Solo is impressive | The Boneyard

Solo is impressive

Reaction Score
Seems to be fitting right in on defense, and his 3-ball will start to fall with experience. Where he really needs to focus his skill work on is dribbling north-south and passing.
He’s clearly bought in on the defensive end and has the work ethic and intensity that Hurley demands. Agreed, some of his offensive skills lead him to go quiet on the offensive end for stretches but he’s got the talent to be a big piece later this season and an absolute stud next year.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
He and Samson are a high wire act. So much physical talent for this kid. Glad he has the heart to go with it. Every game we see how these guys are starting to fit in and their gifts unwrapped. Seeing him and Samson stepping up last night in the bright lights of MSG was awesome. Diarra ditto. They are all starting to believe in themselves and the team. The closeout in the end left me speechless. Texas kept fighting but they were not going to be denied. Karaban daggers, free throws by the guards. Just Magnificent! Hope some share who were in attendance.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
Seems to be fitting right in on defense, and his 3-ball will start to fall with experience. Where he really needs to focus his skill work on is dribbling north-south and passing.

I think we've been so spoiled by Castle and Karaban, two of the most polished freshman we've ever had in this program. The overwhelming majority of the time even our really good freshmen look like Ball this year: flashes of brilliance, but also some glaring weaknesses that will need to be improved. Of the non-Castle freshmen, Ball is clearly the most polished, but he still has some work to do.

Reaction Score
I think we've been so spoiled by Castle and Karaban, two of the most polished freshman we've ever had in this program. The overwhelming majority of the time even our really good freshmen look like Ball this year: flashes of brilliance, but also some glaring weaknesses that will need to be improved. Of the non-Castle freshmen, Ball is clearly the most polished, but he still has some work to do.

Absolutely. Solo is right on track. He won't ever be a PG or attack the rim like Castle, but with work he'll be a solid system guy and an All Big East defender if he continues to improve on that end.

Reaction Score
Absolutely. Solo is right on track. He won't ever be a PG or attack the rim like Castle, but with work he'll be a solid system guy and an All Big East defender if he continues to improve on that end.
Love the absolute statements about what a kid can or cannot be when they are 5 games into a career. Lets reconvene once a month on what Ball can or cannot do at/for UConn. He may surprise all of us.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
I get that these guys are great and we’re excited. But Ray Allen and Rip Hamilton used to be freshmen here. That’s before we dive into the way less NBA accomplished Ryan Boatright’s of the world.

Freshmen playing well is not a new concept for us.

Reaction Score
I get that these guys are great and we’re excited. But Ray Allen and Rip Hamilton used to be freshmen here. That’s before we dive into the way less NBA accomplished Ryan Boatright’s of the world.

Freshmen playing well is not a new concept for us.
But your making house point. Ray and Rip are rare. Usually, freshman -even the good ones, will show their weaknesses throughout the early part of they career.

Just recently Hawkins showed a few flashes of brilliance his freshman year but it took until his sophomore year to put it all together (and to stay healthy).

Reaction Score
Im not nearly as down on his handle as you are. Ive noticed a couple bad plays so far, but i feel like they're because he's sped up, not so much that his handle is poor.

I think he will improve as his level of comfort does. just my 0.02

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
But your making house point. Ray and Rip are rare. Usually, freshman -even the good ones, will show their weaknesses throughout the early part of they career.

Just recently Hawkins showed a few flashes of brilliance his freshman year but it took until his sophomore year to put it all together (and to stay healthy).
Like I said it’s before we get to the Ryan Boatright’s of the world. I can probably name a big time freshman on any notable team we had, even during the Ollie era before ish hit the fan.

When it comes to Ball my biggest thing with him is just offensive aggressiveness. If the coaches decide they want to use him and groom him in that way, he can 100% be a lottery pick PG with his talent.

Even though he hasn’t been very aggressive when it comes to putting the ball on the floor so far, he’s been masterful at moving without it and crashing the boards to still make an impact. That kind of thing is hard for a freshman to have a knack for and is very impressive.

Reaction Score
Yeah it was pretty noticeable his hesitation on attacking the rim when given the opportunity last night, and when Tristan was overburdened with creating everything off the dribble and setting the table. He's so athletic and such a competitor that its hard not to be excited about him as a frosh though. Confident shooter too

Reaction Score
Im not nearly as down on his handle as you are. Ive noticed a couple bad plays so far, but i feel like they're because he's sped up, not so much that his handle is poor.

I think he will improve as his level of comfort does. just my 0.02

I've watched the kid play probably 15-20x. He's not a lead ballhandler by any stretch of the imagination but will be a solid secondary option. He'll develop, but you don't magically turn into handling the ball like a 3, to a PG in a year.

I could see him being more successful handling and passing in the NBA where the game is more open--similar to Hawkins this year w the Pels.

Reaction Score
Like I said it’s before we get to the Ryan Boatright’s of the world. I can probably name a big time freshman on any notable team we had, even during the Ollie era before ish hit the fan.

When it comes to Ball my biggest thing with him is just offensive aggressiveness. If the coaches decide they want to use him and groom him in that way, he can 100% be a lottery pick PG with his talent.

Even though he hasn’t been very aggressive when it comes to putting the ball on the floor so far, he’s been masterful at moving without it and crashing the boards to still make an impact. That kind of thing is hard for a freshman to have a knack for and is very impressive.
Have you noticed Ball when he is in a huddle or on the sidelines, you can see his inensity and concentration when he listens to what Hurley is saying. Never see him with his head down. Looks really coachable, so to your point, whatever Hurley and crew decide to do with him, I'll bet on him doing it.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
He and Samson are a high wire act. So much physical talent for this kid. Glad he has the heart to go with it. Every game we see how these guys are starting to fit in and their gifts unwrapped. Seeing him and Samson stepping up last night in the bright lights of MSG was awesome. Diarra ditto. They are all starting to believe in themselves and the team. The closeout in the end left me speechless. Texas kept fighting but they were not going to be denied. Karaban daggers, free throws by the guards. Just Magnificent! Hope some share who were in attendance.
The value of last night's game is immeasurable. The team had to fight against a quality opponent, who did not quit and kept punching back on the world's biggest stage. We had to do it without our future lottery pick point guard and with our future lottery pick center still working his way back from injury. We had to do it with bench depth and guys stepping up into bigger rolls. Getting that confidence and experience in November is absolutely invaluable.

Reaction Score
I've watched the kid play probably 15-20x. He's not a lead ballhandler by any stretch of the imagination but will be a solid secondary option. He'll develop, but you don't magically turn into handling the ball like a 3, to a PG in a year.

I could see him being more successful handling and passing in the NBA where the game is more open--similar to Hawkins this year w the Pels.
I'd argue that Solo's ballhandling at this point is even better than Hawkins ability was last season. The kid can handle the rock pretty well from what I've seen these first few games. He hasn't attempted any north-south drives yet, but those are probably going to be in his arsenal as he gains more confidence

Reaction Score
His toughness and moxie is what stands out to me. He's not afraid to mix it up and make a play. The fact that he's solidly built and physically ready for this level certainly helps.

Reaction Score
I'd argue that Solo's ballhandling at this point is even better than Hawkins ability was last season. The kid can handle the rock pretty well from what I've seen these first few games. He hasn't attempted any north-south drives yet, but those are probably going to be in his arsenal as he gains more confidence

He handles kind of like a 2nd year Hawkins level-ish. Not totally useless, be he isn't going to break a press or anything. With his athleticism I'd like to see him getting downhill with a push-cross. It will come in time.

Reaction Score
He handles kind of like a 2nd year Hawkins level-ish. Not totally useless, be he isn't going to break a press or anything. With his athleticism I'd like to see him getting downhill with a push-cross. It will come in time.
He looks more of a natural at it than Hawk ever did. I usually agree with everything you say when it comes to player scouting but my eyes are telling me a different story on this one hahah

Reaction Score

I agree that in HS his handle was sub par, but he has been noticeably better this season than last. I's argue that he's already well beyond 2nd year hawk in that way. He's obviously not overly conformable dribbling in traffic yet, but that's not that unusual for a frosh.
If you forget about HS games, and only go off of what we've seen the last 5 games, he is an above average ball handler for a frosh 2 guard, and i'm not uncomfortable when he has the ball on the break, or on the perimeter. I think any issues that he may have are that his mind is still not slowed down to adjust to the pace of the game, and that just improves with time and reps.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom