Smart move by Boeheim | The Boneyard

Smart move by Boeheim

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
If he has to live in that league, then showing up the refs was a smart idea. Everyone on earth except the ACC brain trust know that refs give Duke players the benefit of the doubt. By going bananas in the last minute of a nationally televised game, JB put the refs and the ACC on notice that he wasn't going to stand idly by and get jobbed like the rest of the league.

He lost the battle, but he may win the war.

Reaction Score
"If he has to live in that league"?

I don't think he's doing anyone any favors. Anyone in the American would gladly take their place, occasional bad calls and all.

Screw JB. And there are no moral victories.

Reaction Score
He should have been patient and waited for a call that was obvious because that one was not……..still I don't hate him for playing the whacked out nerd for a few minutes……..

babysheep

Rocky
Reaction Score
Yeah, what a genius, to let the other team shoot four FTs instead of 2 when your team is only down 2. That call didn't end the game. Without those Ts, it's still a one possession game (cook only made one of two from the charge). ESPN called it exactly what it was: a tantrum.

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
If he has to live in that league, then showing up the refs was a smart idea. Everyone on earth except the ACC brain trust know that refs give Duke players the benefit of the doubt. By going bananas in the last minute of a nationally televised game, JB put the refs and the ACC on notice that he wasn't going to stand idly by and get jobbed like the rest of the league.

Can't agree with you more. His presser afterwards supports this

Reaction Score

I don't think you understand the ACC. Almost every non-Duke/non-Carolina ACC head coach over the past 30 years has fought that war. None of them has ever won it, none of them ever will.

The only meaningful notice JB gave last night is that he and his team are wound tighter than a drum, and if they don't get that part fixed they're a great bet for a first weekend exit.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
Cuse got all the calls and more at the Carrier Dome, and all the announcers were very happy to point that out.

I believe Duke shot ten more free throws than Syracuse. My guess is they get a few more calls in most games, year in, and year out.

caw

Reaction Score
I believe Duke shot ten more free throws than Syracuse. My guess is they get a few more calls in most games, year in, and year out.

Yes, but FT counts are a bad way to judge officiating.

Reaction Score
ACC is dook's league. No newcomer is going to come in, especially to their court, and expect to get calls. Case in point, Parker's 3 point play that was called a block was the exact same play but Fair was called for a charge. That play was right in front of JB, which lit his fuse, of course the Fair charge caused the explosion.

He didn't think this through and it became costly. Its certainly an ACC dook thing and his initiation into the conference.

Reaction Score

The first game was awarded to Syracuse on a silver platter. It's not really up for debate.

In this one, Boeheim was stewing over the non-charge on Parker from earlier. That was a bad call. The one on Fair? Not so much.

Reaction Score
Both sides are looking at this wrong. Short term - who cares? Duke almost definitely would have won the game regardless, even taking into account their uncharacteristically poor free throw shooting during the game. It's a regular season game on the road with a bad loss earlier in the week. A close lose isn't going to crush their season and a miraculous win likely wasn't happening anyways. At worst Cuse will be a two seed. Short term going ballistic looks stupid on it's face but it's really not so bad.

The long term isn't an attempt to change the ACC ref bias either - it's to motivate a Cuse team that clearly has had its head up its own behind the last few weeks. They were likely going to lose the game regardless at that point - why not attempt to stoke some fire in your guys? Why not take the heat off of your team that's playing poorly and place it squarely on your own shoulders? Boeheim is getting all of the heat for this, and the BC loss is almost completely overshadowed. It shows he backs his team no matter what and now he can play the "no one thinks you can win it all and the refs won't help you it's time to put on the big boy pants" card.

I can't stand the nose picker or Cuse and I really doubt he's quick enough on his feet to have thought out all of these permutations but I don't think he should be crucified for this one. If anything I think Cuse has a better chance of doing well now in the ACC and possibly NCAA tourney because of it.

Reaction Score
How would Duke's style of play favor fewer fouls?

It's more Syracuse's, particularly if any effort is made to penetrate the zone where they reach and slap pretty consistently. Duke this year is less reliant on jump shooting than in past years, and does a good job attacking the gaps in the zone. In any event, a 10 free throw disparity is not that big.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
It's more Syracuse's, particularly if any effort is made to penetrate the zone where they reach and slap pretty consistently. Duke this year is less reliant on jump shooting than in past years, and does a good job attacking the gaps in the zone. In any event, a 10 free throw disparity is not that big.

I would expect a zone to produce fewer fouls.

Regardless, the pattern, from what I hear, is that Duke gets the edge in most games.

Reaction Score
Me thinks the notion of the nose picker having any thoughts about putting the refs on notice is giving him way, way too much credit. He had a tantrum due to a call that could have gone either way. His actions after were slightly more acceptable, on national TV, than seeing him digging up his nose for a 250th time. But that is as much credit and compliment as he gets from me.

Reaction Score
ACC is dook's league. No newcomer is going to come in, especially to their court, and expect to get calls. Case in point, Parker's 3 point play that was called a block was the exact same play but Fair was called for a charge. That play was right in front of JB, which lit his fuse, of course the Fair charge caused the explosion.

He didn't think this through and it became costly. Its certainly an ACC dook thing and his initiation into the conference.
I agree JB's tantrum wasn't necessarily about the last charge.
It was Parker's charge (called a block). Then reversing that call on the latter play that caused him to lose it.
Parker's was a more obvious charge in my opinion.
Welcome to life in the ACC.
As often as we complained about Big East officials,the officiating except for the last five years was the best in the country. That last play would have been a no call in the Big East 9 out of 10 Times. Officials in the ACC are very blatant about injecting themselves in a games outcome. This could be why that league has fallen off top to bottom.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
Maybe my memory is off, but I think people are confusing the facts of the game. It was not a game Duke "was almost sure to win". If the call is a block, Cuse is on the line to tie the game.
AS a charge, Duke is up 2 with the ball and no free throws.
The Ts made it up 2 with 4 free throws and the ball.
Bottom line is that JB eliminated the chance of a steal where Cuse could then win or tie; or fouling Duke and still having a chance.
I don't think it was brilliant at all.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Well that didn't stop us.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
How would Duke's style of play favor fewer fouls?

This is kind of a basketball 101 question...there are endless ways a team's style of play would favor fewer fouls.

A good zone team can commit fewer fouls because teams stop attacking and start launching. Last night, Duke started to have some success getting the ball to the top of the key and driving at Syracuse's big men...that's why the fouls started to pile up. (In the first game between the two, Syracuse had a truly lopsided FT advantage.)

Anywho, this Duke team isn't particularly notable in terms of the number of fouls per game - they're generally about average. They're also not getting calls - they tend not to shoot a lot of free throws.

The idea that "Duke is going to get calls" is mostly fan fiction. I'd guess over the past decade or so, UConn was at least Duke's equal in calls for/calls against stats.

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
Yeah, what a genius, to let the other team shoot four FTs instead of 2 when your team is only down 2. That call didn't end the game. Without those Ts, it's still a one possession game (cook only made one of two from the charge). ESPN called it exactly what it was: a tantrum.
Ummm - a charge never results in free throws. There were four free throws because there were two Ts on the coach. The first you didn't see on camera but he got it as soon as he went that deep on the court. The second one he got because he did not stop barking at the ref. The second was on camera and you can see the ref T him up and then make the signal that he was ejected (which is what happens when you get two Ts).

So while you were generally on track that it cost them a chance at pulling out a comeback, you under sold the damage he caused. It would have been Duke up two, taking the ball out from the Cuse side of the court and no free throws.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Had JB not lost his mind Duke would've been inbounding up 2, not even shooting foul shots. Dumb move.

No moral victories.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc