SF/PF Wenyen Gabriel (Kentucky Commit) | Page 30 | The Boneyard

SF/PF Wenyen Gabriel (Kentucky Commit)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
UConn: “I like UConn firstly because of Coach Ollie and my relationship with him,” he said. “I feel that he is very trustworthy and I really like their style of play. I can improve and get to be the player I want to be there. Playing with another Mass Rivals guy in Jalen Adams would be a good experience as well. UConn would be a good position for me and they’ve continued to recruit me very hard so I like that about them.”

link

Reaction Score
good lord I want gabriel badly, he is basically a giannis antetekoumpo clone. KO can turn this guy into a top 5-10 pick no doubt...his position/ability is so in vogue nowadays in the sport ( giannis, another up and coming euro prospect dragan bender. the croatian philly drafted. basically 6'10+ guys who grab rebounds and go all while possessing driving ability on O) .

he would also have free reign and so much ability to get open looks... he would be playing with an insane backcourt in gilbert + adams. lots of positives here as far as roster composition we should definitely be in the mix.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

Gabriel seems like a smart kid. His main focus as he stated was finding the right school to help him further develop his perimeter skills so it can help get him to the NBA.

He has high praise for each team, and as he said from the very beginning he is going to take all 5 of his OVs, and from his statements you can't tell who leads. Smart kid who is keeping an open mind about the recruiting process.

If he wants to play at the wing a friendly reminder that we were once Wing-U (Ray, Rip, Caron, and Rudy) wouldn't hurt. He can be next in line.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
If he wants to play at the wing a friendly reminder that we were once Wing-U (Ray, Rip, Caron, and Rudy) wouldn't hurt. He can be next in line.
After DHam, who could turn out to be the best of all.

Yes, I realize that's a high bar. But not unrealistic.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
You may be right, but I hope he disagrees.
No one predicted the junior Kemba Walker after his freshman season. Don't fall victim to Master Bruce's idea of realism. And if that bar gets reached I'll back you up if you choose to remind us of your statement.

UConNation

I object!
Reaction Score
No one predicted the junior Kemba Walker after his freshman season. Don't fall victim to Master Bruce's idea of realism. And if that bar gets reached I'll back you up if you choose to remind us of your statement.

The Batman reference is greatly appreciated, fleud.

Reaction Score

It's not realistic to say that Daniel Hamilton is going to be better than Ray Allen. Suggesting otherwise is absurd. Not sure why you've decided to jump on my jock all of the sudden, but give it up.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
It's not realistic to say that Daniel Hamilton is going to be better than Ray Allen. Suggesting otherwise is absurd.

The frame of reference for my comparisons is as college players, not as pros.

And I didn't say he is going to be better. I just said it is not unrealistic to think it is possible.

Admittedly, I do not have your level of certainty about many things in life.

Reaction Score
The frame of reference for my comparisons is as college players, not as pros.

I'm not sure how much that helps. Ray was probably the best player in the country as a junior. Hamilton is probably only giving us one more year, and there's absolutely no way he's that good this season. He wasn't nearly as good as Ray as a freshman, and Ray made a huge jump as a sophomore, and then another big one as a junior. Hamilton would have miles to make up in one offseason.

But I'll tell you what: if I'm wrong, I'll buy you a steak dinner.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
BTW, if anyone wants to wager me, I will take Ray Allen against the field and make the bold prediction that none of our current players or recruits will be better than him.

And while I'm at it, I will "next" the consensus top five recruits for the next three seasons.

sdhusky

1972,73 & 98 Boneyard Poster of the Year
Reaction Score
BTW, if anyone wants to wager me, I will take Ray Allen against the field and make the bold prediction that none of our current players or recruits will be better than him.

And while I'm at it, I will "next" the consensus top five recruits for the next three seasons.

I think Adams could be almost that good but not quite.

Reaction Score
I'm not sure how much that helps. Ray was probably the best player in the country as a junior. Hamilton is probably only giving us one more year, and there's absolutely no way he's that good this season. He wasn't nearly as good as Ray as a freshman, and Ray made a huge jump as a sophomore, and then another big one as a junior. Hamilton would have miles to make up in one offseason.

But I'll tell you what: if I'm wrong, I'll buy you a steak dinner.

Comparing any current college basketball player to Ray Allen, a future NBA hall of famer, is tough to do (said Captain Obvious). However, I don't 100% agree with your statement in bold above. I think "wasn't nearly as good as Ray as a freshman" is overstating the difference between their performances. Hamilton was only the second player in UConn history with 300 pts, 200 rbs and 100 asts. Hamilton did play more minutes though.
Ray: 21.6 min, 12.6 pts, 4.6 rbs, 1.6 asts, better shooting percentages than Hamilton by quite a bit.
Hamilton: 31 min, 10.9 pts, 7.6 rbs, 3.6 asts.

However, your next two statements I do agree with. His jumps Sophomore and Junior years are unbelievable. If Hamilton were to do that, I would be surprised and impressed for sure. I'll take the steak dinner if the other guy doesn't want it. I like steak.

Reaction Score
Comparing any current college basketball player to Ray Allen, a future NBA hall of famer, is tough to do (said Captain Obvious). However, I don't 100% agree with your statement in bold above. I think "wasn't nearly as good as Ray as a freshman" is overstating the difference between their performances. Hamilton was only the second player in UConn history with 300 pts, 200 rbs and 100 asts. Hamilton did play more minutes though.
Ray: 21.6 min, 12.6 pts, 4.6 rbs, 1.6 asts, better shooting percentages than Hamilton by quite a bit.
Hamilton: 31 min, 10.9 pts, 7.6 rbs, 3.6 asts.

However, your next two statements I do agree with. His jumps Sophomore and Junior years are unbelievable. If Hamilton were to do that, I would be surprised and impressed for sure. I'll take the steak dinner if the other guy doesn't want it. I like steak.

Ray scored about 10 more points per 40 minutes as a freshman than did Hamilton. That's a pretty massive margin. Hamilton was a bit better at creating for others, though he did turn the ball over more. Rebounding rates were similar, though admittedly Hamilton got more rebounds for a slower team. I wish I had per possession info on Ray in college, but I don't know if anyone keeps that anywhere, and I don't feel like calculating it myself.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
It's not realistic to say that Daniel Hamilton is going to be better than Ray Allen. Suggesting otherwise is absurd. Not sure why you've decided to jump on my jock all of the sudden, but give it up.
I picked two instances to "jump" on you. I specifically chose relatively benign things. I'm approaching you in the same manner you approach a lot of people. You've got a lot to offer if you could just be a little less condescending and insulting. Or should I apply your approach to this and demand you tone it down! Everyone wants to be right. Nothing wrong with that. People want to defend their ideas. Nothing wrong with that. There are better and worse ways to do this. I'm not advocating political correctness. But if you don't like the way I jumped on you why are you doing it to others? If you can't take it why are you giving it? For the record, I select the people who contribute a lot to this forum but undermine all they contribute because they're unaware of how the approach other people.

Based on what I saw, the probability is low that DHam could achieve 8893's bar. But development is fluid. So it is within the realm of realism that the goal can be achieved. I gave an example. Go back to the archives and show me where anyone predicted Kemba would be one of the top three all time UConn guards based on his freshman year. You want to argue there is a low probability I can agree with that. But I object to anyone or any group for that matter inserting their idea of reality on others. Not that 8893 needs me to defend him.

RipCity

Absolute Savage
Reaction Score
Yeah I don't think Hamilton will be as good in college or the pros as Ray, Rip or Caron. He could best Gay in college, but again I don't see it in the NBA.

Reaction Score
Ray scored about 10 more points per 40 minutes as a freshman than did Hamilton. That's a pretty massive margin. Hamilton was a bit better at creating for others, though he did turn the ball over more. Rebounding rates were similar, though admittedly Hamilton got more rebounds for a slower team. I wish I had per possession info on Ray in college, but I don't know if anyone keeps that anywhere, and I don't feel like calculating it myself.
Good point about points per 40. I didn't unfortunately think to check that. If he ends up being 3/4 the player Ray was, I think we will be pretty happy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom