Shakim Phillips back to BC? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Shakim Phillips back to BC?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Other than it being an actual NCAA rule you mean?
Quote from the attached article -
All that is at work in the graduate transfer exception. To qualify to be immediately eligible upon transferring schools, the “student-athlete” must complete degree work at his current institution and then pursue an advanced degree at his new school.

http://www.sportingnews.com/ncaa-ba...ated-not-blasted-by-coaches-such-as-tom-izzo-

Although I am sure upstater will insist I am wrong.

Reaction Score
So explain the following graduating with fifth year eligibility transfers to me -
From UF to BC - Matt Patchen, Tyler Murphy
From LSU to?? Steven Rivers
UF to ND - Cody Riggs
ND to Miami of OH - Andrew Hendrix
NC State to ?? Andrew Thomas
Ill to ?? - Houston Bates

That is just a handful of the dozens that happened last year and will happen this year. I could go on if you want.

You can't be so naive to believe that all these kids are transferring into some other degree not offered at their school. If Uconn lets him free (which it sure sounds like they are doing), he will transfer anywhere he wants. Including BC if that is who he wants.

It's an NCAA rule.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/writers/andy_staples/06/27/wilson.transfer.wisconsin/

Wilson, a Colorado Rockies minor-leaguer who cut short his single-A season to play one more year of college football, can play immediately at Wisconsin because he already earned a bachelor's degree (in communications) at N.C. State. The NCAA allows a one-time exception for graduate students that eliminates the sit-out year that accompanies most transfers. As long as Wilson enrolls in a graduate program at Wisconsin that N.C. State doesn't offer, he can play in 2011.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I said I hope I am wrong. But tell me the last time a starting skill position player transferred going into his last season?

Of course, there may be many reasons and truthfully it isn't our business. I believe the Coach made a recent statement about the importance of running the ball. Again, we will probably never know and the world will keep spinning. Just would have been nice seeing GD and Shak and a competent QB for an entire season.

IMind

Wildly Inaccurate
Reaction Score
I said I hope I am wrong. But tell me the last time a starting skill position player transferred going into his last season?

Of course, there may be many reasons and truthfully it isn't our business. I believe the Coach made a recent statement about the importance of running the ball. Again, we will probably never know and the world will keep spinning. Just would have been nice seeing GD and Shak and a competent QB for an entire season.

Robbie Frey.

Reaction Score
If the Steven Rivers (formerly of LSU) "06029" is referring to in his post is the brother of Philip Rivers (of San Diego Chargers) he is now with Vanderbilt.

In any case, if that is not one in the same, Philip Rivers has a brother playing at Vanderbilt. My brother saw him in the Spring game.....sugggested he is quite good.

Reaction Score
It's a rule with this exception -
Or this one, which will be used by more players: The NCAA allows a one-time exception for graduate students that eliminates having to sit out a season — as long as the player would have been academically eligible at his/her original institution . If Lyons completes his undergraduate work, he could be eligible to play in 2012-13 at whichever school he chooses.

Some students go to great lengths to achieve immediate eligibility. Quarterback Garrett Gilbert is taking 27 credits this semester (six regular classes and three online courses), trying to graduate from Texas and play this fall at Southern Methodist, according to the Dallas Morning News.

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/spor...all-transfers-brandon-wood-bo-ryan/54557224/1

Okay, so you made look it up in the NCAA by-laws 14,1.8.1 is the exception rule:
Graduate Student/Postbaccalaureate Participation.
A student-athlete who is enrolled in agraduate or professional school of the same institution from which he or she previously received a baccalaureate degree, a student-athlete who is enrolled and seeking a second baccalaureate or equivalent degree at the same institution, or a student-athlete who has graduated and is continuing as a full-time student at the same institutionwhile taking course work that would lead to the equivalent of another major or degree as defined and documented by the institution, may participate in intercollegiate athletics, provided the student has eligibility remaining andsuch participation occurs within the applicable five-year period set forth in Bylaw 14.2 (see Bylaw 14.1.7.2.1.4).
(Revised: 1/10/90, 1/16/93 effective 8/1/93)
One-Time Transfer Exception.
A graduate student who is enrolled in a graduate or professional school of an institution other than the institution from which he or she previously received a baccalaureate degree may participate in intercollegiate athletics if the student fulfills the conditions of the one-time transfere xception set forth in Bylaw 14.5.5.2.10 and has eligibility remaining per Bylaw 14.2. A graduate student who does not meet the one-time transfer exception due to the restrictions of Bylaw 14.5.5.2.10-(a) shall qualify for
this exception, provided:
(a)The student fulfills the remaining conditions of Bylaw 14.5.5.2.10;
(b) The student has at least one season of competition remaining; and
(c) The student’s previous institution did not renew his or her athletically related financial aid for the following academic year

Bottom line, if you graduate, you can transfer anywhere you want if the school let's you go free if you have 1 year left. There is no degree/major requirement. The exception is so big that a lot of BB coaches have been trying to close it.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score

You could be right..but without hearing from him (and no real answer from Diaco)...it is one of many possible reasons....

Other potential reasons....
- He was going to lose his starting position
- Didn't get along with new coaching staff
- Didn't like new workout expectations
- Prefers bigger city atmosphere
- girlfriend graduating and wanted to stay close to her
- wanted to be a #1 and Davis was #1
- doesn't like new helmets (just joking Freescooter ;))
- doesn't think UConn plays teams that will get him exposure

Who knows what kids are thinking....but he seemed like a good guy and he did a good job so I wish him well.

Reaction Score
Bottom line, if you graduate, you can transfer anywhere you want if the school let's you go free if you have 1 year left. There is no degree/major requirement. The exception is so big that a lot of BB coaches have been trying to close it.

So, essentially, if your school does not release you, then you can't go and play unless you are going for a degree that your school doesn't offer. But if your school agrees to terminate your scholarship, then you can go play elsewhere regardless of degree.

Reaction Score
So, essentially, if your school does not release you, then you can't go and play unless you are going for a degree that your school doesn't offer. But if your school agrees to terminate your scholarship, then you can go play elsewhere regardless of degree.
That is how it appears to work. And most schools seem to let kids go if they have graduated. There have been some exceptions where schools have said no, but that looks exactly like the way it works. It is almost a guarantee that you will be released if you want to transfer after you graduate. I think those 5th years that stay at the same school after graduation far outnumber the transfers. Of course, those guys are usually starters and/or stars on the team.

Reaction Score
He did not play much after MI I think. No practice injured all Spring. Not sure what to make of it, but not earth shattering.

Reaction Score
If he is indeed going back to BC, the bottom line for me is that Shak Phillips isn't making or breaking UConn or BC next year. So I'm not losing any sleep over this at all.
If he's going back to BC, Shakim Phillips is dead to me. LOL!

Reaction Score
I'm going to be optimistic and assume that Phillips saw the writing on the wall that he was moving down the depth chart. Noel Thomas, Brian Lemelle, and Bradley are very good.

Reaction Score
Disappointed. Really felt he was due for a break out year. Nice combination size, speed, and explosiveness. BUT.... clearly he wasn't ten toes in, so.... BCeeingYA.

Reaction Score
Disappointed. Really felt he was due for a break out year. Nice combination size, speed, and explosiveness. BUT.... clearly he wasn't ten toes in, so.... BCeeingYA.

He had all 10 toes on the trainers table.. Kid couldn't stay healthy anyway. And even when he was in I never saw consistent impact performance. He can be replaced. Let's not hold our breath wondering how we will replace him.

Reaction Score
Shak is a good kid. He was not sure if he was coming back. I know he was really disgusted with PPGDL and was not going to plat last year. He fell in love of Weist who is now gone. Can you blame him? I wish him well.

Felt he was the most talented guy we had when healthy. Not thinking he could crack the depth chart makes no sense to me. Sounds like other considerations and makes a sharp contrast to the way Chandler Whitmer has approached things. Everyone has their own priorities but if he must drop down to BC at least we're deep at WR.

Reaction Score
Great point. If the rules allow BC, so be it. Leave irrational pettiness to the likes of Flipper, the nut case/wack job.
At least he has a UConn degree to fall back on.

Reaction Score
Shak is a very good player when healthy but if there is anywhere this team can afford to lose someone its at receiver. At the end of the year the receiving corps of Davis, Bradley, Foxx and Lemelle was very dangerous. Who cares about the BCU hogwash? Wish him well

Reaction Score
So BC blocks their transferring BB player from transferring to any NE schools (read UConn), and UConn - as it appears today - is allowing SP to transfer wherever he likes. If this is the case, that speaks VOLUMES about the character of the two administrations. I'd get it if both schools restricted a transfer to anyone on their schedule the following year, but that is not what BC did.

Wish SP all the best.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Maybe UCONN is trading Shak for an ACC invite.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom