So how long before UVA and GT Jump? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

So how long before UVA and GT Jump?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I think the conferences are more or less set as they are, with maybe a defection here and a defection there. That said, there are really only 2 ACC schools that fit in the same mold as the majority of the B1G universities.... NCSU and VT. Neither NCSU or VT are flagship, but both are decent sized (probably not to the B1G's measure) land grant universities with a larger living alumni base. The rest are private and public ivy schools that would be a square peg in a B1G hole. Clemson and FSU are just too far out of the way geographically and culturally would never fit in the B1G. But both NCSU and VT lack AAU membership, so it's extremely unlikely that either will be considered part of the equation. UConn also suffers the same affliction as NCSU and VT. As a side note, the AAU has only had a net gain of one member (gained 4 and lost 3) since 2000, so it's a tough sell. And I think you need 18 votes to get in.

Besides, I think Delany is pushing for UVa and UNC... maybe even with blinders on. But I like your thinking.

NC State and VPI are not going to the B1G and I disagree completely that they are a fit with the B1G. While they are big state schools they are also ag and tech focused. The majority of the B1G schools have medical/law schools and their research is focused there. UNC and UVA align much more with the B1G than NC State or VPI and this is why they are the likely candidates in NC and VA. I suppose if UNC and UVA absolutely refuse to go to the B1G and they are desperate, they would take them but they would stick out from the other B1G members.

NC State and VPI align much closer with the SEC and that would be the likely landing place if the SEC wants to move into NC and VA. I think VPI is preffered over UVA for the SEC but I think the SEC would take UNC first if given the choice. I dont think UNC would go to the SEC though.

Reaction Score
UNC = UVa in culture. Nothing in common with land grant schools... and the B1G consists of 11 land grant schools (flagship or not). Those 2 are more of a "wine and cheese" crowds. Maybe Wisconsin would like them if they were a "beer and cheese" crowd.;)

The board understands quite a bit about some of each school's academics, culture and values. What some less-knowing boards place emphasis on is a school's recent football success, thus making the school a slam-dunk candidate. The Big Ten is looking for a compatible school, because football programs can come and go, but a school's configuration and values will persist for decades. This is why Louisville would have never been placed in the Big Ten, but UConn has a very meaningful chance. I am still shaking my head about the Louisville to the ACC move. It is hard to see Louisville's addition as anything but a reactive move by the ACC to the loss of high academic, founding ACC member Maryland. The Big Ten was likely amazed. The BIG is likely trying to cement school number 16 with UConn. The ACC has made several sage-if self-serving moves, but I think they will rue the day that they passed on UConn and took Louisville.

pj

Reaction Score
The board understands quite a bit about some of each school's academics, culture and values. What some less-knowing boards place emphasis on is a school's recent football success, thus making the school a slam-dunk candidate. The Big Ten is looking for a compatible school, because football programs can come and go, but a school's configuration and values will persist for decades. This is why Louisville would have never been placed in the Big Ten, but UConn has a very meaningful chance. I am still shaking my head about the Louisville to the ACC move. It is hard to see Louisville's addition as anything but a reactive move by the ACC to the loss of high academic, founding ACC member Maryland. The Big Ten was likely amazed. The BIG is likely trying to cement school number 16 with UConn. The ACC has made several sage-if self-serving moves, but I think they will rue the day that they passed on UConn and took Louisville.

Yes. I was amazed. To keep the Big 12 out of Kentucky, they allowed the Big Ten to take the leading athletics program in New England / New York. For a league that has historically claimed to represent the "Atlantic Coast," that is an amazing set of priorities. It suggests they were more motivated by spite toward or a perceived one-on-one competition with the Big 12 than by their own strategic interests; and by a very short-term perspective based on Louisville's recent athletic success.

Last edited:

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Yes. I was amazed. To keep the Big 12 out of Kentucky, they allowed the Big Ten to take the leading athletics program in New England / New York. For a league that has historically claimed to represent the "Atlantic Coast," that is an amazing set of priorities. It suggests they were more motivated by spite toward or a perceived one-on-one competition with the Big 12 than by their own strategic interests; and by a very short-term perspective based on Louisville's recent athletic success.

I missed the annoucement where the Big Ten added a New England school. Must have come in a Scott Gray commentary.

pj

Reaction Score
I missed the annoucement where the Big Ten added a New England school. Must have come in a Scott Gray commentary.

I didn't say the Big Ten did take us, I said the ACC made the decision to allow them the opportunity, rather than let the Big 12 have the opportunity to add Louisville.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I didn't say the Big Ten did take us, I said the ACC made the decision to allow them the opportunity, rather than let the Big 12 have the opportunity to add Louisville.

Well until the Big Ten actually does that the ACC adds a new member in New England with one phone call.

Reaction Score
NC State and VPI are not going to the B1G and I disagree completely that they are a fit with the B1G. While they are big state schools they are also ag and tech focused. The majority of the B1G schools have medical/law schools and their research is focused there. UNC and UVA align much more with the B1G than NC State or VPI and this is why they are the likely candidates in NC and VA. I suppose if UNC and UVA absolutely refuse to go to the B1G and they are desperate, they would take them but they would stick out from the other B1G members.

NC State and VPI align much closer with the SEC and that would be the likely landing place if the SEC wants to move into NC and VA. I think VPI is preffered over UVA for the SEC but I think the SEC would take UNC first if given the choice. I dont think UNC would go to the SEC though.

NCSU aligns extremely well with the SEC as well. In some ways, UVa aligns with the SEC better than Tech.

Reaction Score
I could care less who aligns with who anymore. Vandy is in the SEC. Louisville ACC. TCU Big 12. There is no rhyme or reason. Only short-term greed.

Reaction Score
I no longer watch college football. Unfortunately, my teenage son does and constantly has sports center on. I may even stop watching college hoops, the love of my life. Greed has destroyed the games and left me "monitoring" message boards (why I don't know)

Reaction Score
but outside of football, VPI has really bad athletics.

Not "really bad" as you say. Nothing to write home about either. #37 in the 2013/14 Director's Cup ahead of Illinois, Purdue, Northwestern, Iowa and Rutgers... and just one spot behind Indiana and 5 spots behind UMCP (UMCP #32 and VT#37). Last year, women's soccer reached the final 4, swimming and wrestling won the ACC and T&F finished well at the end of the year. Baseball and Softball have good and bad seasons, but seem to be OK. Football was mediocre last year and probably still is (even lost to UMCP). Basketball was horrible.

Maybe the B1G craves a UVa - UMCP basketball rivalry versus a PSU - VT football game every year. I don't know what the conference wants. But when I watch B1G football games, those crowds are special. UVa won't bring anything special to B1G football. Basketball is gaining great momentum in that conference, but football is still king in the B1G.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
While I believe that UVA is preferred, VPI is most definitely a potential Big10 candidate. They have a large alumni base (one of the biggest reasons flagship schools are desired), a great market presence in a desired market, and very high AAU metrics for schools not in The AAU. Now they have hockey and lacrosse conferences, my guess is that non football/basketball sports don't really move the needle either way.

UNC,UVA,VA Tech, Duke (In North Carolina, great academics and basketball), Ga Tech and even FSU could all possibly make it into the Big Ten if any are willing to bolt. It only takes one of these to pair up with UConn. I think that it will be one of these.

Reaction Score
the variables to CR are infinite, I just hope someone goes somewhere so it opens a spot for us anywhere else in the p4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom