OT: - St. Johns' entire recruiting class has decommitted | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: St. Johns' entire recruiting class has decommitted

Hunt for 7

Built Hurley Strong
Reaction Score
I think Pitino suggested they look elsewhere, just a guess
Is that even within the rules. So he tells them you can come here but you will not play. I hope that is what is happening. Pitino back to his old ways. His trail is legendary. Hurley will build like Calhoun as he knows character builds champions. Of course you need talent but it has to be the culture fit. You would think he would have wanted to keep at least one of the recruits to help the optics of the situation. This could end up bad for St Johns.

Reaction Score
Didn't Hurley tell a couple of Ollie's kids not to come? I can think of one kid from Washington that said he was still coming, but then didn't

Alternate free access:

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Ha.... Remember the old "Louie Carnesecca is not well and may not be at SJU for too much longer" recruiting tractic???
And they were right! His only FF came when they ponied up for Walter Berry.

Reaction Score
Pitino will be fine, but his age is being used against him in recruiting and the portal.

I’m under the impression that these guys have zero say in whether or not they’re playing at St. John’s next year. I don’t think Pitino is being victimized here.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Pitino will be fine, but his age is being used against him in recruiting and the portal.
If that billionaire makes the commitment he stated than $$$$$$$ >>>> Age!

Reaction Score
It's been around almost as long as you
So coaches dont matter, kids want to play for certain schools no matter who is coaching - not. That must be why transfers after a coaching change always got waivers.

Reaction Score
That's not the way I remember it. Ollie got fired. The kids committed to play for Ollie and he wasn't here any more so they decided to decommit.
But didn't @Waquoit just tell us there was a rule about kids commiting to a school not a coach?

Reaction Score
Pitino was interviewed during intermission of the Islanders game the other day. His age really is showing. He almost looks sickly. I’m surprised he decided to take this job and as was mentioned above, I’m sure coaches are using his age against him while recruiting.

BGesus4

Running everywhere
Reaction Score
It’s likely Pitino is successful at St. John’s but there’s still a non zero chance that he’s not able to attract very top talent. The methods he historically used to get an undue share of recruits are now allowed and done by everyone. He’s one of the best coaches ever, but he’s also old and operating in a very different landscape than when he experienced his big success.

Reaction Score
Pitino does not need to get a roster of 5* talent to be successful. He can get a roster of mid major all stars to be competitive in the big east.

Reaction Score
You can build through the transfer pool quicker than having to teach freshman how to play the game.

I'll give Pitino the benefit of the doubt. He'll have St Johns in a much better place by year two.

His hiring was good for the Big East

temery

What?
Reaction Score
This is why I believe a school should offer a degree, not just an athletic scholarship. If a kid doesn't workout, or gets screwed by a coach leaving, they should still have the free ride to the school until graduation.

Reaction Score
Funny how this is OK now, when not too long ago the rule was you commit to a school not a coach.
You have to understand this is a Jesuit school, Rick may have done his homework and realized these players were not religious enough. ;)

Reaction Score
Their facilities are the worst in the conference. Again, he will have a very good roster. I just think people who think he is walking to a final 4...this is the best conference in basketball. He's a little behind the 8 ball.

I wonder if the $ guy made a couple promises there too. It would make sense that Rick negotiated something, or at least tried.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbie32

Top Bottom