes off the bench, if one of them doesn't start)

Reaction Score
Butler will definitely help, no doubt about it.
Here are my questions for this upcoming season.
How effective will Butler be in the handful of regular season games against the other top teams and then again in the NCAAT ? (It won't matter in the AAC)
Who goes in for Nurse when she comes out for a breather ?
Who is the 5th starter ? (That question has been beaten to death already)
How does Geno fit in his new stars ? ( I can't imagine NC and KLS not getting "good" minutes off the bench, if one of them doesn't start)

1--- Butler imo will be effective "enough." Will she play well every game vs elite teams? Nope. It seldom works like that. The other teams have scholarship players too. Some games she'll struggle just like every other kid does from time to time.

2--- Who will sub in for Nurse? Similar to last year but with a wrinkle. - One is Chong. 2 is KLS on offense and then you can have either NC or GW guard the quicker/ more threatening of the sg or sf. If the sg isn't much of a scoring threat KLS can guard her then it also means Stewie can guard the 3 if UCONN is playing big. Maybe Tuck can guard the sf as well. Stewie did guard a lot of sf's her soph year. So if say Gabby is guarding sg's and while offensively she is playing the same inside position she did last year thus it may mean for example that BOTH Stewie and KLS are playing more on he outside on offense, who is the real "replacement" for Kia Nurse? Gabby or KLS?

The fun of this team is what once Geno said that there is no "shooting guard" or "small forward" etc. Some year's that is true while other years you can define it. This year UCONN will have lineups in which it will be hard to define at times. Actually they could be more sloppy because of it imo.

3--- IMO the 5th starter will be Butler.

4--- I'm not sure what "good" minutes means. What is the definition of "good" in this instance? It's our own opinion of "good." IMO because KLS can play like a sg and is tall/long/versatile enough to play non-physical power forwards -- every game UCONN plays- it's not like the other team's sg's and sf's and power forwards are all super players -- KLS, Gabby, Collier and Butler can get what I feel is pretty good/decent minutes (whatever that means).

I won't sleep on any of them including Chong and Ekmark (she can play sg). I think Boykin losing a year sets her back.

Reaction Score
Everything concerning future starting lineup's is all speculation at this point. The players need to to work very hard over the summer because there is going to be a lot of competition for playing time next year.

Reaction Score
IMO, Chong will not start at UCONN again........She can be a great player as a super sub.......When she gets better foot work and if she is able to get to the basket off dribble drives and makes more wide open shots. Plus, play better defense starting this summer against male players this summer.........

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
IMO, Chong will not start at UCONN again...She can be a great player as a super sub..When she gets better foot work and if she is able to get to the basket off dribble drives and makes more wide open shots. Plus, play better defense starting this summer against male players this summer....

So she just has to be better off the dribble, improve her footwork, make more shots, and play better defense.....

I suppose if she does all these things she could start as a senior; the only other option will likely be Dangerfield. Should be an interesting preseason next year.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
4--- I'm not sure what "good" minutes means. What is the definition of "good" in this instance? It's our own opinion of "good." IMO because KLS can play like a sg and is tall/long/versatile enough to play non-physical power forwards -- every game UCONN plays- it's not like the other team's sg's and sf's and power forwards are all super players -- KLS, Gabby, Collier and Butler can get what I feel is pretty good/decent minutes (whatever that means).

I won't sleep on any of them including Chong and Ekmark (she can play sg). I think Boykin losing a year sets her back.
FYI - I think "good minutes" generally means time on the floor when there are at least 2 other starters out there, sometimes more. When coach pulls ALL the starters, or leaves Nurse out there with the bench players, the offense often sputters. But perhaps rwsleep has a different definition than I was thinking...

I hesitated to even chime in on this thread because we can't even agree who the starters are for next year, never mind the following year. We've mostly all agreed that Jefferson, Nurse, Tuck and Stewie are all starters. The 5th could be (in IMHO descending order of likelihood), Butler, Williams, Collier, Samuelson. But the year after, Stewie and Jefferson graduate so IMHO likely starters are...

Nurse, Tuck, Butler. After that, who among Williams, Collier, Samuelson or Chong comprises the other 2? And hopefully UCONN's not done with recruiting for 2016 so hopefully there is more than Dangerfield and Irwin. Anyway, then Tuck and Cong graduate. The following year...

Dangerfield, Nurse, Williams, Collier/Samuelson, Butler. But who the heck knows? Other recruits (maybe we land Cox) and who knows who else we land in 2017 to go along with Espinosa. And hopefully we don't have any, but injuries can play a role too...

Reaction Score
So she just has to be better off the dribble, improve her footwork, make more shots, and play better defense.....

I suppose if she does all these things she could start as a senior; the only other option will likely be Dangerfield. Should be an interesting preseason next year.
Right now her game is very limited........She looks out of place..........Huge difference between her skill set and Moriah's......Something is holding her back and we do not see her in practice to know what exactly it is.........Maybe its just confidence and I said the same thing about Brianna Banks and I am hoping a change of teams helps her at Penn State.......

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Everything concerning future starting lineup's is all speculation at this point. The players need to to work very hard over the summer because there is going to be a lot of competition for playing time next year.
I feel pretty safe speculating that Morgan, Mojeff, Stewie will start.

Reaction Score
IMO, Chong will not start at UCONN again...She can be a great player as a super sub..When she gets better foot work and if she is able to get to the basket off dribble drives and makes more wide open shots. Plus, play better defense starting this summer against male players this summer....
I agree with jsloanjr --Chong could be a super sub. I did a little comparison with 2 Notre Dame guards (some people rate them very high next year and list Mabrey as a big reason--even Cable is listed as a plus)
Mabrey - 885 minutes- 7 pts a game - 38% fg - 92 assists
Cable - 828 minutes - 6 pt ave - 45% fg - 35 assists
Chong - 723 minutes - 5.6 pt ave - 47% fg --74 assists
If Mabrey is the starter and Cable a top sub---IMHO UConn has more than a slight advantage.

Reaction Score
I don't like any transfer.
I don't like some people here keep asking a transfer.
I wish every player has a happy life in UConn....

Last edited:
Reaction Score
You have to be kidding if you don't think Kia will start. Breanna, Moriah, Morgan, Kia and Natalie.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I don't like any transfer.
I don't like some people here keep asking a transfer.
I wish every player has a happy life in UConn....
What?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robrio89