Shabazz's High School Jersey Being Retired | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Shabazz's High School Jersey Being Retired

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I don't think he gets the Kemba treatment, that was unique. But he is certainly far more deserving than Rudy Gay, and I like Rudy.
Depends. Rudy was selected NABC First Team All America. I do think that was part of the initial selection process. Shabazz gets first team from some relevant publication, and he'll be there fairly quickly, I think.

Reaction Score
Shabazz is a way better college player and way more important to UConn bball than Rudy was and I like Rudy a lot. I think you could make a case Shabazz is one of the five best and most important players we've ever had, certainly top 10.

Reaction Score
Shabazz is a way better college player and way more important to UConn bball than Rudy was and I like Rudy a lot. I think you could make a case Shabazz is one of the five best and most important players we've ever had, certainly top 10.
I won't debate that point; I think you're right about his importance (not sure about Top 5 player). I'm saying that I think all players who were selected to a major first team All America were immediately admitted. Many players who haven't been selected to that, but who were fantastic (Doron, Khalid, Ben, Caron) have yet to be.

I think Shabazz has meant a lot to the university and has had a better career than some on the wall (Rudy particularly). But that doesn't necessarily mean he will be on the wall soon without some national honors. And while we all think Shabazz should be first team, some are assuming it's a guarantee. It's clearly not when you look at historical UConn snubs in the college basketball post-season honors.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The fact that guys like Ben Gordon and Caron Butler aren't in there is a joke, those guys are easily two of the best ten ever to play here and I would argue top seven. I wonder if them not being in has more to do with the school and the player being able to find a game to honor them - Caron and Ben are pretty busy playing in the NBA and flying across the country, so maybe a mutually convenient date just hasn't been agreed upon. Shabazz should be a lock, too, BTW.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom