SNL cold open - NCAA Tournament | The Boneyard

SNL cold open - NCAA Tournament

Reaction Score
Apparently there’s a lot of women’s bball fans in the writers room
IOW - non-sports fans (including women's basketball - how many of them are going to be watching a healthy UConn win number 12 next year?).

Good to see SNL is carrying on their long tradition of not being funny.

Reaction Score
IOW - non-sports fans (including women's basketball - how many of them are going to be watching a healthy UConn win number 12 next year?).

How many - few, back to normal almost non-existent viewership.

SNL - agree although once in a while news desk segment has some mild humor.

Reaction Score

The show has been shockingly unfunny for close to 15 years now. Last time it was decently funny was when Bill Hader, Will Forte, and Jason Sudeikis were on it.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
One little tidbit:

I do remember, during the first or second year after the initial cast (Aykroyd, Belushi, Curtin, Morris, Murray, Newman, Radner), Brian Doyle Murray (Bill's brother) announced during the news portion (presenting it the way a father would of a newborn) that he just became an uncle and spoke about the delivery of the newborn nephew.

I just attempted to search in (no luck) to post here, but considering the timing, there's a very good chance that the nephew was Luke.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
IMO the early through mid 90s casts surpassed the original not-ready for primetime players.

Everyone is allowed an opinion and people can disagree on things.

One factor that I view as extremely relevant is age when one is first introduced to things. Something that someone sees for the first time when in high school (or perhaps early college) wil likely be viewed as funny throughout their life, while may not have been viewed as funny if the first thime they saw it was as an adult.

I will say, the late Phil Hartman was extremely talented on multiple levels and had his moments. Michael Meyers, while I personally am not overly fond of his comedic style, has accomplished quite a bit. Dennis Miller, as an acquired taste was pretty good and as long as they were in small sample sizes Dana Carver an Kevin Nealon weren't bad. SNL absolutely had worse casts than that, both before and after.

If you're speaking of a little later with Rock, Sandler, Schneider, Spade and Farley, I imagine that I was too old to have been initially introduced to their humor (SNL version, Rock is great in standup) as I know of many who are huge fans of that era, all would have been teens during their run on SNL.

It is somewhat surprising that the show is still on the air and while yes, periodically a breakout star does emerge, (IMHO) the show really hasn't had consistent, quality writing/performing since the initial cast. Unless you were there when it had it's first run, it is difficult to comprehend how big of a deal it was.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
How many - few, back to normal almost non-existent viewership.

SNL - agree although once in a while news desk segment has some mild humor.
There are numerous compilations of Jost/Che on YT and they're funny as hell, IMO. It's rare I watch any other part of SNL unless it's newsworthy and pops up on my notifications.

Reaction Score
Apparently there’s a lot of women’s bball fans in the writers room
Yeah at least theyre not like BSPN covering the womens game like its the NFL. I dont really watch it much but the womens college game is in a great state and has been for years. Nobody cares about the WNBA. The product sucks.

Reaction Score
Hader, Wiig, and Suedeikis were the last of the funny. Surprised Keenan Thompson is still there, but he might be on the shortlist to succeed Lorne Michaels. Probably be Tina Fey

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Last night was fantastic. Half-slept through the news and woke up seeing Ryan Gosling in the cold open alien abduction sketch with Kate McKinnon. Hysterical. Gosling, who I like a lot, cracked in every sketch. If you can, look up this sketch and the AI sketch with Beavis and Butthead.

Glad I caught it live.

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
The show has been shockingly unfunny for close to 15 years now. Last time it was decently funny was when Bill Hader, Will Forte, and Jason Sudeikis were on it.
It was very funny during the 2016 election. It's tailed off considerably since then.

Reaction Score
Last night was fantastic. Half-slept through the news and woke up seeing Ryan Gosling in the cold open alien abduction sketch with Kate McKinnon. Hysterical. Gosling, who I like a lot, cracked in every sketch. If you can, look up this sketch and the AI sketch with Beavis and Butthead.

Glad I caught it live.
I'm coughing now from laughing so hard at the AI sketch. If there's a specific Emmy for sketch comedy makeup, this bit might get nominated.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robrio89

Top Bottom