Something learned about KLS, besides the obvious: | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Something learned about KLS, besides the obvious:

Status
Not open for further replies.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Geno, of course, wants more from Lou:

"She made five three-pointers tonight, and that is what the person before her did. You have to do more than that in order to win national championships.”
He actually sort of implied that was all that KML did as a freshman and it wasn't enough, so you have to do more. I'm correcting you, because it was more a motivational statement than a dig at Lou - he almost implied that she was doing more than just making threes at a good percentage at this point and she needed to continue to focus on that. or that was my impression from listening to him.

Reaction Score
To me Anigwe has been the best start to finish. There are nights she has put Cal on her back. Shepard has been solid too. I also think Sophie Cunningham at Missouri has had a very good year. I'm obviously a UConn homer but if you look at complete body of work Lou doesn't win the award. But if you asked me where my chips would be in 3 years I'd have them all on Lou.

Reaction Score
Curious as to what do some people not like about KLS in SoCal ?
They call her a flopper and say that she lived at the free throw line. Also said she is a one trick pony that being the three ball. Go to SoCalhoops.com and read any thread labeled KLS and you will see. Some joker counters with Jordan Canada as if that is some how a dig on KLS. Also the recent Mater Dei post on Socalhoops mentions KSL.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
To me Anigwe has been the best start to finish. There are nights she has put Cal on her back. Shepard has been solid too. I also think Sophie Cunningham at Missouri has had a very good year. I'm obviously a UConn homer but if you look at complete body of work Lou doesn't win the award. But if you asked me where my chips would be in 3 years I'd have them all on Lou.
Cunningham should not be in the running.. She has been very inconsistent, especially against the better teams.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
He actually sort of implied that was all that KML did as a freshman and it wasn't enough, so you have to do more. I'm correcting you, because it was more a motivational statement than a dig at Lou - he almost implied that she was doing more than just making threes at a good percentage at this point and she needed to continue to focus on that. or that was my impression from listening to him.
I read it, so I obviously didn't pick up Geno's tone. One interpretation was that KLS should not be satisfied, because we already had a player who made 5 threes in a game (several times). Another was that she needs to do more than just hit threes. In either case, I didn't think it was a dig, but saw it as motivational. Just as Geno used to say he wouldn't let Diana cheat her talent, he's going to demand a lot out of Lou, because he thinks she can produce. I'm sure that for the next 3 years, he'll be saying, "Stewie did this and Stewie did that" to Lou. He thinks that Lou can be almost as good as Stewie. I think her shot is better. Let's see what her inside game becomes. Stewie's post-ups tonight were textbook. Lou, despite being slightly shorter and having a smaller wingspan, can do the same type of thing. Basically, Geno wants Lou to be able to do everything, because she has that type of potential.

Reaction Score
Just as Geno used to say he wouldn't let Diana cheat her talent, he's going to demand a lot out of Lou, because he thinks she can produce. I'm sure that for the next 3 years, he'll be saying, "Stewie did this and Stewie did that" to Lou. He thinks that Lou can be almost as good as Stewie.
Why some (including Lou) come to UConn; why others wouldn't dream of coming.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
First let me say how completely wrong I was for criticizing KLS for getting a technical fouled in the ECU game. I now see the bigger picture. KLS is determined to prove that she can mix it up, be chippy & grimey when necessary and still be spectacular. I love it.

Reaction Score
First let me say how completely wrong I was for criticizing KLS for getting a technical fouled in the ECU game. I now see the bigger picture. KLS is determined to prove that she can mix it up, be chippy & grimey when necessary and still be spectacular. I love it.
As the posts above suggest about her high school "flopping", I'm sure that Lou has a chip on her shoulder about being a "soft" California player--everything handed to her: father her coach; 2 older sisters to play against; height and looks, etc. But it's not what you're born with or into; it's what you do with it. And to Lou's great credit, she's taken that challenge.

Personally, I'm looking forward to the same sort of discussion next year about Napheesa!

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Katie Lou should be FOY 2016
Afraid not. Jessica Shepard will the national FOY award. It won't even be close.
KLS may also not win AAC FOY award Kitija Laksa of South florida has significantly better numbers.

Reaction Score
I thought that was Butler that got T'd up?

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score

I've only seen Anigwe play once, but it's pretty obvious she's been Cal's go-to person all year, as has Shepard at Nebraska.
Two frosh centers I've seen a few times who have performed well and will get better are Michigan's Hallie Thome (14.6 per game)
and BC's Mariella Fasoula (14.0 ppg), who played well against Notre Dame the first time around (they play again on Saturday).

Michigan also has a frosh point guard, Boogie Brozoski, who will get better with time.

The beauty of KLS is she didn't need to shoulder "the weight"when she first came on, but is now making major contributions. Besides her shooting, I love her wherewithal and passing ability. She runs the floor well and seems to know when and where to make the pass.

Of course, I'm pretty happy with the contributions of our Irish frosh, Arike Ogunbowale (11.9 ppg) and Marina Mabrey (11.4 ppg) or Mabrey2. They were expected to contribute but have probably surpassed expectations, in part because of circumstances, and, in part, because they're going for it. Arike has been strong all of conference play and Mabrey2 -- after a lull -- came on strong against FSU, which we hope will keep going into the ACC playoffs.

Good class to follow the next few years. And to think Collier will get more minutes as a sophomore and ND will have Ali Patberg (knock on wood) coming back strong from her knee injury.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I think the first "wow" with her was how quickly she caught on playing defense. She went from clueless to being a monster.

I totally agree. She had a monster game last night. It was impressive to see her follow up her 19 point effort against ECU with an even more impressive 21 point game. That showed the staff that she can be consistent.

Can you imagine how much better she's going to be by the time she's a junior?. OMG! :eek:
She was deemed one of the nation's best players in girl's High school basketball last year because of her scoring prowess.

When formal practice began in October, she realized that parts of her game needed to be refined, and brought up to college standards. The coaches emphasized that she was going to have to do more than just score, especial on defense.

Lou has made that adjustment, and has turned the corner on becoming a complete player........on both ends of the court. Don't be surprised if she is asked to assume the role that Stewart now has. She's long, lean and mobile.
Suffice it to say that we now have our 3 point sniper that will be ready to go when the NCAA tournament begins next month.

Remember during the summer when we were all trying to speculate who would take KML's place in the starting line up?

How many of you tabbed Lou to become the 5th starter? To those of you that had the foresight
of seeing Lou as the eventual replacement, a tip o the turban to you. :D

Last edited:

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
How many of you tabbed Lou to become the 5th starter? To those of you that had the foresight
of seeing Lou as the eventual replacement, a tip o the turban to you. :D

Reaction Score
The Cornhusker kid is probably the leader.

Kristine Enigwe is scoring 20 ppg, and taking down 9 rebounds. If you saw any of the USA U-17 (?) games, you got an eye-full of the best new players this year and next. Joyner Holmes was a beast. I think she outplayed Cos. Asia Durr and Ogunbowale were both incredible. Chou, not so much.

I think that the best freshmen have been Enigwe, Marina Mabrey (she was awesome against UConn), Durr, Ogunbowale, and then KLS. Mbar's and KLS's numbers are comparable, and both for top teams. Cal has relied on Enigwe for more minutes and more output on a weak team.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
UConn beat Nebraska 88-46, 11/28/2015, KLS 14 pts, 0 TO, Sheppard 10 pts, 5 TOs
CAl 12-15 may not even be in the NCAA tournament.

A comparison using one game even head to head or common opponent can paint a very skewed picture.
Examples:
1) Nebraska against Ohio State Shappard=20 points
2) UCONN against Ohio State KLS=2 Points
3) Nebraska vs Cal Kristine Anigwe= 29 points & Jessica Sheppard= 6 Points .

Reaction Score
I Love Lou C. Everyone above seems suitably excited by the progress she has made, but there's even MORE. Geno has said that KLS has all of Bre's tools (not her ability yet). He should know. While dropping those 3's is money, Lou's assists are a wonder to behold; she was a great passer almost from the get-go. Next year I believe she'll slide into the middle more, much as Stewart did in her second go round. AND she's begun to obstruct, deflect, and block opponent's shots. Sorry she got her dimples dented last night but love how she checked her teeth and shrugged it off. California Dreamin.

Reaction Score
I Love Lou C. Everyone above seems suitably excited by the progress she has made, but there's even MORE. Geno has said that KLS has all of Bre's tools (not her ability yet). He should know. While dropping those 3's is money, Lou's assists are a wonder to behold; she was a great passer almost from the get-go. Next year I believe she'll slide into the middle more, much as Stewart did in her second go round. AND she's begun to obstruct, deflect, and block opponent's shots. Sorry she got her dimples dented last night but love how she checked her teeth and shrugged it off. California Dreamin.

Reaction Score

Reaction Score
The amazing thing about Lou for me is that watching her playing US basketball she looked like a horrid defender who could not guard a chair and look at her now! She plays smart defense, takes charges, stops players with her jaw :), using her length well...impressive! and it shows you how hard this kid is willing to work on her game. The future is bright!

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
In 27 games KLS has a grand total of 4 block shots. Can you see why this would be a bad idea?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom