SF/PF Wenyen Gabriel (Kentucky Commit) | Page 2 | The Boneyard

SF/PF Wenyen Gabriel (Kentucky Commit)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
He reminds of T-More era Ajou Deng (that's a big compliment). Long, skilled, but I'm not sure he's a 3. Thought the Facey comp was pretty accurate too.
After watching the clip, I can see the Ajou Deng comparison, but he looks more skilled and athletic. He does seem to have a DD type game but looks Ajou long. He needs to fill out some or he'll be defensive liability, too slow to defend quicker 3s, two weak to defend most 4s. Not sure how much he can add to his frame.

With all that said, there have been many long tweeners that have been very good college players, and some have been able to fill out and become very good Pros such as our very own Donyell Marshall. He reminded me a little of Yell. Struggled at times keeping quicker players from blowing by him, but made up for it with his shot blocking. He was the master of the block from behind.

So his upside could be Yell. He could be Ajou II, though he looks much quicker and stronger than Deng.

Would he be one of my top choices for one of the available ships as a 3-4 tweeter? IDK. Intriguing regional prospects to keep an eye on.

Reaction Score
Donyell is the 1st comp that comes to my mind, and I'm betting on the capability to be Donyell like. For me I focus on the advantages he has in length and skills when the ball is delivered to him in the right spots. And by the way, that is Jalen Adams passing to him regularly in those mix tapes. Facey and Enoch get occasional points in the flow of an offense, Brimah needs the ball passed to his finishing spots, Diarra seems like he'll get his points off energy rebounds, Gabriel is an offensive minded scoring.shooting big that allows us to put scoring pressure on a defense down low, with enough offensive game to stretch the bigs from the basket. I'd stress his offensive advantages to a team. Daniels didn't have bulk but did the job down low at the 4 when needed, and the quickness of 6'6 inch 3's can be negated with defensive schemes when he plays defense at that position. He's likely a good match guarding other stretch 4's. I'm ALL IN on him as a complement to our existing mix of bigs for 2016-2017.

Reaction Score
Donyell is the 1st comp that comes to my mind, and I'm betting on the capability to be Donyell like. For me I focus on the advantages he has in length and skills when the ball is delivered to him in the right spots. And by the way, that is Jalen Adams passing to him regularly in those mix tapes. Facey and Enoch get occasional points in the flow of an offense, Brimah needs the ball passed to his finishing spots, Diarra seems like he'll get his points off energy rebounds, Gabriel is an offensive minded scoring.shooting big that allows us to put scoring pressure on a defense down low, with enough offensive game to stretch the bigs from the basket. I'd stress his offensive advantages to a team. Daniels didn't have bulk but did the job down low at the 4 when needed, and the quickness of 6'6 inch 3's can be negated with defensive schemes when he plays defense at that position. He's likely a good match guarding other stretch 4's. I'm ALL IN on him as a complement to our existing mix of bigs for 2016-2017.

While I agree Brimah certainly needs the ball passed to his finishing spots thus far he's only proven to do that with the oop. He needs to find spots on the floor and understand the flow of the game before we start thinking the guards need to help him, for now he needs to comeback helping himself. Hopefully a full summer puts him in that mindset.

Reaction Score
I'd like for people to explain the Facey comparison. I really don't see it at all. Wenyen seems to have the ability to play on the perimeter. His highlights show a nice touch, and a shooting stroke with potential. When I watch a Facey highlight i see a raw big with a tone of energy and potential, no sign of a developing perimeter shot or handle.

Not to mention Wenyen is playing in the Nepsac and summer ball in the adidas circuit. While Facey played in long island public school, and am not sure about his AAU.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
The first comparison that comes to mind is Wenyen Gabriel. Carbon copies.

C

Chief00

Ok I will surprise the choir out there - I actually think Facey has a decent stroke - not perfected mind you but not mechanically beyond repair like so many guys unfortunately.
What he has not demonstrated is s passion to work his way to be that special player both in the weight room and in individual shooting workouts.

KembaStepback

Rains Triples
Reaction Score
Any updates on this kid? I saw that he's taking a visit to Storrs in another thread. Is it an official or unofficial?

Reaction Score
Among this group from Rivals, any other serious targets besides Gabriel?

Reaction Score
Among this group from Rivals, any other serious targets besides Gabriel?
Definitely Makai Ashton-Langford. Believe Taelon Martin is very young, possibly still in middle school, but supposedly very young.

Obviously, the other could develop as well and turn out very good.

Reaction Score
Thought UConn was recruiting Gabriel as a PF - per a 247 article, Gabriel says UConn is recruiting him as a SF.

Reaction Score
wenyen gabriel thinking he can play sf is like that time drummond was asked who his game resembles and he said kevin durant ha.

jokes aside he can just fill the old daniels role, forget positions. push the ball if you get boards and create. dont fall in love with the jumper. snatch boards.

isn't maryland super hard on this kid? (who knows just off 247 we cooled off) I really like his teammate the pg Makai Ashton Langford , i actually like him more than waters.

Reaction Score
Thought UConn was recruiting Gabriel as a PF - per a 247 article, Gabriel says UConn is recruiting him as a SF.

Maybe we're just trying to avoid another Cleveland Melvin/Moe Harkless situation.

Reaction Score
I know he is young but i get turned off by prospects who are hell bent ( this probablyy isn't the case with gabriel, just saying though) on playing a certain position on a team, just be a good basketball player. Why shoehorn yourself into something when its not even beneficial. so many undersized sg's masquerading as point guards now adays. Not trying to beat a dead horse but its sunk many careers. (ahem scoe)

Dynasty

Never not member
Reaction Score
I know he is young but i get turned off by prospects who are hell bent ( this probablyy isn't the case with gabriel, just saying though) on playing a certain position on a team, just be a good basketball player. Why shoehorn yourself into something when its not even beneficial. so many undersized sg's masquerading as point guards now adays. Not trying to beat a dead horse but its sunk many careers. (ahem scoe)

Because they are trying to get to the NBA. A guy like Roscoe wasn't going to make to the NBA as a pure PF, which is why he thought transferring was his best option to get game action as a SF. Just didn't work out for him.

IMO looking at Gabriel, his frame doesn't lend itself to the idea that he will get any bigger than 215-220 lbs. A 6'10"(or whatever Gabriel's real height is) 220 lbs SF is a good size for a SF. For a PF? Not so much.

Reaction Score
Because they are trying to get to the NBA. A guy like Roscoe wasn't going to make to the NBA as a pure PF, which is why he thought transferring was his best option to get game action as a SF. Just didn't work out for him.

IMO looking at Gabriel, his frame doesn't lend itself to the idea that he will get any bigger than 215-220 lbs. A 6'10"(or whatever Gabriel's real height is) 220 lbs SF is a good size for a SF. For a PF? Not so much.
But that's the thing, stop worrying about the position and just develop the skill set and you'll be fine. You can develop a handle, work on you jumper, and be a good passer while playing the PF, Roscoe didn't. Look at someone like Draymond Green, he's long enough and strong enough to defend 4s while being a bit undersized height wise, and then on the opposite end he can be a matchup problem because he can pass, shoot, and dribble. Guys just gotta work on their skill set and work on being versatile, that will help them at the next level more than anything.

Reaction Score
But that's the thing, stop worrying about the position and just develop the skill set and you'll be fine. You can develop a handle, work on you jumper, and be a good passer while playing the PF, Roscoe didn't. Look at someone like Draymond Green, he's long enough and strong enough to defend 4s while being a bit undersized height wise, and then on the opposite end he can be a matchup problem because he can pass, shoot, and dribble. Guys just gotta work on their skill set and work on being versatile, that will help them at the next level more than anything.

Bingo ace. Just try to be the best overall "basketball player" you can be. Draymond Green is a basketball player and a guy who committed himself to being someone everyone needs on their roster. He succeeded because he does everything well, not great just really well - great story. Love the way he plays.

Dynasty

Never not member
Reaction Score

I agree with your general points, but Draymond Green is the exception not the rule. Before he even arrived at Michigan State, Green was already known as a versatile player. With his frame, that was something he had to be in order to play in the front court.

Look at a guy like DeAndre Daniels. We all love him here because he played PF for two years without complaint, right? He gets drafted early in the second round in a relatively deep draft and then gets sent to Australia. Why? Because the Raptors wanted him to work on his wing skills. (article)

Sure we would love to have players that will do anything for the team, but they also have to do the right things for themselves too. In order to be a SF, he will have to see time at SF. Which is why I have no problem with Wenyen Gabriel wanting to be recruiting as a SF.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer