• Yes

Votes: 57 50.9%
  • No

Votes: 38 33.9%
  • I don’t know

Votes: 17 15.2%

• Total voters
Reaction Score
In general I don’t believe college players are at the same level as the top 12 pros, and thus arent ready for the Olympics.

But the fan interest in Clark is soooo compelling that it would almost surely help the game in the short and long term in terms of attracting eyeballs and keeping momentum going.

Sort of like the Rebecca Lobo effect — probably the last person to crossover to public consciousness in this way.

I’m now inclined to say yes.

Reaction Score
No let her prove herself as a pro first. Also you usually you play in the World Championship Tournament or one of the Olympic qualifying tournaments before making the Olympic team.
Plus Sabrina Ionescu is most likely making the team and they both provide the same skills and weaknesses. (along with Kelsey Plum who has gotten better at D but it's still not her strength)
Need another strong guard on Offense and Defense with Chelsea Gray coming back from injury.

Reaction Score
She needs to earn the spot playing on the pro level. She hasn't even had the opportunity yet to practice with the Olympic invitees.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Possibly - USA has often used one roster spot as a get a future player 'blooded'. I am not really sure who they might consider in that role, and I am not sure where they feel most settled for the next 5 years in terms of current players.

My feel is they are pretty solid in the forward/center roster for the foreseeable future, but the wing/guard field is more uncertain - lots of good players but no one has really become a fixture.

Reaction Score
Has anyone ever made an Olympic team without going to any of the camps? I’d imagine if they had any plans of bringing Clark they would have had her coming to camps in the last two years like they had Stewie and Aaliyah Boston going to camps during college.

Reaction Score
So, I believe Diana Taurasi played on Olympic Team the year she graduated, 2004. There must be others.

My question is, who gets the 12th roster spot, a 40 year old Taurasi, or a 22 year old Clark?
Taurasi should get the spot, unless Clark can actually beat her out for the position. I don’t think that’s happening. Remember Clark isn’t going to get all the calls she got in college.

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
I voted no, however it would depend on what position the USA team can afford to put a relatively inexperienced player, from an international play perspective. As a guard, for instance, what would Clark contribute to the guard play, putting aside her prolific scoring? Would her defense be adequate vs an international player with more experience?

Reaction Score
I don't think so, I can't see her being able to deal with the physicality that is FIBA basketball. She needs to transform her body like a Kelsey Plum first.

Reaction Score
For everyone who is quick to say “she needs to earn it” …. Keep in mind that the Lobo/Tara/96 dust up was basically because folks thought that Lobo wasn’t among the 12 best, but instead was picked because of her celebrity.

(And that is likely to have been the case.)

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Has it?
Was there one in 2020 or 2012?
No.

Breanna Stewart made the Olympic team in 2016 but she also played on the 2014 World Cup team. Maya Moore made the 2010 World Cup team as a collegian, as did Parker in 2006. Parker made the 2008 Olympic team after just graduating from Tennessee.

If Clark is added to the team it'll be for the experience of being around the national team and not for her expected contributions.

packwrap

The real 'shlynn Shadey
Reaction Score
For everyone who is quick to say “she needs to earn it” …. Keep in mind that the Lobo/Tara/96 dust up was basically because folks thought that Lobo wasn’t among the 12 best, but instead was picked because of her celebrity.

Clark was on Saturday Night Live last night, so her celebrity has certainly crossed over into mainstream.

Reaction Score

No it isn't likely ... but that is only my opinion (as the above is your opinion)

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
You think Lobo was one of the 12 best players in 1996?
Her performance in the W, where she was a good but not great player, suggests otherwise.
Since when has the Olympic team been about choosing the 12 best players?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robrio89

Top Bottom