Shabazz Trade | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Shabazz Trade

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I agree that maybe other fans might not be giving him a fair shake, but to think that UConn fans have a better, less biased view of who Shabazz is? That's ludicrous. If you read the Summer League thread, you'd think that anything he did badly was 100% the fault of James Ennis or Tyler Johnson.

Bottom line, making contested 3s in the NBA is a lot harder than it is in college. Same with putting the move on a guy and driving into the paint. Those were Shabazz's bread and butter for us, and he's having a lot of trouble translating them to the pro game. I want nothing more than for him to experience great success in the league, but it's on him to keep improving and show that he is worth minutes.
Why wouldn't UConn fans who saw him play for four years be in a better position to evaluate him than others.
Especially if he was injured last year.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Why wouldn't UConn fans who saw him play for four years be in a better position to evaluate him than others.
Especially if he was injured last year.

This is silly. UConn fans lionize him and have a natural bias in favor of him. Because he led us to a national title, many will feel that they cannot say anything negative about his later performance out of respect to him. Also, since the '14 run is the major memory that most associate with him, people tend to see NBA Shabazz as our Shabazz. It doesn't matter that he's going against NBA defenses, they still see him as a guy who can make contested threes and drive to the hoop at will like he was for us.

Reaction Score
Compared to the mid-00s, they are. The group of Ray, Hamilton, Donyell, young Caron, Emeka, Ben and Cliff Robinson still as a productive reserve definitely outshines the current group. To pretend that there hasn't been at least a slight drop-off is just fantasy.
I think that's right and there is a slight dropoff. I was pointing out others are over-focused on the failures. One current issue is the best of the UConn pros are not on playoff teams. But also can't sugarcoat the past, everyone expected more from Emeka, Donyell was also never the all-star his college career may have foretold and Ben's rep turned into gunner only.

Reaction Score
The handful of Miami games that I watched last season, it seemed like Shabbaz wasn't playing with nearly the level of confidence that he did at UConn. He seemed to start off the season strongly, but his confidence and his playing time, seemed to disappear as the season progressed. While he may never be an all-star, or even a starter, he has enough talent to make a nice career in the NBA. He just needs to believe and play the way that got him to be a first round draft pick.

sammydabiz

I sport NewBalance sneakers to avoid a narrow path
Reaction Score
To start the season last year, Shabazz was playing really well, scoring in the double digits 5 games in a row or something like that. Then all of a sudden Coach Spo starts having him ride the pine, and sent him to D league a coupe times. Totally stunted his growth in my opinion. I've never liked the Heat, and was so divided watching Bazz playing for them.
Now I come across this gem from the Heat:
### One NBA general manager who spoke to the Heat said Heat brass realized Shabazz Napier “was not good enough. At that size (6-1), you have to be really quick or a very good shooter, and he’s neither.”...

I hope Bazz comes back and sticks it to the Heat organization this upcoming season.

http://sircharlesincharge.com/2015/...-didnt-belive-shabazz-napier-was-good-enough/

Reaction Score
really don't get how napier gets this rep 'he can't shoot'. you mean he can't finish at the rim right? he can clearly shoot, second in his class from trey.

whatever though, he should emerge as a solid backup to Payton. As far as roster fit its fantastic, thats a team that needs shooting desperately at the guard spot. you can dual pg it up with him and payton. He just needs to outplay vet cj watson, or wait for his inevitable injury. Scott skiles, newly minted magic coach, is very defensive minded but isn't really afraid to play guys (most recent relevant coaching stint was the '10 bucks. pretty much 10 deep. played ridnour a bunch of minutes who is comparable to napier). Also an ex player so he brings a different approach than a film room guy a la spo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom