SF/PF Wenyen Gabriel (Kentucky Commit) | Page 29 | The Boneyard

SF/PF Wenyen Gabriel (Kentucky Commit)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
This sounds like nonsense to me. Saying "next" is like betting that anyone but Kentucky will win the tournament. You're not exactly going out on a limb so being "correct 90% of the time" that a kid goes elsewhere doesn't mean much. And then when a "next" turns out to be wrong, it's "ehh, recruiting is fluid, you don't get it."

I don't follow recruiting that much anymore, but it seems to me that CallMeBruce or whoever called the Gibbs commitment or that guy Ozzie on the other board are supplying much more valuable information than just betting the field every time. I mean, that's cool too but it doesn't exactly make you "all star quality," to use your phrase.

He was responding to people that say Zionn makes stuff up and rides off of info that others here post. Nobody's saying he's dead on, or even is as close to the situation as a guy like Oz, but those are pretty harsh claims to make for a guy who has given us a lot of good info.

KembaStepback

Rains Triples
Reaction Score
Forgive me if it's been mentioned earlier, I just don't need to read the stuff about Zionn's credibility since I don't think it's in doubt, but if his interest is eroding in Duke...which schools does he remain interested in?

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Forgive me if it's been mentioned earlier, I just don't need to read the stuff about Zionn's credibility since I don't think it's in doubt, but if his interest is eroding in Duke...which schools does he remain interested in?

UMD (or Under Armour $$$ if you think that way) is a name that's been mentioned a lot.

Reaction Score
why is Zionn's credibility still a talking point. He's one of the more connected posters on here, gives good information and is more important than the posters discrediting him.

Reaction Score
Maryland, UConn, Kentucky, Providence and I wouldn't count Duke out. He has an official visit to UConn Oct. 2.

KembaStepback

Rains Triples
Reaction Score
UMD (or Under Armour $$$ if you think that way) is a name that's been mentioned a lot.
Interesting. I've never really understood the sneaker $$ stuff. I have no idea what is going on, so I'm not going to speculate...but isn't UConn a Nike school? Since when has UA passed it in terms of popularity?

Reaction Score
Interesting. I've never really understood the sneaker $$ stuff. I have no idea what is going on, so I'm not going to speculate...but isn't UConn a Nike school? Since when has UA passed it in terms of popularity?
It all depends on which AAU circuit the recruit plays on; those programs tend to push their players towards colleges sponsored by the same company. The UA Circuit has greatly increased over the past couple years, and Gabriel played there; as did Diamond Stone.

Edit: Gabriel played on the Adidas Gauntlet, not UA Association. So therefore, I'll join you in your concern over why he's gravitating towards an UA school

Reaction Score
We offer about 30 players, it's pretty damn easy to "Next" for the majority of them. He Nexted Stone and Mack which anyone who follows recruiting even a little knew they weren't coming here. He didn't think Durham was coming here which also went along with the majority of people. He was wrong about transfer speculation after last season, I'm guessing he just got bad info but some here consider him an insider so they were whipped up into a frenzy. I tend to go with the guys who have nailed it on some players committing that most of us don't know about, Oz has gotten several of these and Bruce was all over Gibbs and possibly another. I don't remember any of these for Zionn. I'm sure he is getting his Next info from somewhere, it just seems rather easy to call Next with most recruits since we offer so many scholarships in each class. In fairness to him, Zionn has consistently said he's not an insider, it's just that many other posters on the board seem to call him one.

We were still in it for Mack until he came back on stage with a VCU shirt on. There were whispers at the announcement that he was going to pick UConn.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
@Zionn is connected and has a high accuracy rate with his information. And for the most part people want to know what he hears.

The attitude changed for some of us when he reported DHam was leaving the program. I never got the impression that he was doing anything other than informing us what he heard from his insider connection(s).

I feel Zionn's information is a valuable asset for this forum. It's been already stated, but in this case it doesn't hurt to be redundant, that we are only receiving a better percentage of predictability from these people with insider contacts. There are no absolutes. JC (the insider of insiders) thought he had Bill Curly and the rumor is he celebrated only to learn the next day the kid changed his mind and gave a verbal to BCU.

My quibble with Zionn is slightly different than what I've seen. I want him to continue offering us information. But I would suggest he change his approach slightly. The statement "Next" was great for a while, but I feel the time to be that brief has ended. It denotes finality and absoluteness. And even though it is extremely accurate, there are always surprises (positive and negative). Why state absoluteness in a fluid universe? Furthermore we are a group with different sensitivities so why not present information with some equivocation? It doesn't hit the shock button as badly when Zionn or any insider turns out to be wrong. It won't avoid all s&*t storms that we just observed butI believe it will end up more positive than negative.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
@Zionn is connected and has a high accuracy rate with his information. And for the most part people want to know what he hears.

The attitude changed for some of us when he reported DHam was leaving the program. I never got the impression that he was doing anything other than informing us what he heard from his insider connection(s).

I feel Zionn's information is a valuable asset for this forum. It's been already stated, but in this case it doesn't hurt to be redundant, that we are only receiving a better percentage of predictability from these people with insider contacts. There are no absolutes. JC (the insider of insiders) thought he had Bill Curly and the rumor is he celebrated only to learn the next day the kid changed his mind and gave a verbal to BCU.

My quibble with Zionn is slightly different than what I've seen. I want him to continue offering us information. But I would suggest he change his approach slightly. The statement "Next" was great for a while, but I feel the time to be that brief has ended. It denotes finality and absoluteness. And even though it is extremely accurate, there are always surprises (positive and negative). Why state absoluteness in a fluid universe? Furthermore we are a group with different sensitivities so why not present information with some equivocation? It doesn't hit the shock button as badly when Zionn or any insider turns out to be wrong. It won't avoid all s&*t storms that we just observed butI believe it will end up more positive than negative.

To be fair, Zionn shouldn't have to put a disclaimer that his "next" is not absolute and that everything is fluid. People should be well informed enough to know that - it's fairly self-evident. If someone flips out because an inside source turned out to be incorrect, that's on him/her.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
To be fair, Zionn shouldn't have to put a disclaimer that his "next" is not absolute and that everything is fluid. People should be well informed enough to know that - it's fairly self-evident. If someone flips out because an inside source turned out to be incorrect, that's on him/her.
Would it shock you that I agree with you? It shouldn't be his burden. People should know. But it's apparent they don't. If these things devolve so be it. But he responded to those people and I got the feeling it did bother him. Although I believe he can handle it some of his responses made me wonder. My advice was directed for him. I shouldn't have used the word quibble. Otherwise I stand behind what I wrote.

Reaction Score
He was responding to people that say Zionn makes stuff up and rides off of info that others here post. Nobody's saying he's dead on, or even is as close to the situation as a guy like Oz, but those are pretty harsh claims to make for a guy who has given us a lot of good info.

But that's the question, isn't it? Is he giving you -- us "good info", or is he giving us high percentage guesses? I have no issue if it's just the latter -- he should just be clear on which it is.

Reaction Score
I feel like people are sleeping on Kentucky in Gabriel's recruitment, which is a strange thing to say. If UK misses out on Miles Bridges, wouldn't be surprised if they land Gabriel.

sammydabiz

I sport NewBalance sneakers to avoid a narrow path
Reaction Score
The offseason is always rough in the boneyard, instead of having players to bitch about, 'yarders inevitably start attacking one another. It's sad but true

For me any "inside" (or outside) info I'm grateful for, so thanks in advance. Saves me from roaming the Internet.

Reaction Score
But that's the question, isn't it? Is he giving you -- us "good info", or is he giving us high percentage guesses? I have no issue if it's just the latter -- he should just be clear on which it is.
That's my main thing, people keep saying he's incredibly accurate with his "Next" calls. I feel that anyone who follows recruiting will be extremely accurate with their next calls, we are involved with a ton of kids and we are only going to get a few of them. Many if not most recruitments the writing is on the wall at some point and it's easy to say "Next," every once in a while a Juwan Durham comes along and kind of surprises everyone. There are enough people here that say Zionn has sources/good info for me not to say he is high percentage guessing. Everyone gets that recruiting is fluid, 16-18 year olds aren't the most reliable people in the world, so maybe Nexting every teenager isn't the best approach. I guess I'm just not too impressed with Nexting a whole bunch of recruits where in most cases the writing is already on the wall. I'm impressed when people flat out say a kid is committing and they even give the date of the commitment, that means you are really plugged into the program and really do have great sources. Sorry for attacking Zionn that wasn't my intention, most on the board seem to like the service he provides, just giving my two cents on his approach.

Curiouser
Reaction Score

Chicken-Marsala.jpg

Reaction Score
I feel like people are sleeping on Kentucky in Gabriel's recruitment, which is a strange thing to say. If UK misses out on Miles Bridges, wouldn't be surprised if they land Gabriel.

Idk. You're right UK is still a factor, but if academics truly are a priority for his family then UConn, Maryland, and obviously Duke are superior.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TTown

Top Bottom