Shabazz Trade | The Boneyard

Shabazz Trade

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score

I like it A LOT for Bazz. You are not going to find many teams with a weaker starting PG and overall depth. If it goes through they will have Elfrid Payton CJ Watson and Bazz.

Reaction Score
Well, he won't have to move far.

I like this trade for him though. Miami didn't appear to have Shabazz in their future plans, and in Orlando he joins one of the more promising young cores in the league. Seems like a great fit, even with Payton as PG competition.

Reaction Score
wow. skiles is a tough SOB, perhaps he takes a liking towards napier who is also very hard nosed. Thats a team I think will get the 'skiles bump' , but not sure its enough for playoffs. its for certain hell get tick on an up and coming young team.

edit: forgot they signed cj watson. so he'll be the third pg, but honestly i can see him getting minutes over watson at times.

Reaction Score
Really? I think we need to see more from Shabazz to see if can be a good PG in the league. Will be even play over Payton?

Certainly he was a backup to Dragic, so this could be a better situation. Orlando is on the rise for sure.

Napier + Oladipo would be nasty

Reaction Score
Seems like he's going to a terrible team with a young PG who was drafted before him.

I want Bazz getting lots of minutes, but this seems to be a pretty weak landing spot for him...
bazz isn't ready for 'lots of minutes'. he needs to atleast get to back up pg and be very good at that before we start talking starter.

Reaction Score
I wish Bazz got drafted to a team that legitimately wanted him, you could tell from Riley's "no more hidden agendas with smiling faces" comments before this year's draft that it was obviously a move meant to appease Lebron. He's already got his work cut out for him again with Payton and Watson ahead of him in the depth chart, Bazz will probably be looking at earning a another contract somewhere next off season.

Reaction Score
You might want to take a quick minute and examine the Magic's roster.
So where would he be better off? Payton showed promise but was nothing special and Watson is a good backup PG who is getting old. Bazz will definitely have a good shot to play solid minutes and brings shooting which is a major weakness for ORL.

Reaction Score
This is not a good landing spot for Napier. I would have preferred Indiana (who basically has no point guard) or a veteran team with aging PG. Spurs, Dallas?

Reaction Score
This is not a good landing spot for Napier. I would have preferred Indiana (who basically has no point guard) or a veteran team with aging PG. Spurs, Dallas?
George Hill isn't a PG? Never mind the fact that they got Ellis who plays some point.

Reaction Score
Good move for Bazz if it happens. Orlando should make the playoffs w it's young talent.Doesn't hurt also there is more of a Puerto Rican following in Orlando .

Last edited:
Reaction Score
George Hill isn't a PG? Never mind the fact that they got Ellis who plays some point.

He plays Point Guard but he is better suited as a 2-guard.

Reaction Score
So where would he be better off? Payton showed promise but was nothing special and Watson is a good backup PG who is getting old. Bazz will definitely have a good shot to play solid minutes and brings shooting which is a major weakness for ORL.
Payton was a rookie who averaged 9/7/4/2 in 30 minutes. Watson averaged 10/4/3 in 25 minutes, and is only 30. Maybe you should try being unbiased at some point; the guy who averaged 5/2/2 in 20 minutes is obviously better. /s

Reaction Score
No idea, but the poster I quoted seemed pretty much out of the loop by pairing him up with Oladipo when Payton is better right now. Payton can't shoot worth a damn but he brings D and playmaking to the position and that will have him ahead of Bazz right now. Watson is only 31, older but not ancient by any means and coming off of a solid season in Indy last year, I highly doubt Bazz beats him out for backup minutes. As for Bazz bringing shooting, I gotta start seeing him make shots on a consistent basis before I can say he can help in that area. For a guy who is essentially on a one year deal(I gotta look up the timeline on when is the latest his option can be picked up), he's in a delicate spot in his career right now.

Reaction Score
Payton was a rookie who averaged 9/7/4/2 in 30 minutes. Watson averaged 10/4/3 in 25 minutes, and is only 30. Maybe you should try being unbiased at some point; the guy who averaged 5/2/2 in 20 minutes is obviously better. /s
You just agreed with both of my points yet are saying I should be unbiased? Bazz is not going to be handed a starting PG job or even a backup job with any team in the league based off of last year. ORL is one of very few teams that he could potentially beat out the guys above him if he shows improvement. When did I say that Bazz is better than Payton and Watson?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
All of this is premature without knowing what Orlando is giving up. If its a value trade then Bazz becomes an investment (good for Bazz), if its to dump salary (belonging to a marginal player), then it would not be so good for Bazz.

I'm talking business.

Reaction Score
All of this is premature without knowing what Orlando is giving up. If its a value trade then Bazz becomes an investment (good for Bazz), if its to dump salary (belonging to a marginal player), then it would not be so good for Bazz.

I'm talking business.
It's a value trade for Bazz. ORL gave up a future 2nd-round pick.

Reaction Score
It's a value trade for Bazz. ORL gave up a future 2nd-round pick.
Not so sure what this amounts to. Orlando got a steal since they wouldn't get a player like Bazz in the 2nd round. Based on this info I'm not so confident that this is good for Bazz (long term). Again I'm looking at the business side.

I would feel better if there was a decent 'named' player (like a forward) involved in the trade or a first round pick. Their is value is that they apparently wanted him, which is good.

NBA is a tough business. If Bazz doesn't get PT to prove himself and his competition performs he could be on the block again or worse . . . . No fault of his, but complicated by where he landed.

Yankees32123

'99, '04, '11, '14, '23
Reaction Score
Seems like UConn alums in the NBA are in their weakest overall position in about 15 years. Guys are either over the hill, not quite good enough, or buried on terrible teams.
Give it a few years and we'll have some studs, especially Drummond. The days of Rip's, Ray's, Caron's, and Ben's stardom are over and because 3/4 of our 2006 first round picks and Thabeet never worked out, we went from Rudy to Kemba without anyone entering the league and making much contribution.
On top of Emeka's health troubles and Charlie's plummet, guys who should still be in their primes around 30ish years old, it seems like we are weak on NBA-presence.
Give Kemba, Shabazz, Lamb, Drummond, and maybe even Daniels a few years and we may have a different narrative. I think we also have a few guys on the current UConn roster with a lot of potential.
Plus, most schools *cough Louisville cough* would KILL for our current NBA alumni situation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom