Should we bring back Skip? | The Boneyard

Should we bring back Skip?

Status
Not open for further replies.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I liked what Lew was trying to do when he brought Skip along but after watching the 30 for 30 on the (original) Browns final year in Cleveland and their emphasis on the staff that worked for Bellichick (a few with CT roots) who were somewhat similar in age (with arguably better experience) to Skip at that time, I believe that Lew missed what could have been a fantastic boat with that hire.

Skip did a few good things when he was here but he had many flaws (not all due to his youth). His tenure at USF is some evidence that he still has quite a way to go before he can be viewed as quality top level HC material.

Reaction Score
Skip's teams at USF quite simply suck. No thanks - not a candidate.
"But those aren't his players he is playing with".

- Everyone on this board a month ago

Reaction Score
imagesCAAQCNNP.jpg

Reaction Score
Skip did a fine job at UCONN, he was very good at ECU and he is in only his third season at USF. For people to say he can't coach just because USF is currently struggling with an enigma at QB is nonsense.

Reaction Score
Skip did a fine job at UCONN, he was very good at ECU and he is in only his third season at USF. For people to say he can't coach just because USF is currently struggling is nonsense.
P did a fine job at Syracuse, He is only in his second season here. For people to say he can't coach just because UConn is currently struggling is nonsense. Wait....

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
I feel like Skip is not in as good a situation as most people think. USF historically seems to get some of the most undisciplined players of all time (even if they are talented). Most people used to blame it on Leavitt when they were consistently the most penalized team in the Big East. Now that Skip is there, they are still the second most penalized team (second only to Rutgers), even though I view Skip as less of a cowboy than Leavitt was.

So is it the coach? Or the players that are typically attracted to USF? I don't know, but my suspicion is that it isn't Skip, since I don't ever remember that being a problem when he was in Memorial Stadium...

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
P did a fine job at Syracuse, He is only in his second season here. For people to say he can't coach just because UConn is currently struggling is nonsense. Wait....

It certainly looks like if they don't stop struggling the fan base will be in revolt. If they bring him back they wouldn't sell 20k season tickets if it wasn't for Michigan.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I feel like Skip is not in as good a situation as most people think. USF historically seems to get some of the most undisciplined players of all time (even if they are talented). Most people used to blame it on Leavitt when they were consistently the most penalized team in the Big East. Now that Skip is there, they are still the second most penalized team (second only to Rutgers), even though I view Skip as less of a cowboy than Leavitt was.

So is it the coach? Or the players that are typically attracted to USF? I don't know, but my suspicion is that it isn't Skip, since I don't ever remember that being a problem when he was in Memorial Stadium...

At some point you have to win games and get your team under control. They are 1-8 in the Big East the last two season and got thrashed by Temple. He needs to work on keeping his current job, forget the next one.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
At some point you have to win games and get your team under control. They are 1-8 in the Big East the last two season and got thrashed by Temple. He needs to work on keeping his current job, forget the next one.

You're absolutely right that the "buck stops with him," but in two other situations (UConn, ECU) he was certainly successful. My biggest worry about Skip Holtz wouldn't be as a head coach (x's and o's, game prep., time management!!), but I would be concerned as to whether he could successfully recruit at UConn. He has picked up a couple of big names recently at USF, so I guess he's not bad at it, but how much of that is the ability for these kids to stay home in the state of Florida? Not sure...

Reaction Score
Skip Holtz' record. Turned around UCONN, turned around ECU, was a field goal away from beating our fabulous Fiesta bowl team in 2010 and winning the conference. Had a bad year last after beating Notre Dame early, struggling this year. I doubt USF will fire him

Year​
Team​
Overall​
Conference​
Standing​
Bowl/playoffs​
Coaches#​
AP°​
1994 Connecticut 4–7 4–4 3rd (NE)
1995 Connecticut 8–3 5–3 2nd (NE)
1996 Connecticut 5–6 3–5 4th (NE)
1997 Connecticut 7–4 4–4 T–2nd (NE)
1998 Connecticut 10–3 6–2 T–1st (NE) L Division I-AA Quarterfinals
Connecticut:
34–23 22–18
2005 East Carolina 5–6 4–4 4th (East)
2006 East Carolina 7–6 5–3 2nd (East) L PapaJohns.com
2007 East Carolina 8–5 6–2 T–2nd (East) W Hawaiʻi
2008 East Carolina 9–5 6–2 1st (East) L Liberty
2009 East Carolina 9–5 7–1 1st (East) L Liberty
East Carolina:
38–27 28–12
2010 South Florida 8–5 3–4 T–5th W Meineke Car Care
2011 South Florida 5–7 1–6 T–7th
2012 South Florida 2–3 0–1
South Florida:
15–15 4–11
Total:
87–65
National championship Conference title Conference division title
†Indicates BCS bowl game. #Rankings from final Coaches' Poll.
°Rankings from final AP Poll.

FfldCntyFan

Reaction Score
Dan, I have a feeling that if the number at the end of your user ID occurred well before or well after Skip's tenure at UConn you wouldn't be as willing to give him a pass at USF.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I thought that Holtz would be good at USF. 4-12 actually. Nothing else you need to know.

Reaction Score
BTW what ever happened to that Freshmen walk-on QB for USF who almost beat us in 2010? I thought he was going to have a great career.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
Dan, I have a feeling that if the number at the end of your user ID occurred well before or well after Skip's tenure at UConn you wouldn't be as willing to give him a pass at USF.

It may be true that I'm biased because I spent multiple years watching him on campus, but isn't that a good thing that I'm using what I saw to inform my decision? Don't get me wrong; he wouldn't be my number one choice, as I think there are some better avenues to take, but I don't think that he would be a bad move either...

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
And somehow, Skip talked Asiantii Woulard (#2 Quarterback recruit) into going to USF instead of numerous big-time offers, so he's doing something right. I'm just not sure he could successfully do something like that at UConn, since Woulard is from Florida...

Reaction Score

FfldCntyFan

Reaction Score
It may be true that I'm biased because I spent multiple years watching him on campus, but isn't that a good thing that I'm using what I saw to inform my decision? Don't get me wrong; he wouldn't be my number one choice, as I think there are some better avenues to take, but I don't think that he would be a bad move either...

It is not always easy to see things clearly when some admiration from the past exists (clouding your judgement).

I still vividly remember the years that Perno was given every pass possible by most of the vocal fan base (which extended his tenure here by years). As a player at UConn, he stole the ball from Bill Bradley to preserve a one point lead and send us to our (then) only elite eight appearance, which was in they eyes of the entirety of UConn's fan base the high point of UConn's basketball (perhaps all sports) success. For too many people, when they saw Dom, all they could see was the kid who stole the ball from Bradley, not the coach who was obviously in over his head in that Big East.

Skip was a flawed coach even at his best and, more importantly in my eyes, he was handed the keys to the kingdom here and left us for a better (in his eyes) opportunity. Many years have passed since my ex & I split (almost exactly as many as Skip & UConn) but I still don't want her back. If she were the female partner equivalent of Nick Saban, perhaps but.........

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
Did you see the list of schools that offered him a scholarship?

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/recruiting/player-Asiantii-Woulard-127951

That's weird, because I know that he had visited Florida State and was planning on visiting Florida;

http://articles.orlandosentinel.com...0415_1_spring-game-marlin-lane-facebook-photo

http://insider.espn.go.com/blog/ncf...d/5767/qb-woulard-chooses-south-florida-again

For some reason, I also remember ESPN commenting on the fact that he chose USF over Florida State, as if it was the two choices that he was down to. Weird that they don't have him listed as having an offer from at least Florida State...

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
Skip was a flawed coach even at his best and, more importantly in my eyes, he was handed the keys to the kingdom here and left us for a better (in his eyes) opportunity. Many years have passed since my ex & I split (almost exactly as many as Skip & UConn) but I still don't want her back. If she were the female partner equivalent of Nick Saban, perhaps but.........
Now, it's YOUR judgment that's clouded! He didn't leave here for greener pastures. He left because his mom was sick and he wanted to be near her and his dad during that time, so he joined the staff at South Carolina:

"On December 4, 1998, The University of South Carolina announced that Lou Holtz would serve as its next head football coach. Lou asked Skip if he would move down to Columbia to become his offensive coordinator—the same position Skip held during his final two years at Notre Dame. Skip accepted the offer, in part due to a desire to live closer to his parents and so his children could spend more time with their grandparents.[8] In 1996, Skip's mother, Beth, was diagnosed with throat cancer. Two years later, the cancer spread to her liver, lung, adrenal , and ovary."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom