SNL cold open - NCAA Tournament | Page 2 | The Boneyard

SNL cold open - NCAA Tournament

Reaction Score
There are episodes that really blow, but they still kill it a lot of the time. It’s hard to hit a homerun every time. I don’t think any era was funny the bulk of the time, with the exception of the Farley years. I generally expect 60% or so of the show to make me laugh.

It’s been the case with live comedy for years. Shows like Carol Burnett and others had a similar hit and miss ratio on skits. It’s really difficult to pull off.

Jost and Che are hysterical.

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
There are episodes that really blow, but they still kill it a lot of the time. It’s hard to hit a homerun every time. I don’t think any era was funny the bulk of the time, with the exception of the Farley years. I generally expect 60% or so of the show to make me laugh.

It’s been the case with live comedy for years. Shows like Carol Burnett and others had a similar hit and miss ratio on skits. It’s really difficult to pull off.

Jost and Che are hysterical.
They are good 90% of the time, but the rest of the show is garbage now.

Reaction Score
Lorne Michaels is the greatest recruiter of all time: he found the greatest comedic actors of the modern era

AtlHusky

Let's go outside our minds and play
Reaction Score
I'm coughing now from laughing so hard at the AI sketch. If there's a specific Emmy for sketch comedy makeup, this bit might get nominated.
Last night was the first time in a long time, that I can remember, when both the wife and I Laughed Out Loud at every skit from start to finish. McKinnon in the alien opener, and Chris Stapleton, a must see when he comes my way, was a bonus. As the show progressed, we figured they'd miss on a skit or two at some point, but never did...truly a classic episode.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Last night was the first time in a long time, that I can remember, when both the wife and I Laughed Out Loud at every skit from start to finish. McKinnon in the alien opener, and Chris Stapleton, a must see when he comes my way, was a bonus. As the show progressed, we figured they'd miss on a skit or two at some point, but never did...truly a classic episode.
Totally how we reacted. We always tune out first sketch in. Last night was like we bit on a lunker and got reeled in. Emily Blount helped.

Reaction Score
So glad they did Papyrus 2.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
One little tidbit:

I do remember, during the first or second year after the initial cast (Aykroyd, Belushi, Curtin, Morris, Murray, Newman, Radner), Brian Doyle Murray (Bill's brother) announced during the news portion (presenting it the way a father would of a newborn) that he just became an uncle and spoke about the delivery of the newborn nephew.

I just attempted to search in (no luck) to post here, but considering the timing, there's a very good chance that the nephew was Luke.
From a quick search, I think I've seen that Brian Doyle-Murray's final year associated with SNL was 1982. Luke was born in 1985.

I experience this as a minor disappointment arising from something not being a more delightful coincidence in relation to a pretty niche audience, which is not to dismiss it as nothing. I wish it had been true.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
From a quick search, I think I've seen that Brian Doyle-Murray's final year associated with SNL was 1982. Luke was born in 1985.

I experience this as a minor disappointment arising from something not being a more delightful coincidence in relation to a pretty niche audience, which is not to dismiss it as nothing. I wish it had been true.
Oh well........

Reaction Score
IMO the early through mid 90s casts surpassed the original not-ready for primetime players.
Sketch comedy is tough. The show is still funny. The original cast was good ands set the standard. I would agree the casts covering the full Phil Hartman era was the best. Sandler to ferell. Etc. every year has had a classic skit. But writing is just so hard. Che and Colin are top 3 duo for update.

I will stay off your lawn but can I get my ball out of it first?

Reaction Score
Colin and Che and the SNL commercials are 3 quarters of the their best stuff imo. I can watch Hader in Almost Pizza or Casey Affleck as the Mayor of Dunkins at any time and burst out laughing. Sudekis as JC in the Broncos locker room kills me too.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robrio89

Top Bottom