Some Comments from Swofford | The Boneyard

Some Comments from Swofford

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Swofford spoke on a variety of topics in his half hour speech to the Sports Club. He expects the major college conferences to remain stable for a while after a “tumultuous decade” that saw many teams switch conferences, including his own league’s addition of four teams in the last three years.

“For the next 12 to 15 years, I don’t think you’ll see movement in the Power Five conferences,” Swofford said. “Unless someone grows and adds a team not currently in the Power Five, but I don’t think you’ll see any teams moving within it.”

Swofford also said that the ACC has been “quietly aggressive” in working toward an ACC television channel, similar to the SEC’s venture with ESPN that debuted this year.

http://www.heraldsun.com/breakingnews/x761892513/ACC-commissioner-Swofford-8-teams-ideal-for-playoff

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
Swofford spoke on a variety of topics in his half hour speech to the Sports Club. He expects the major college conferences to remain stable for a while after a “tumultuous decade” that saw many teams switch conferences, including his own league’s addition of four teams in the last three years.

“For the next 12 to 15 years, I don’t think you’ll see movement in the Power Five conferences,” Swofford said. “Unless someone grows and adds a team not currently in the Power Five, but I don’t think you’ll see any teams moving within it.”

Swofford also said that the ACC has been “quietly aggressive” in working toward an ACC television channel, similar to the SEC’s venture with ESPN that debuted this year.

http://www.heraldsun.com/breakingnews/x761892513/ACC-commissioner-Swofford-8-teams-ideal-for-playoff

He's also pissing and moaning about getting the playoffs up to 8 teams because FSU is falling despite being undefeated (and possibly because ND is putting him out there).

Reaction Score
I don't think he's wrong, and I don't there's bad news there..Teams won't be moving between the power conferences with GOR's in place, but certainly teams outside of the P5 (like us) could be added.

Nothing newsworthy there really.

But regardless, duck*#k Swofford and the classless conference he runs

Reaction Score
He's also pissing and moaning about getting the playoffs up to 8 teams because FSU is falling despite being undefeated (and possibly because ND is putting him out there).

We want the playoffs to go to eight, it may spur expansion.....

but at the very least an eight team playoff would give teams in the American some hope that with an impressive undefeated season they could get into the tournament.

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
We want the playoffs to go to eight, it may spur expansion.....

but at the very least an eight team playoff would give teams in the American some hope that with an impressive undefeated season they could get into the tournament.

I don't know...I kinda want to see the ACC get left out year after year.

pj

Reaction Score
The ACC can't raid any P5 conferences. If there's any realignment involving the ACC, it will be an ACC team leaving. Swofford is not going to give any hints that the ACC might be fragile or vulnerable to a departure.

Maybe he's right, but I bet the B1G is kicking tires.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
The problem for us is that without movement inside the P5, there's no place for us to go - we need another school and there's no one outside of the P5 who can move with us into the conferences where we might be a fit.

The Big Ten already kicked the ACC's tires - the tires kicked back.

That horse is dead.

Reaction Score
The problem for us is that without movement inside the P5, there's no place for us to go - we need another school and there's no one outside of the P5 who can move with us into the conferences where we might be a fit.

That horse is dead.

The tires kicked bask so hard that one of its tow prized basketball tires fell off and is rolling down (Chapel) Hill at an astounding speed into a tar pit while it's prized football tire is one loss or one more 'non-arrest' from exploding.

Reaction Score

That horse is dead.
I think there are a few G5 teams that can move. Any P5 will be a better fit than the AAC. I really thought that UConn would be going to the ACC in my lifetime, but it doesn't appear to be the case any longer. Never give up hope though.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
The tires kicked bask so hard that one of its tow prized basketball tires fell off and is rolling down (Chapel) Hill at an astounding speed into a tar pit while it's prized football tire is one loss or one more 'non-arrest' from exploding.

Meaningless.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score

That horse is dead.

Reaction Score
A couple of responses.

On the 8 team playoff idea. The ACC absolutely needs this to get playoff slots as only 1 ACC school in the last 10 years, FSU last year, has ended up ranked in the top 4 at the end of the season (using the poll as a proxy for the top 4 teams). Not making the football playoff on an annual basis would weaken the ACC.

On conference realignment. Nobody has litigated GORs so nobody knows how valid they are. That said, GORs are an obstacle to movement. But, schools/conferences that are looking to move will be courting years before GORs expire. In 3 to 5 years, if conferences don't announce they are extending their GORs or it is learned that some schools do not want to extend them, conference realignment is back on.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
How is this remotely surprising? We already knew that nobody is moving until one of the GORs starts to run down. I think the Big XII is on the clock in that regard. I suppose it is theoretically possible an SEC could leave, but Mizzou seems happy in their new home.

So expansion would need to be (a) to an odd number or (b) by the Big XII or Pac 12. It's pretty simple. The ACC and B1G don't have two G5 schools they would want.

Reaction Score
Here's what is going to happen:
- Other commissioner's chime in and agree it should go to 8 teams.
- P5 conferences will have their regular season champion receive an auto-bid leaving 3 at-large bids.
- ND realizes they will have a much better shot at the playoff if they join the ACC full-time.
- Hell freezes over.
- ND joins the ACC full-time along with.....

Reaction Score

Talking about UCONN?

Reaction Score
USF, UCF, Cincy, BYU and UConn. Our biggest assets are success and tv market. Our biggest problem, geography.

Reaction Score
Why are we paying attention to anything this hypocrite has to say.
When asked about the The Big East lawsuit against the ACC his quote.was.
Every Institution of higher leaning has the right to participate unecumbered with fellow like minded institutions.
Fast forward to 2012 and and he institutes not only a punitive exit fee but a GOR to keep his conference from falling apart.
This man was say anything that serves his interest.

Reactions: pj

pj

Reaction Score

Talking about UCONN?

I think the P5 and networks as a whole are looking at how they can maximize revenue while avoiding an antitrust lawsuit or judgement. They maximize revenue by forming a cartel/monopoly. There is a political element to this. Inviting the "most likely to sue and win" schools mitigates risk. There are also some key markets, such as Connecticut / New England / New York, which are underpenetrated. But, it is not obviously in the interest of any one conference to add weaker or geographically distant schools. The conferences would want subsidies from the networks or other conferences to add. Too much collusion in arranging these deals would create a paper trail supporting an antitrust lawsuit. So the whole thing is tricky to bring about.

Reaction Score
I see a "Day of the Jackal" scenario of a lone gunman training deep in the woods; advancing to a slope of an office park in Greensboro, NC. Focusing his sights on a certain commissioner with Big Hair.

That's my view ...

On a different subject, I do think this could go a few different ways. (i.) The B1G & SEC money is going to get outrageously larger than the ACC. That scenario makes Florida State, Clemson, Georgia Tech, NC State, Virginia, Virginia Tech squishy. The Virginia's could go B1G; some could go either. The calculus of fighting the GOR is easily reading that a $30m a year differential has real consequences. (ii.) Like recent times, the ESPN contract year is close (or Fox with others), and the ONLY way to get a marked increase in their "change of composition" earning them more incremental dollars is taking a Program or 3. (iii.) the B12 sees the error of not having the Championship game & starts dominoes. Taking UCF/(or)USF and Cincinnati (for WVU) makes some sense. The tide rolls and other P5 see more incremental dollars available from TV contracts (again). San Diego State goes Pac14 ... BYU?

My real sense is that this market isn't stable ... no matter how many times a Swofford says that it is. No one has any trust in the academic community; all are looking for the next move ... and then how can I capitalize.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I suspect the question has already been asked by Herbst, but i wonder if the ACC would accept a non-football membership for UConn.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom