Some Comments from Swofford | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Some Comments from Swofford

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
On just the capital projects alone - UConn has spent $91 million on the Rent and another $48 million on the Burton/Shenkman training complex for a total of $139 million and that does not include coaches' salaries, scholarships, travel, gear, etc. No way is UConn walking away from that investment. Plus, as I have stated before, recent history points to that the football/basketball power teams will continue to dominate in basketball, too. Since 2000, there have been 60 Final Four slots (15 years) and only 8, or 13% of those slots were taken by programs that did not also play D1 football (Marquette '03, George Mason '06, Georgetown '07, Villanova '09, Bulter '10, Butler '11, VCU '11, Witchita St '13). None of those won the title. The last basketball team to win the title that did not also play D1 football was in 1985 with Villanova, nearly 30 years ago. UConn has to survive in football in order to succeed in basketball.

Technically, we were the last ones to win the title without a D-I program (1999).

Your valid point, however, mirrors everything that Lew Perkins shouted for years until The Rent was approved.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Trust me, you're the most pathetic motherf---er in the thread.

You're a one-trick pony and dumb one at that - go away.

You realize you are doing the same thing in the Big East thread on the basketball board? I can't figure out where you and I even disagree on this issue.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Absolutely right. I again call for that futile and stupid gesture. Bolting to the MAC is the sort of out-of-the-box thinking we need right now...as is petitioning the NFC East for membership. But I know we can do better. Anybody know if bombing Pearl Harbor is still on the table?

I know you used the MAC to try and illustrate that my position is silly, but the AAC is just a hair better than the MAC in football in Sagarin or Colley. So we might as well have joined the MAC, although the MAC actually has a higher basketball RPI than the AAC right now.

pnow15

Previously pnete
Reaction Score
The entire concept of the P-5 concept is antithetical to the American tradition. Probably against antitrust laws as well.
That being said, isn't the designation of P-5 a little self serving and premature.
This somehow suggest that these are the best teams without even stepping on a field.
Take away ten schools and the rest of the other schools in the P-5 looks very ordinary to me.
So, really this is just an attempt by a few elite programs to dominate the television market and money.
So, why not let these few programs stop pretending that they are college teams and announce they are semi-pro teams playing in a college town. Does anyone believe these are student-athletes?
Good news for UConn; if it continues to win championships in one of the two major income producing sports, it puts the lie to the term Power 5 and someone will have to take us in.
Then we can be part of this unholy alliance.

Reaction Score
USF, UCF, Cincy, BYU and UConn. Our biggest assets are success and tv market. Our biggest problem, geography.

I'm a little surprised more people don't mention Boise State in that regard.

Reaction Score
I'm a little surprised more people don't mention Boise State in that regard.

Boise St has football; but, is not known is other sports (content), academics (ranked #63 in West REGIONAL universities), and a small TV market (market rank #111).

Reaction Score
I think there are a few G5 teams that can move. Any P5 will be a better fit than the AAC. I really thought that UConn would be going to the ACC in my lifetime, but it doesn't appear to be the case any longer. Never give up hope though.

Why do you say this? I'm not arguing with you - but why is ACC basically "no shot?"

Reaction Score
Why do you say this? I'm not arguing with you - but why is ACC basically "no shot?"
I always thought they would be the landing site. However, unless ND is forced to join, there is no need for them to expand. If they were to expand, I think there is too much animosity toward UConn from former BE brethren. If Cinci and Memphis go the the B12, then maybe UConn would still be a possibility, but I believe this southern leaning conference would likely choose one of the Florida schools. UConn football has deteriorated so badly this year that it has really tainted the perception of UConn as a P5 candidate. I hate to be negative, but those are my thoughts.

Reaction Score
I always thought they would be the landing site. However, unless ND is forced to join, there is no need for them to expand. If they were to expand, I think there is too much animosity toward UConn from former BE brethren. If Cinci and Memphis go the the B12, then maybe UConn would still be a possibility, but I believe this southern leaning conference would likely choose one of the Florida schools. UConn football has deteriorated so badly this year that it has really tainted the perception of UConn as a P5 candidate. I hate to be negative, but those are my thoughts.

Just five seasons ago, Louisville football was Kragthorped. Just two seasons ago, Louisville football made Paul Pasqualoni look like Bill Parcells at Papa John's. Things change.

Our current status is hardly permanent. We can and will rise again in football, and win a few more basketball championships along the way.

Reaction Score

Which of the BE breathren other than BC hate us? WOuld Maimai still hate us? Why would they even care about us? I heard two different POV on Cuse. Pitt od htey hate us?

Whatother Florida schools could beat us out? USF? Really? Would the teams from SOuth Carolina and Florida want another Florida team?

Reaction Score
Which of the BE breathren other than BC hate us? WOuld Maimai still hate us? Why would they even care about us? I heard two different POV on Cuse. Pitt od htey hate us?

Whatother Florida schools could beat us out? USF? Really? Would the teams from SOuth Carolina and Florida want another Florida team?
The president of Miami stated that she would never schedule a game with UConn as long as she was there (she is retiring) Syracuse has bad mouthed UConn in the past. I don't think Pitt hates UConn. I don't know. But..they were backstabbers during BE negotiations with ESPN before the final collapse. Join the three former BE schools with the southern football schools and you have enough votes to keep UConn out. A sleeping giant in Florida is UCF. They could be candidates. They have over 50,000 students and an academic and demographic profile similar to Louisville.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom