Solo is impressive | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Solo is impressive

Reaction Score
I agree that in HS his handle was sub par, but he has been noticeably better this season than last. I's argue that he's already well beyond 2nd year hawk in that way. He's obviously not overly conformable dribbling in traffic yet, but that's not that unusual for a frosh.
If you forget about HS games, and only go off of what we've seen the last 5 games, he is an above average ball handler for a frosh 2 guard, and i'm not uncomfortable when he has the ball on the break, or on the perimeter. I think any issues that he may have are that his mind is still not slowed down to adjust to the pace of the game, and that just improves with time and reps.

Meh, agree to disagree on this one.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Have you noticed Ball when he is in a huddle or on the sidelines, you can see his inensity and concentration when he listens to what Hurley is saying. Never see him with his head down. Looks really coachable, so to your point, whatever Hurley and crew decide to do with him, I'll bet on him doing it.
I love it. Reminds me a lot of Andre when it comes to attitude, motor, and talent all in one. It’s really just about what direction the coaches want to push him towards because he doesn’t seem like a kid that’s not going to put in the work to do what’s asked of him.

Reaction Score
Absolutely. Solo is right on track. He won't ever be a PG or attack the rim like Castle, but with work he'll be a solid system guy and an All Big East defender if he continues to improve on that end.
I disagree with this. He will start to attack once he gets more confidence. He has the atletic ability to attack the rim. He was touted as a slasher in high school and not a great shooter. He just needs more confidence and then you will see the attacking the rim. He is smaller than Castle so he has to get use to the taller players.

Reaction Score
I disagree with this. He will start to attack once he gets more confidence. He has the atletic ability to attack the rim. He was touted as a slasher in high school and not a great shooter. He just needs more confidence and then you will see the attacking the rim. He is smaller than Castle so he has to get use to the taller players.

Per my other posts, I don't mean straight line drives. I'm talking about the ability to get a defender on his hip and make plays, or the acrobatic finishing and touch at the rim. His driving and finishing package has been pretty basic historically but obviously hyper-athletic.

Reaction Score
The game is still too fast for him. But it is slowing down. He is nowhere near the player he will be in March.

Looked to me that he was rushing his shot. When he catches up he will be huge off the bench.

Reaction Score
He looked confident shooting that 25 footer, only problem is he was 22 feet from the hoop. That three was pure adrenaline.
Looked to me that he was rushing his shot. When he catches up he will be huge off the bench.

In limited minutes I thought he was struggling a bit with defensive rotations. DH wil help him get over the hump.

Reaction Score
Solo is gonna be good and his handle is fine. There was a play yesterday when he brought it across the timeline and in one nice easy motion, he went behind his back very smoothly and continued his dribbling motion. little things you notice that pass the eye test ya know?

dingaling

“There’s no better feeling than winning.” K.Powers
Reaction Score
Absolutely. Solo is right on track. He won't ever be a PG or attack the rim like Castle, but with work he'll be a solid system guy and an All Big East defender if he continues to improve on that end.
I think never is a stretch. People grow and learn. Hes a freshman with athleticism. Im sure its a possibility.

caw

Reaction Score
I agree that in HS his handle was sub par, but he has been noticeably better this season than last. I's argue that he's already well beyond 2nd year hawk in that way. He's obviously not overly conformable dribbling in traffic yet, but that's not that unusual for a frosh.
If you forget about HS games, and only go off of what we've seen the last 5 games, he is an above average ball handler for a frosh 2 guard, and i'm not uncomfortable when he has the ball on the break, or on the perimeter. I think any issues that he may have are that his mind is still not slowed down to adjust to the pace of the game, and that just improves with time and reps.

Hawk is not who you want to be compared to for handles or finishing near the rim. But sure Ball is better.

Reaction Score
How many freshmen guards have we had who could make a play like this? I think the shot will come eventually, but in the meantime, it was so nice to see some of the dynamic athleticism that we’ve heard about. I’m excited to watch this kid develop.

Reaction Score
I love how aggressively the kid cuts. He isn’t a Hawkins type, running around screens in circles but whenever he feels an overplay, he jets toward the rim.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
I love what Solo is gonna bring to this team, but I’m not sure what people are watching. His strengths offensively are mostly off ball; cutting, open shooting, running the floor, putbacks. His on ball development will be key to his upside as a pro, but I’m not expecting much playmaking out of freshman Ball. The fact he can help bring the ball up, or help break a press, is gravy imo.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
I think we've been so spoiled by Castle and Karaban, two of the most polished freshman we've ever had in this program. The overwhelming majority of the time even our really good freshmen look like Ball this year: flashes of brilliance, but also some glaring weaknesses that will need to be improved. Of the non-Castle freshmen, Ball is clearly the most polished, but he still has some work to do.
Castle has played 2 games. He might end up spoiling us, but the ;2nd of the 2 games - I was there - was much better than the first but against a way overmatched Stonybrook. Hopefully his injury won’t slow him down and he will shine against better teams.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Seems to be fitting right in on defense, and his 3-ball will start to fall with experience.
That's another thing so fun about this team. Whoever gets the call seems to get right with the program. Even that stretch with the subs and Newton, they ran their stuff.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Seems to be fitting right in on defense, and his 3-ball will start to fall with experience. Where he really needs to focus his skill work on is dribbling north-south and passing.
Built like purvis

Reaction Score
Ball = extreme build + much spring

Attachments

• kangaroo.jpg
    kangaroo.jpg
    130.4 KB · Views: 30
Reaction Score
In limited minutes I thought he was struggling a bit with defensive rotations. DH wil help him get over the hump.
Hurley mentioned about how Jaylin was a little bit behind on some of the terminology and stuff during preseason, and then unfortunately he picked up the groin injury and it set him back even further. Not sure how much that's factoring in, especially since Ross was getting hyped up all preseason and is now getting DNPs, but the word from preseason was that he needed a little more refining.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
He also seems to be following the prime directive for a new ballplayer playing at the next level: First, do no harm.

87Xfer

Resident Ignorant Dope
Reaction Score
Love the absolute statements about what a kid can or cannot be when they are 5 games into a career. Lets reconvene once a month on what Ball can or cannot do at/for UConn. He may surprise all of us.
without the absolute statements, the yard would have basically no content.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom