Shakim Phillips back to BC? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Shakim Phillips back to BC?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I was looking forward to what Phillips and Davis could do together on the field this year. However ... I think the staff will find a way to fill the void. I like what I saw from others in the Spring game ... time for others to step up.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
Leads me to believe the offense will be so run-oriented Shak felt he wouldn't be able to put up big numbers.I hope I am wrong.

I think that's a pretty big leap.

Chances are we won't find out why...but it actually is pretty amazing that UConn has had a coaching transition and there has been minimal turn over. Compare that to what happened when RE took over Md.

Philips was a great player but did seem to get injured frequently. Also...this is probably the deepest position on the team. I don't find this to be a huge concern.

Reaction Score
Leads me to believe the offense will be so run-oriented Shak felt he wouldn't be able to put up big numbers.I hope I am wrong.
I don't think you can read too much into this (ie. why he's leaving or where he is going). Kids leave programs all the time. What really matters here is how the coaches and team respond. Who know who else might leave or get injured prior to BYU. The most important thing is that HCBD has instilled a culture where every player on the team has bought into the adage that you are only one play away from going onto the field. It's only through that mindset that someone else steps up due to their hard work and total dedication. I'm sure we'll be pleasantly surprised by the product we seen on the field in August vs. BYU. GO HUSKIES

Reaction Score
I think that's reading too much in to it. We have quite a few WRs that Diaco has spoken highly of and I believe Shak has been dinged up so probably hasn't been fully evaluated, which is why Diaco can't miss what he's never had.
After all the talk that was given before each season thinking Shak was going to be a big target, other than the Maryland game, I never really saw it. His size was what everybody was excited about, but we never used it. His best play ever, he had to limp into the end zone. If he is in top shape, that probably doesn't happen. I always felt he was overrated. He was needed because we were thin at wideout for years, now we have plenty of talent there. I like the young kids, they are much quicker and have more big play potential from what I can see.

Reaction Score
Losing Phillips is a loss, no question. When he was on the field he was solid. Losing a player with experience is never a good thing.

With that said, I remain very high on this wr group.

Reaction Score
After all the talk that was given before each season thinking Shak was going to be a big target, other than the Maryland game, I never really saw it. His size was what everybody was excited about, but we never used it. His best play ever, he had to limp into the end zone. If he is in top shape, that probably doesn't happen. I always felt he was overrated. He was needed because we were thin at wideout for years, now we have plenty of talent there. I like the young kids, they are much quicker and have more big play potential from what I can see.

How do we knock the kid down like that? Doesn't make sense. IF he decides to move on and go back to BC, I wish him nothing but the best. He's a gazillion times more athletic than anybody on this board that judges him.. IF he ends up staying, it's his time ( along with Geremy's ) to BLOW UP...

Reaction Score
Do you really miss something if what you had was never on the field because of injury anyway?

Reaction Score
Talented kid. Geremy Davis will be the man this season. Maybe he's looking for someplace where HE can be the man and improve his prospects for the League.

Not smart imho......

Reaction Score
I hope he finishes his course work and earns his UCONN degree, if indeed he's gotten himself into position to have the opportunity to do so over the next few months. That's important for the young man, andno matter what the reasoning as why, he's out of the program, and that means he's got his own interests as top priority now, and earning that degree would seem to be a good idea to put on top as a personal priority - for whatever reason, doesn't really matter to me.

What's important, I think, to the program is that the people that take to the meeting rooms, the practice facilities and fields, the weight and training rooms, and then the game field itself, all have everything - EVERYTHING - squared away and moving in the right direction for themselves, their immediate position group teammates, and the whole team with regards to football, as well as school and personally - all of it - working to help the team win. This player is no longer part of that.

I wish him luck wherever he goes, and thanks for his time with UCONN football.

Reaction Score
I would be really upset if he had like 3-4 years of eligibility left. SP wasn't going to make or break us either way. Perspective is key here.

HFD is going off on twitter.

Reaction Score
How do we knock the kid down like that? Doesn't make sense. IF he decides to move on and go back to BC, I wish him nothing but the best. He's a gazillion times more athletic than anybody on this board that judges him.. IF he ends up staying, it's his time ( along with Geremy's ) to BLOW UP...

Great point. If the rules allow BC, so be it. Leave irrational pettiness to the likes of Flipper, the nut case/wack job.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
Time to move on to the next Husky wide receiver.

I wish him well wherever he ends up.."except BCU."

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
What is HFD's handle on twitter? I could use a chuckle.

Reaction Score
Top 6 WR's from what I've seen in games and the Spring Game......

1. Davis
2. Foxx
3. Abrams
4. Bradley
5. Lemelle
6. Lucas

Noel Thomas also in the mix. John Green?

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Top 6 WR's from what I've seen in games and the Spring Game.

1. Davis
2. Foxx
3. Abrams
4. Bradley
5. Lemelle
6. Lucas

Noel Thomas also in the mix. John Green?
I could have sworn Diaco was throwing some praise John Green's way.

Reaction Score
He's not transferring to BC.

Here's a list of all of BC's master's programs: https://www.bc.edu/content/bc/schools/gsas/academics/academic_departments.html

There's Business, Education, Law, Nursing.

The only possibility I see is for Catholic Theology (UConn has a degree in Jewish Theology).

He can only transfer to a school with a program that UConn does NOT have.
So explain the following graduating with fifth year eligibility transfers to me -
From UF to BC - Matt Patchen, Tyler Murphy
From LSU to?? Steven Rivers
UF to ND - Cody Riggs
ND to Miami of OH - Andrew Hendrix
NC State to ?? Andrew Thomas
Ill to ?? - Houston Bates

That is just a handful of the dozens that happened last year and will happen this year. I could go on if you want.

You can't be so naive to believe that all these kids are transferring into some other degree not offered at their school. If Uconn lets him free (which it sure sounds like they are doing), he will transfer anywhere he wants. Including BC if that is who he wants.

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
So explain the following graduating with fifth year eligibility transfers to me -
From UF to BC - Matt Patchen, Tyler Murphy
From LSU to?? Steven Rivers
UF to ND - Cody Riggs
ND to Miami of OH - Andrew Hendrix
NC State to ?? Andrew Thomas
Ill to ?? - Houston Bates

That is just a handful of the dozens that happened last year and will happen this year. I could go on if you want.

You can't be so naive to believe that all these kids are transferring into some other degree not offered at their school. If Uconn lets him free (which it sure sounds like they are doing), he will transfer anywhere he wants. Including BC if that is who he wants.

Other than it being an actual NCAA rule you mean?

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Wish Shak nothing but the best wherever he ends up. Always will be a part of the Husky family.

This will definitely slot Foxx and Abrams up. Not sure if they'll keep Foxx in a slot position and bump up the next best wideout. Or will they bump up Foxx and try to plug someone else in in the slot. I guess it doesn't matter since they can feature multiple looks anyway.

Reaction Score
Other than it being an actual NCAA rule you mean?
How do all of these kids transfer for fifth years? Patchen, Murphy worked on their MBA's at BC. UF has an MBA program. So, what are the exceptions to the rule? If the school lets him off the hook. It happens all the time and it should happen here. BC allowed him to transfer to Uconn, or is that conveniently fogotten?And before you ask, schools do put restrictions transfers. Like not within the conference. I think the alternate degree rule is for not sitting a year for undergrad transfers, too. Other undergrad exception I think is hardship (ie - going closer to home to be near an ill parent).

The more I think about, and I don't have time to look up the rules, I am fairly certain if the kid graduates, they have no further obligation to the school unless the school extends a scholarship that covers his grad work and he accepts. No other explanation why fifth year, post grad transfers happen so often and so easily.

Last edited:

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Interesting that Phillips may return to the program from which he originally transferred. C'est la Vie. Next man up (assuming Phillips would be a starter).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom