Seth Greenberg weighs in: "not good for WCBB" | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Seth Greenberg weighs in: "not good for WCBB"

Reaction Score
If i read the tweets correctly by Seth..... it is no harm saying that it is a shame no team can compete consistently with UConn..... and i do not have a problem with folks voicing the opinion on whether it is good or bad for the game..... it is.... after all.... their opinion...... what is not palatable is when the argument extends to us..... and saying that the fault lies with us.....

Others can compete..... Notre Dame in 2001 when we had a great roster...... Skylar Diggins and her teams had our number for 2 or 3 years..... Vic did a great job last year as has been pointed out.... and has built his program from the ground up ....like Scott R at Oregon State .....

There are very good teams out there..... I heard on Maryland broadcast today that Texas has 10 McDonalds All Americans on their roster .... Wow!!! I have never heard of this number of top tiered players on any team before....... Tennessee the last year or two had 6 or 7 McDs... more than any other team they played..... Baylor, South Carolina...... plenty of competition and great competition at that....

As always with the women's game it comes down to coaching..... and thankful we have had the best for some time....

Reaction Score
Thinly veiled misogyny. Perhaps unintentional, he has 3 daughters after all, but there are so many better approaches to the point I think he was trying to make. Like, mostly male admin and AD's who fail to treat women's sports equally with money and attention so more coaches can build programs- the failure to recognize Geno's brilliance as a basketball coach, not just as a women's coach-the inequality in professional pay, and foremost, a country that still looks at women as second class. Before things can change, they have to be admitted.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
Does anyone doubt that it would be better for WCBB if there were AT LEAST one other team that is pretty consistently at the level of UConn, as Notre Dame was for about 3 years and as Tennessee was for over a decade? Maybe Baylor or Texas will get there -- based on their recruiting and their rosters, they probably should be there already.

You can't ignore the fact that last year's NC game (Miss St vs. South Carolina) got about 30% higher ratings than the UConn vs. Syracuse game the previous year. I wonder if it got better ratings than the UConn vs. Notre Dame NC game (was it in 2013?) where both teams entered the game undefeated. Somehow, I doubt it. The attraction last year was that the game didn't involve UConn, and therefore the outcome was not seen as pre-ordained. At least, that is my assessment.

The difficulty in having more than one team at UConn's level is that there are no other coaches like Geno, and there are unlikely to be any for several decades. By now, his proven reputation (acknowledged even by rivals when they are being honest) for developing talented players more fully than any other coach has earned him access to the very best players. As long as he is able to do that, his reign over WCBB will continue.

On that note, I saw when I watched the Steelers vs. Titans game last Thursday night that Tennessee's defensive coordinator, Dick Lebeau, has just enjoyed his 80th birthday. He used to be the Steelers' defensive coordinator, but they eased him out in 2015 so that his younger protégé could take over the job. But Lebeau found that he was restless in retirement, so he returned to the sideline. Until last week's game, his defense had been carrying the Titans to a 6-3 record, and for two and half quarters it looked like they would stifle the Steelers' offense as well.

Imagine if Geno takes after Lebeau and continues to be an effective coach after his 80th birthday!?

Last edited:

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Imagine if Geno takes after Lebeau and continues to be an effective coach after his 80th birthday!?
That could be really, really, really bad for women's basketball...:rolleyes:

Reaction Score
Does anyone doubt that it would be better for WCBB if there were AT LEAST one other team that is pretty consistently at the level of UConn, as Notre Dame was for about 3 years and as Tennessee was for over a decade? Maybe Baylor or Texas will get there -- based on their recruiting and their rosters, they probably should be there already.

You can't ignore the fact that last year's NC game (Miss St vs. South Carolina) got about 30% higher ratings than the UConn vs. Syracuse game the previous year. I wonder if it got better ratings than the UConn vs. Notre Dame NC game (was it in 2013?) where both teams entered the game undefeated. Somehow, I doubt it. The attraction last year was that the game didn't involve UConn, and therefore the outcome was not seen as pre-ordained. At least, that is my assessment.

The difficulty in having more than one team at UConn's level is that there are no other coaches like Geno, and there are unlikely to be any for several decades. By now, his proven reputation (acknowledged even by rivals when they are being honest) for developing talented players more fully than any other coach has earned him access to the very best players. As long as he is able to do that, his reign over WCBB will continue.

On that note, I saw when I watched the Steelers vs. Titans game last Thursday night that Tennessee's defensive coordinator, Dick Lebeau, has just enjoyed his 80th birthday. He used to be the Steelers' defensive coordinator, but they eased him out in 2015 so that his younger protégé could take over the job. But Lebeau found that he was restless in retirement, so he returned to the sideline. Until last week's game, his defense had been carrying the Titans to a 6-3 record, and for two and half quarters it looked like they would stifle the Steelers' offense as well.

Or maybe many people tuned in to watch a very good 2-seed team - the team that knocked off UCONN play a number 1 seed? The year before was it UCONN was the issue or was it Syracuse -- whom by the way had a pretty good team but gets how many fans to their games? Is their low attendance because UCONN is "bad for the game" too?

When I took a family a few games - the young boys 1st year thought it was cool, after that -- they would talk about men's hoop. The men play a lot of close games. You think that's it? I don't. It's the athleticism. The dunks. The electricity. Why do you think the dunk competition is still going on? Why is it often if you watch ESPN - they'll show off quite a few dunks as highlights?

I never thought this many years ago- but I've some time ago since changed my mind. The hoops need to be lowered. Not sure how old you are but when I was in my teens and twenties a very very very very very long ago- and I was with a gorup of my friends or very young with my family, do you think I cared about "the beauty of the game?" Or do you think many young guys would be more excited watching a Jordan twist through the air changing the ball from his right hand to his left while he makes some miraculous shot?

IMO you are kidding yourself if you believe that many of those fans that watched the Miss State USC game that didn't watch the UCONN- Cuse game would be wcbb fans just if UCONN's dominance went away. Can you imagine if Gabby at 5'10 or so did a power dunk over 6'4 Monique Billings at one end while at the other end Billings did a one hand slam off an alley-oop at the other end? Forget the "novelty" just suppose dunking was happening - but if they lowered the rim and you had women players with their heads near the rim both blocking shots, and dunking - that that wouldn't be more attraction to young guys from 10-30 years old vs. a close game? Isn't it that many men don't watch wcbb?

Just take a look at the finals from years ago - one UCONN's all-time best teams vs probably one of Stanford's all-time best teams. The halftime score was 20-12. IT WAS CLOSE. Stanford "could have won" before the game started. Stanford was a scary opponent. At halftime they were ahead by 8. Do you seriously think this would have attracted many young guys in 10-30 year old range? It is in my opinion that it's so out of touch to believe "the beauty of ball movement" and/or "close games" will attract fans when as a frustrated Knicks fan - I've seen many years Madison Square Garden packed while their team leader Carmelo Anthony is known for playing isolation basketball and their teams just stunk. How many close games do you think the Knicks played vs the elite teams vs the bad teams? More fans would come and watch the elite teams regardless of the score, wouldn't they?

One of the most exciting college teams when I was in my early twenties was team in Houston that went by the nickname of Phi Slama Jama. You don't think guys like "Clyde The Glide Drexler" and Hakeem The Dream Olajuwon" and Larry Mr Mean Micheaux and Benny The Bomber From Bernice Anders didn't electrify audiences whether a game was close or not?

IMO you poll guys in that 10-30 range and you ask them would they prefer to watch a close women's game or watch Phi Slama Type team - most in that range will want to be electrified by Phi Slama Jama. -- Not me. :)
Though I'm older. The dunk as a kid or when I was much younger with my friends watching was damn exciting. There is a reason why I was so amazed as kid watching "The Human Highlight Film" - Dominique Wilkins. Did I care in my teens whether the game was close or not? The family I took to the game- they want to be electrified too imo. They don't care about the "analysis" and "beauty of ball movement" etc. Now what about if I was 13 and saw Gabby Williams as "The Human Highlight Film?" That link below - that close game would do absolutely nothing for me at 13 years old - or if I were with friends at 18 or 22 etc. I doubt it would do a damn thing for many guys in 10-30 range. And at the time these were two very powerful teams.

UCONNHUSKIES.COM :: University Of Connecticut Official Athletic Site University Of Connecticut Official Athletic Site - Women's Basketball

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Is the problem that those who rated Stanford overestimated what they had remaining? They lost a lot. However, Tara will find something that works and add in that a buzzsaw just shredded them but time will tell.

Agree on this. The preseason polls are to blame...not UConn for making Stanford #10. You saw right away Ohio St beat them...and Louisville beating Ohio St. Based on this, the marquee game would be UConn vs Louisville! :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
IMHO, most of the time, anyone who tunes in a UCONN WCBB game because they want to watch closely-fought, competitive basketball has chosen the wrong game. If they want to watch well-played basketball -- at least by one team -- they came to the right place. There is a difference in these two motivations.

I disagree just a little, "anyone who tunes in a UCONN WCBB game because they want to watch closely-fought, competitive basketball has chosen the wrong game." In my mind they have chosen the wrong team!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom