Starting lineups 2015/2016, 2016/2017, 2017/2018, 2018/2019? | The Boneyard

Starting lineups 2015/2016, 2016/2017, 2017/2018, 2018/2019?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Of course we don't know what recruits may yet sign but for discussion sake:
2015/2016: Butler, Tuck, Stewart, Jefferson, Nurse
2016/2017: Butler, Tuck, Samuelson, Collier, Nurse
2017/2018: Butler, Samuelson, Collier, Nurse, Dangerfield
2018/2019: Samuelson, Collier, Dangerfield, ??

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I personally like it but fair warning the how dare you leave off Gabby and Chong lynch mob is probably stuck in traffic. Hundker down!- I got your back.

Reaction Score
I personally like it but fair warning the how dare you leave off Gabby and Chong lynch mob is probably stuck in traffic. Hundker down!- I got your back.
Not making any judgements, just trying to start conversation.

Reaction Score
The number 5 starter will be between: Butler, Chong, Willams , KLS and Collier, depending on
the performance in the summer practice.

Personally I wish Chong can start because I think she has the ability and she is a junior. Just wish she can get the confidence.

Reaction Score
Gabby by 2016-17 by virtue of seniority, experience, athleticism and she can play the "big" guard. She has a big upside and could be a defensive nightmare for opponents big guns. Can you say Kelly Faris with better rebounding and penetration. She'll start the moment her outside shooting comes around. Let's see what she does over the summer.
Of course starters can be symbolic at UConn. Let's see who finishes the big games.

Reaction Score
15/16 Stewart, Tuck, Williams, Nurse, Jefferson
16/17 McCoy, Collier, KLS, Nurse, Dangerfield
17/18 McCoy, Collier, KLS, Nurse, Dangerfield
18/19 McCoy, Collier, KLS, Walker, Dangerfield

Reaction Score

Are you sure UConn will have Tori McCoy in 2016? She is 6'4", a big forward.

Reaction Score
Are you sure UConn will have Tori McCoy in 2016? She is 6'4", a big forward.

No, I'm not sure. But then I'm not sure who will be in the starting lineup in 2015/16. Was being sure a prerequisite in order to respond in this thread ?
Chalk it up to wishful thinking.

Reaction Score

I agree with the starting lineup for 2015/16 but looking at this list is a little depressing.....man.....only one more year of Stewart and Jefferson.....and sheesh.....what if Tuck leaves too? :eek:

Reaction Score
I agree with the starting lineup for 2015/16 but looking at this list is a little depressing.....man.....only one more year of Stewart and Jefferson.....and sheesh.....what if Tuck leaves too? :eek:

Well, at the positive side that we have 1 more year to watch Steward and Jefferson, and 2 years with Tuck (if she does not go to WNBA next year).

Reaction Score
The number 5 starter will be between: Butler, Chong, Willams , KLS and Collier, depending on

Personally I wish Chong can start because I think she has the ability and she is a junior. Just wish she can get the confidence.

I love all of the players you mentioned but feel strongly that it will be Natalie. Her size, proven rebounding ability and defensive presence will win out. Can't wait to see see her in action.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score

Dang. That's a young team in 16-17.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Wow! You folks are really bored or ambitious--trying to predict starting lineups for the next 4 years! I hope that Geno and CD are around for the next 4 years. I hope I am too. :) Ok, I'll play along, but a few preliminary comments. Saniya needs to step up, as she will be a junior. I think she has the ability, as we have seen at various times, but she--like Brianna Banks--struggles with confidence. It's clear that Geno has stockpiled a lot of talent. Some very good players with WNBA futures may start only 1-2 seasons of their UConn careers. Some newbies may be extremely talented and ready, so someone who starts one year, may be supplanted the following year. Keep in mind that some non-starters may get major minutes, perhaps more than starters--see Kaleena in her freshman year or Maya in hers, before the injury hit Kalana Green.

15/16 Stewie, Morgan, Moriah, Kia, and Natalie. I think Natalie has a proven track record and size.
16/17 Morgan, Kia, Natalie, Gabby, and Lou. I hope that Morgan stays. Gabby and/or Lou plays SG.
17/18 Kia, Natalie, Crystal, Gabby, and Lou. Napheesa plays starter minutes. Walker plays a lot too.
18/19 Crystal, Lou, Napheesa, Walker, and McCoy. Incredible athleticism and shooting. Walker and/or Lou plays SG.

I know--I have Napheesa starting only 1 year, which seems totally wrong. I think Gabby's experience and athleticism keep her ahead of the 2015 group. I think all of the scholarship players will compete for minutes: Saniya, DJB, Kyla, and the later recruits. Geno MAY have to go with waves of players, as in hockey.

Keep in mind that the iconic 2002 team had 2 players who really started only 1 season in their career--and still went in the top 6 in the draft; Ketia Swanier was drafted and played several years in the WNBA, despite being a 6th "man"; and Kia Stokes was a first-roung pick as a nonstarter at UConn.

Next year's team may have 9 future WNBA players.

Reaction Score
It's fun, interesting and crazy to speculate about UCONN starters four years out.

Milford Husky is right we are bored. You follow the team, study the recruits, speculate about the current starters, predict game outcomes and then get revved up for March; when in years like this one we get to watch a parade and then bury Geno in roses.

And then we wake up, look at the calender and realize that while we're not done being exciting about our legendary program, we won't be seeing another UCONN women's game for six months.

There are all the tournament games that take place where our players past, present and future perform; and we have no choice but to check in everyday to see where our targeted recruits have chosen to matriculate. (It's a particularly excusite pleasure to learn that KLS has decided that she doesn't have to follow her sisters to Stanford, or that Collier has chosen to move to Storrs to remind us of Maya for the next four years).

But with the games that count being still a half calender year away, we have to entertain each other by speculating what it is that Geno will do four years down the line.

My vote is that our four from this year are joined by Butler with Gabby, KLS and Napheesa getting major minutes in '15-'16, with KLS and Collier moving into start in '16-'17. After that, do we get McCoy and Walker? Who knows?

Reaction Score
Gabby by 2016-17 by virtue of seniority, experience, athleticism and she can play the "big" guard. She has a big upside and could be a defensive nightmare for opponents big guns. Can you say Kelly Faris with better rebounding and penetration. She'll start the moment her outside shooting comes around. Let's see what she does over the summer.
Of course starters can be symbolic at UConn. Let's see who finishes the big games.
I like your use of "symbolic". Starters or not plenty of playing time. Now another question would be who among the starters will be in the lineup in the event that at the end of a close game?

Reaction Score
If Natalie is as advertised, she is a starter for the next three years, regardless of who UCONN recruits. Gabby will need to do some work on her shooting outside the paint and at the foul line before she becomes a starter. And Stewie gets her fourth N.C. As a side note, how impressive is it for Breanna Pulido and Tierney Lawlor to walk on to a team like UCONN and last long enough to win four N.C.s. Amazing story.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
If Natalie is as advertised, she is a starter for the next three years, regardless of who UCONN recruits. Gabby will need to do some work on her shooting outside the paint and at the foul line before she becomes a starter. And Stewie gets her fourth N.C. As a side note, how impressive is it for Breanna Pulido and Tierney Lawlor to walk on to a team like UCONN and last long enough to win four N.C.s. Amazing story.
It would be 3 NC for Breanna Pulido and Tierney Lawlor. Both joined the team after the 2013 NC.
"If Natalie is as advertised, she is a starter for the next three years, regardless of who UCONN recruits."
Not sure I agree with that assessment. If UCONN signs Cox and/or McCoy both will overlap with Natalie for 2 full season. All 4 (Natalie, Cox, McCoy & Tuck) could overlap for 1 full season unless Natalie or Tuck leaves early. I don't see Natalie starting over Cox or McCoy for both of those overlap years. I not even sure Natalie beats out Tuck as the starter next year.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Hmmm - Boykin? She aint chopped liver and could well develop in an Jones/Williams manner?

What I find interesting and completely different when comparing to MCBB - one can state with relative certainty that whether or not a player develops in the manner you anticipate, she will actually be on the team for 4 years. What a luxury.

Reaction Score
It would be 3 NC for Breanna Pulido and Tierney Lawlor. Both joined the team after the 2013 NC.
"If Natalie is as advertised, she is a starter for the next three years, regardless of who UCONN recruits."
Not sure I agree with that assessment. If UCONN signs Cox and/or McCoy both will overlap with Natalie for 2 full season. All 4 (Natalie, Cox, McCoy & Tuck) could overlap for 1 full season unless Natalie or Tuck leaves early. I don't see Natalie starting over Cox or McCoy for both of those overlap years. I not even sure Natalie beats out Tuck as the starter next year.
Guess I got my walk on seasons wrong, although they still have a better than average chance to win 4 N.Cs if they remain on the team.
I don't see Natalie or Morgan competing for the same position. With the players he has, I see Geno playing the typical C,P,P,G,G team next season. Obviously he will mix it up during the game as the situation requires, but I see that as the starting lineup. If or when Cox or McCoy commit to UCONN I believe the job will be Natalie's to lose. But she will have to play as advertised. Meaning she will play strong defense in the middle and average a double-double. I have only seen her play some on a few You Tube videos but think that with two years under Geno and practicing against the likes of Kiah, Stewie and Morgan she will be ready to play. And all coaches and players that have anything to do with her give her high praise on her work ethic and desire to improve. I think she is another Stef, but time will tell if I am over confident about her.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Guess I got my walk on seasons wrong, although they still have a better than average chance to win 4 N.Cs if they remain on the team.
Still off. Pulido is a Jr (or will be a rising Sr shortly). She has a chance to pick up her 3rd, then she graduates. Lawlor, a Soph (will be a rising Jr shortly) will have a chance at 3-4.

Reaction Score

Kaizen -(I like that name of constant improvement) - agree that super performance in summer and more so in Oct/Nov. will determine the #5 starter. Butler has the experience edge and the proof positive production edge. I like Chong a lot and think her quickness and shooting ability would be very valuable in some future specific situation, but IMHO Geno will not be starting those 3 guards. He might play those 3 in an unusual situation where he sees an advantage, but those 3 guards starting is a loooong streeeetch.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I guess I'll play, though it's really silly.

Just based on who is on the team and who has committed.
2015-2016 - Stewart, Jefferson, Tuck, Nurse and hmmm I'll go Williams (though could just as easily be Butler, Samuelson or Collier)
2016-2017 - Tuck, Nurse, Butler, Samuelson, Collier (I know if Williams starts in the prior year I have no idea how she doesn't start this year??)
2017-2018 - Nurse, Butler, Samuelson, Collier, Williams
2018-2019 - Samuelson, Collier, Boykin, Dangerfield, AEH (This is way too far out to do without knowing recruits, or making up recruits) (However, we can still put a decent team on the floor even at that. :D)

Reaction Score
Still off. Pulido is a Jr (or will be a rising Sr shortly). She has a chance to pick up her 3rd, then she graduates. Lawlor, a Soph (will be a rising Jr shortly) will have a chance at 3-4.
I think I have it now. Pulido joined the team when she was a sophomore and Lawlor joined as a freshman. Now, if Pulido decides to stay in school another year can she play another season, or did she lose that year of eligibility when she was on the track and field team her freshman year? This is going to be a loooooooong off season. All these details to be worked out. :)

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Well, at the positive side that we have 1 more year to watch Steward and Jefferson, and 2 years with Tuck (if she does not go to WNBA next year).

Is it bad that I am hoping for a WNBA draft that includes Stewart, Jefferson AND Tuck? Is it not enough for UCONN fans to have four championships in a row? :mad:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom