SF/PF Wenyen Gabriel (Kentucky Commit) | Page 3 | The Boneyard

SF/PF Wenyen Gabriel (Kentucky Commit)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
DD was scouted wrong, he was never athletically 'there' to be a pure wing (say an ariza), however the skills that he developed as a stretch 4 has translated to him being on the raptors roster. Sure they may be developing his wing skills , but thats only to add potency to his overall skillset while playing stretch 4 ( his true position in the nba, i dont care what the raptors say). dd wasn't in storrs being the ball handler in pick n roll situations, that would have been utterly useless due to how long those specific skills take to develop.

He got his bread n butter; the importance of screen setting, catch n shoot, post game. its a myopic view to come into college as a prospect and want to cater your game to a certain position ( thats prettyy antiquated, 6'10 dudes are playing the 4 now)

Reaction Score
I should note that there was no indication of what Gabriel prefers - just that UConn was recruiting him as a SF.
if thats true thats surprising. I would envision that uconn was recruiting him as a 6'10 dude who does everything on the floor. not a guy coming off screens etc

Reaction Score
I agree with your general points, but Draymond Green is the exception not the rule. Before he even arrived at Michigan State, Green was already known as a versatile player. With his frame, that was something he had to be in order to play in the front court.

Look at a guy like DeAndre Daniels. We all love him here because he played PF for two years without complaint, right? He gets drafted early in the second round in a relatively deep draft and then gets sent to Australia. Why? Because the Raptors wanted him to work on his wing skills. (article)

Sure we would love to have players that will do anything for the team, but they also have to do the right things for themselves too. In order to be a SF, he will have to see time at SF. Which is why I have no problem with Wenyen Gabriel wanting to be recruiting as a SF.

I think that's DeAndre's issue, not where KO played him(which he did have issue with according to his AAU coach). DD made alot of strides in his game, his 3 point shot improved every year until he was over 40% and he got much better with his post game until the point where I thought he was much more developed operating with his back to the basket and/or pivoting to faceup than alot of other prototypical college wings, but he was still subpar with his handle and he didn't develop his body enough. If he had got up to about 220-225lbs, with his size and length teams could have used him as a 4. If he had also developed a handle, that would have have helped in his ability to play the 3 and also create a mismatch problem with slower 4s who have trouble defending in space. Playing the 4 in college shouldn't have stopped him from developing both his body and his handle, really putting on weight should've been priority #1 because he's still too thin even as a 3. I know guys have issues putting on weight, but for DD to leave college weighing 196lbs when he weighed 193lbs in 2010 leads me to believe something was up with his weight training.

Dynasty

Never not member
Reaction Score
I think that's DeAndre's issue, not where KO played him(which he did have issue with according to his AAU coach). DD made alot of strides in his game, his 3 point shot improved every year until he was over 40% and he got much better with his post game until the point where I thought he was much more developed operating with his back to the basket and/or pivoting to faceup than alot of other prototypical college wings, but he was still subpar with his handle and he didn't develop his body enough. If he had got up to about 220-225lbs, with his size and length teams could have used him as a 4. If he had also developed a handle, that would have have helped in his ability to play the 3 and also create a mismatch problem with slower 4s who have trouble defending in space. Playing the 4 in college shouldn't have stopped him from developing both his body and his handle, really putting on weight should've been priority #1 because he's still too thin even as a 3. I know guys have issues putting on weight, but for DD to leave college weighing 196lbs when he weighed 193lbs in 2010 leads me to believe something was up with his weight training.

Maybe I'm jumping to conclusions, but it seems you think that it is DD's fault that he wasn't prepared to be a 4. A position that he wasn't recruited to play at. At least not primarily.

Looking at a guy like DD, I'm not sure how you could think he could get to 220-225 lbs. As you acknowledged, guys have issues putting on weight. Even if there was something was really wrong with his weight training regime, DD doesn't have the frame of a guy who can go from 193 to 225 in 3 years during college unless he starts using "stuff".

Yes, DD's handles were/is subpar. But don't you think that if he played the 3 instead of the 4 that he could have achieved more progress? He would have had more opportunities to put the ball on the deck and do something with it in realtime game action. DD's dribble wasn't getting challenged by being guarded by more traditional 4s as much as it would have being guarded by 3s since he had the speed advantage over those kinds of 4s.

DD played the 4 valiantly out of necessity. Initially because of the roster situation and then simply because it was Ollie's best lineup and he did pretty well. Kudos to him for not transferring or anything like that, but if he is going to make the NBA it has to be at the 3, a position he didn't really get prepared while he was here.

Looping back what got this discussion started, I have no problem with guys declaring their desire to play a specific position(though I guess that doesn't apply to Gabriel at this moment). Guys like Draymond Green aren't common. Sure, they could improve through practice and scrimmage but that doesn't compare to realtime game action against different oppenents and styles of play.

Reaction Score
Love how Gabriel is a selfish player because KO is recruiting him for a different position than what he is listed for on recruiting sites.

The Boneyard, where logic goes to die.

Reaction Score
Maybe I'm jumping to conclusions, but it seems you think that it is DD's fault that he wasn't prepared to be a 4. A position that he wasn't recruited to play at. At least not primarily.

Looking at a guy like DD, I'm not sure how you could think he could get to 220-225 lbs. As you acknowledged, guys have issues putting on weight. Even if there was something was really wrong with his weight training regime, DD doesn't have the frame of a guy who can go from 193 to 225 in 3 years during college unless he starts using "stuff".

Yes, DD's handles were/is subpar. But don't you think that if he played the 3 instead of the 4 that he could have achieved more progress? He would have had more opportunities to put the ball on the deck and do something with it in realtime game action. DD's dribble wasn't getting challenged by being guarded by more traditional 4s as much as it would have being guarded by 3s since he had the speed advantage over those kinds of 4s.

DD played the 4 valiantly out of necessity. Initially because of the roster situation and then simply because it was Ollie's best lineup and he did pretty well. Kudos to him for not transferring or anything like that, but if he is going to make the NBA it has to be at the 3, a position he didn't really get prepared while he was here.

Looping back what got this discussion started, I have no problem with guys declaring their desire to play a specific position(though I guess that doesn't apply to Gabriel at this moment). Guys like Draymond Green aren't common. Sure, they could improve through practice and scrimmage but that doesn't compare to realtime game action against different oppenents and styles of play.
Throw the positions aside for a minute, I'm saying DD didn't develop enough as a player and physically for the next level, and what positions he played didn't factor into that. KO used DD all over the floor extended out to the 3 point line, so I don't really see what playing the 4 should have to do with his lack of a developed handle, its not like we stuck him near the basket or had him only shoot foul line jumpers like Jeff Adrien. As for the weight, DD weighed 193lbs in 2010 at Nike camp, he weighed 196lbs in 2014 at the combine as a 22 year old. A 3lb weight gain for a 6'9 guy is a kinda ridiculous to me. DD had a skinny frame but so did Lamb and Scoe and when you see their bodies now compared to what they looked like as freshmen it is night and day. DD has shown no development at all there.

Reaction Score
Love how Gabriel is a selfish player because KO is recruiting him for a different position than what he is listed for on recruiting sites.

The Boneyard, where logic goes to die.

Actually, I think this thread has evolved into a quality discussion on both sides. I enjoyed reading it.

Agree with ace on the offensive side. Other than pick and pops my main recollection of DD on offense is getting the ball outside on the wing or baseline with the opportunity to drive, pass or shoot. We didn't post him up a ton. I think Dynasty's argument about position mattering may have more validity on D than O. Defensively, we needed DD first and foremost to be a force on the defensive glass and as a shotblocker; he probably can't do the same in the NBA.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score

KU interested now. Comments about Self's inability to develop NBA talent aside, he has had some success with recruiting NE recently.

Astonishingly, a brain-dead troll had the gall to reply and ask if PC was in the lead...

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score

KU interested now. Comments about Self's inability to develop NBA talent aside, he has had some success with recruiting NE recently.

Astonishingly, a brain-dead troll had the gall to reply and ask if PC was in the lead...

Interestingly, the Duke insider (Adam Slater) - who seems to have good sources on K & his program - just picked Gabriel for us in the crystal ball.

Take it with the usual grain of salt, but I think it's promising that so soon after we've heard Duke is interested, the guy who follows Duke the closest picks Gabriel to UConn.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Interestingly, the Duke insider (Adam Slater) - who seems to have good sources on K & his program - just picked Gabriel for us in the crystal ball.

Take it with the usual grain of salt, but I think it's promising that so soon after we've heard Duke is interested, the guy who follows Duke the closest picks Gabriel to UConn.

Agreed. It doesn't hurt that the past few years, Duke hasn't recruited NE very well.

Reaction Score

Think a Slater pick is good news.

If anyone is a member of 247, I suggest reading the Duke board for recruiting news. You'll quickly find that Slater is one of the most connected recruiting guys in the business. And although he is a Duke guy, he is based out of New York, so his stuff on northeast recruiting is pretty accurate. Think he must have heard some convincing stuff to make the pick for UConn.

pj

Reaction Score
Yeah. This team might not have a classic center (if Brimah leaves a year early, in 2016-17 Gabriel fills the 5th interior spot with Enoch, Diarra, Larrier, Facey; in 2017-18 the 4th spot with Enoch, Diarra, Larrier), but it would have five players who would pose threats to the defense on the floor at all times, and lots of speed and length on defense. It would leave us well positioned to look for a 2017 center to fill out the interior.

Reaction Score

To add to what I said before, Slater just published an interview with Gabriel. So, a crystal ball pick from him after that interview seems to be a very good sign.

Reaction Score
Would be elated at this possible commit, terrific prospect as KO continues to pwn NE prep scene. perhaps his buddy makai ashton langford follows suit

Reaction Score
Gabriel to UConn will ruffle some feathers in Providence, that's for sure.

Reaction Score
Gabriel to UConn will ruffle some feathers in Providence, that's for sure.
Always a fan of that. Saw that they are still arguing that Cotton is a better player than Napier.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Think a Slater pick is good news.

If anyone is a member of 247, I suggest reading the Duke board for recruiting news. You'll quickly find that Slater is one of the most connected recruiting guys in the business. And although he is a Duke guy, he is based out of New York, so his stuff on northeast recruiting is pretty accurate. Think he must have heard some convincing stuff to make the pick for UConn.
Does this mean you will put him in your pinned thread about recruits with all the fantastic info and links etc. Would like to give you another like.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom