So how long before UVA and GT Jump? | The Boneyard

So how long before UVA and GT Jump?

Status
Not open for further replies.

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
Notes from a Jim Calhoun private function discussion

He was talking about cable boxes and markets and rating, etc....he knows whats going on.
He said if Maryland gets even a small win in their lawsuit, it starts up again.

He named Virginia and GTech specifically as 2 schools that he thinks will move

I gotta think shaving 20 million off of the exit price constitutes a small win.

@uconndennis When's your next get together with Coach?

Note: ACC GOR signed a month after this :(

Reaction Score
He was quoted before our last game with Syracuse that he thought we would be in the ACC in the not too far distant future...

Love JC but he knows nothing about CR

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score
Fairfield 1st said:
He was quoted before our last game with Syracuse that he thought we would be in the ACC in the not too far distant future... Love JC but he knows nothing about CR
In JC's defense he said ACC before the GOR. Last year at an event he said we needed to look to the B1G.

Reaction Score
I could easily see UVA with UConn. Or alternatively, VT & UConn. I think that GT is too deep south of an island despite their greatly compatible engineering school and academics to likely be one of the first schools from the ACC into the Big Ten.

In is interesting to note that the SEC and the Big Ten have passed on opportunities to get in Big states in each other's territory. As examples, the SEC did not take Pitt or UC and the Big Ten did not move in the hot large Atlanta media market where UG (and the SEC) are. As another example, the Big Ten did not take FSU, despite being an obvious football power with strengthening academics.

Reaction Score
I lived in Georgia for three years. Ga Tech is the equivalent of BC. Tight alumni group but really outside of a niche audience they do not bring Atlanta (biggest transplant city I have seen) eyeballs just like BC hasn't raised an iota of interest since Flutie. Outside of Atlanta UGA is everything except as you head towards Columbus where Auburn interest grows. I just never thought the Ga Tech argument had any validity after the ACC's failed experiment with BC.

Reaction Score
I lived in Georgia for three years. Ga Tech is the equivalent of BC. Tight alumni group but really outside of a niche audience they do not bring Atlanta (biggest transplant city I have seen) eyeballs just like BC hasn't raised an iota of interest since Flutie. Outside of Atlanta UGA is everything except as you head towards Columbus where Auburn interest grows. I just never thought the Ga Tech argument had any validity after the ACC's failed experiment with BC.

But, unlike BC, Georgia Tech has actually won a few football national championships (4 I think, 1990 being the most recent ) and even made it to the NCAA men's basketball title game once (and lost to UConn in 2004). BC's strength in hockey is wasted as the ACC does not even sponsor hockey.

Reaction Score

As a resident of Atlanta for the past half dozen years until this summer, I completely concur. It's a transient campus located in a transient city and the graduates move on to other places after graduation. The city itself, as you said, has a TON of people that are not from there. They're from all over the south and beyond. There's just not much of a GT buzz in the city. Georgia gets some play from the locals because there are a lot of SEC fans in general, but Tech really is an afterthought.

It's really too bad as GT fits the Big Ten culture and criteria perfectly, but they simply don't have enough pull in the market to really make a huge financial windfall possible. That's not to say the Big Ten won't take them, but it's not a slam dunk financially.

Reaction Score
I could easily see UVA with UConn. Or alternatively, VT & UConn. I think that GT is too deep south of an island despite their greatly compatible engineering school and academics to likely be one of the first schools from the ACC into the Big Ten.

In is interesting to note that the SEC and the Big Ten have passed on opportunities to get in Big states in each other's territory. As examples, the SEC did not take Pitt or UC and the Big Ten did not move in the hot large Atlanta media market where UG (and the SEC) are. As another example, the Big Ten did not take FSU, despite being an obvious football power with strengthening academics.

As much as I dispise UVA, I'd love to have them in the Big Ten. As a Maryland fan, I'd like to play the Hoos in soccer, lacrosse, basketball, and football every year. It just doesn't feel right not playing them. I wouldn't mind Georgia Tech but I don't feel compelled to advocate on their behalf. Besides, the whole "on an island" thing is very real for them.

As for Virginia Tech, I don't see a path for them to join the Big Ten. They aren't AAU. They aren't a flagship school. It's not a bad school academically, but outside of football, VPI has really bad athletics. I don't see the B1G presidents making room for Tech at the table. If they leave the ACC, I'd think it'd be for the SEC if they'll have them.

dayooper

It's what I do. I drink and I know things.
Reaction Score
As much as I dispise UVA, I'd love to have them in the Big Ten. As a Maryland fan, I'd like to play the Hoos in soccer, lacrosse, basketball, and football every year. It just doesn't feel right not playing them. I wouldn't mind Georgia Tech but I don't feel compelled to advocate on their behalf. Besides, the whole "on an island" thing is very real for them.

As for Virginia Tech, I don't see a path for them to join the Big Ten. They aren't AAU. They aren't a flagship school. It's not a bad school academically, but outside of football, VPI has really bad athletics. I don't see the B1G presidents making room for Tech at the table. If they leave the ACC, I'd think it'd be for the SEC if they'll have them.

While I believe that UVA is preferred, VPI is most definitely a potential Big10 candidate. They have a large alumni base (one of the biggest reasons flagship schools are desired), a great market presence in a desired market, and very high AAU metrics for schools not in The AAU. Now they have hockey and lacrosse conferences, my guess is that non football/basketball sports don't really move the needle either way.

Reaction Score
It's really too bad as GT fits the Big Ten culture and criteria perfectly..

Academic and research interests, yes; culture, no. Georgia Tech is much more suited (culturally) to be alongside Duke, Pittsburgh, Miami, BC than any B1G school but Northwestern or, yes, Maryland.

Reaction Score
G. Tech would have to shut down it's athletic dept if it went to the B1G . They along with UVA,UNC & most of the ACC don't fit & it's really just that simple

Reaction Score

Yeah, I was really shocked that the SEC didn't take Cincy or Pitt either.

WTF were they thinking??

Reaction Score
In is interesting to note that the SEC and the Big Ten have passed on opportunities to get in Big states in each other's territory. As examples, the SEC did not take Pitt or UC and the Big Ten did not move in the hot large Atlanta media market where UG (and the SEC) are.

I would be fascinated to see UC in the SEC. I am not saying it's a slam dunk success, but I do not discount it out of hand. I thought WVU could work in the SEC, too. I see Pitt as the ACC school that it is, or B1G -- but it seems now that B1G has no interest.

Reaction Score
While I believe that UVA is preferred, VPI is most definitely a potential Big10 candidate. They have a large alumni base (one of the biggest reasons flagship schools are desired), a great market presence in a desired market, and very high AAU metrics for schools not in The AAU. Now they have hockey and lacrosse conferences, my guess is that non football/basketball sports don't really move the needle either way.

I think the conferences are more or less set as they are, with maybe a defection here and a defection there. That said, there are really only 2 ACC schools that fit in the same mold as the majority of the B1G universities.... NCSU and VT. Neither NCSU or VT are flagship, but both are decent sized (probably not to the B1G's measure) land grant universities with a larger living alumni base. The rest are private and public ivy schools that would be a square peg in a B1G hole. Clemson and FSU are just too far out of the way geographically and culturally would never fit in the B1G. But both NCSU and VT lack AAU membership, so it's extremely unlikely that either will be considered part of the equation. UConn also suffers the same affliction as NCSU and VT. As a side note, the AAU has only had a net gain of one member (gained 4 and lost 3) since 2000, so it's a tough sell. And I think you need 18 votes to get in.

Besides, I think Delany is pushing for UVa and UNC... maybe even with blinders on. But I like your thinking.

Reaction Score
You think NCST and VT fit the B1G mold better than UNC and UVA??

pj

Reaction Score
I think VT fits as well as UVa. UNC of course fits much better than NC State, in academic terms. But in cultural terms, maybe not.

Reaction Score
I'd take VT but UVA is still a better "fit".

Large majority of B1G; Flagship, Public Ivy, AAU

NCST, VT; Not flagships, not Public Ivy, not AAU

UNC, UVA; Flagship, Public Ivy, AAU

I don't think there should be much debate RE which two "fit the B1G mold" better.

Reaction Score
You think NCST and VT fit the B1G mold better than UNC and UVA??

Not Calamitous obviously, but I believe what he is saying. UNC's Athletic Identity is almost entirely tied to being the King of The ACC. They like their Tobacco Road Kingdom, and I don't ever see a future, short of an entire upheaval of the current landscape, that sees them leave. The money alone is not a strong enough motivator for The Heels.

Their fans would hate SEC Basketball, but would absolutely loathe the idea of being in a Yankee Controlled conference. UVA is much of the same. Money is not a major motivator for them, SEC Academics are a nonstarter, and The B1G Headquarters might as well be located on a The Moon.

NCSU and VPI? Hmm? Despite currently not being AAU, both are on the rise and both would likely appreciate collaborating with B1G Members. Both schools could use an additional 10-20 million coming into their ADs every year. Finally like A&M, they might like the idea of stepping out of their rivals' shadows in a new league.

pj

Reaction Score
I'd take VT but UVA is still a better "fit".

Large majority of B1G; Flagship, Public Ivy, AAU

NCST, VT; Not flagships, not Public Ivy, not AAU

UNC, UVA; Flagship, Public Ivy, AAU

I don't think there should be much debate RE which two "fit the B1G mold" better.

Fair enough. But I think the two are closer than you might realize on key metrics:

Enrollment: UVa 21,000, VTech 31,000. Small edge to VTech
Federal research funding (http://mup.asu.edu/research2011.pdf):
- Excluding medical centers: UVa $218 million, VTech $148 million. Small edge to UVa
- Including medical centers: UVa $261 million, VTech $396 million. Edge to VTech
Desire to be in the B1G: I bet VTech beats out UVa by a huge margin.

I also think that the specific profile of where VTech excels (engineering, science) is more B1G-comparable than the liberal arts where UVa excels. At least, more Purdue-comparable.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I think VT fits as well as UVa. UNC of course fits much better than NC State, in academic terms. But in cultural terms, maybe not.

UNC = UVa in culture. Nothing in common with land grant schools... and the B1G consists of 11 land grant schools (flagship or not). Those 2 are more of a "wine and cheese" crowds. Maybe Wisconsin would like them if they were a "beer and cheese" crowd.;)

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
UCONN has a better shot at getting into the PAC12 than Pitt has of getting into the SEC. I almost lost my cookies when I read that.

Reaction Score
UNC = UVa in culture. Nothing in common with land grant schools... and the B1G consists of 11 land grant schools (flagship or not). Those 2 are more of a "wine and cheese" crowds. Maybe Wisconsin would like them if they were a "beer and cheese" crowd.;)
Both are also attached to hip IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahserve34