Seth Greenberg weighs in: "not good for WCBB" | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Seth Greenberg weighs in: "not good for WCBB"

Reaction Score
So a non-WCBB analyst should know that all the coaches and WCBB writers who ranked Stanford #10 don't know what they're doing?

SO what good is his analysis then? And isn't he competent enough to understand pre-seaoson rankings don't mena a lot? Doesn't eh have the experience enough to understand this? And after the 1st game in which Stanford got wiped off the floor and realizing how young STanford is, he's too stupid to figure this game is no longer a marquis matchup?

SO as olddude a say she's this smart guy" but yet too stupid to understand Stanford just isn't ready yet? SO here he is demeaning the sport for a team - I guess you agree was completely over-matched - yet we've sen th lats two years some exciting moments in March. SO he focuses on the over-matched opponent in November even though he was too stupid ot see it coming (by calling it marquis)?

Don't us husky fans relaize this tema may be among the best ever at UCONN? Were't they even talking about it on ESPN? And yet Seth doesn't have the brains to adapt that maybe the polls are wrong even after Stanford got wiped out by OSU?

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Are you serious? Stop it. You're just being ridiculously argumentative if you didn't think that game was a blowout.
I'm being argumentative? HH, I don't believe that Stanford-tOSU was a blowout, at least not by my standard. For the record, I define a blowout as a game that is clearly a mismatch from the start,, i.e. Stanford-UConn, and also for the record, this discussion has nothing to do with Seth's point that WBB needs compelling games, i.e. Louisville-tOSU to generate greater fan interest.

Last edited by a moderator:

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
Was there an earlier tweet that Seth deleted?

Biff

Mega Monster Moderator
Reaction Score
Here's a hint, it involves a whole lot of rich, Corinthian leather. A lot.
Ah. I can still see Ricardo saying that. BTW, that "Corinthian leather" mostly came from New Jersey.... :)

Reaction Score
UConn WBB fans are in the most enviable position of any sports fans, any sport, probably ever. No-one in their right mind would argue this is "good" for the sport, but it is what it is, and nothing is going to change real soon. Not our problem the team is so good, so often. As my sainted mother used to say eons ago when I'd get my knickers in a twist over some snarky comment or another, "Consider the source, son, consider the source." Chill.

Reaction Score
When 1 vs 10 you want close competition not this game non uconn fans want to see close not a 30 pint blow out is his point and he’s right

Seth is absolutely right. That game stunk for anyone outside CT. Totally uninteresting. Geno knows it too. That’s why he played the subs more than usual. He did his best to keep the score down. It was too late. Everyone but UConn fans stopped watching at halftime.

Reaction Score
UConn WBB fans are in the most enviable position of any sports fans, any sport, probably ever. No-one in their right mind would argue this is "good" for the sport, but it is what it is, and nothing is going to change real soon. Not our problem the team is so good, so often. As my sainted mother used to say eons ago when I'd get my knickers in a twist over some snarky comment or another, "Consider the source, son, consider the source." Chill.

You are 100% right. How many games will be worth watching if you want competitiveness? Regular season games I say two- South Carolina and UCLA. Everyone else sucks including my favorite team Louisville next to UConn. What can you do? Nothing because no one can compete with them. Walz, McGraw and Mulkey do there best but they can’t compete. Thank you Morgan William!!

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I'm being argumentative? HH, I don't believe that Stanford-tOSU was a blowout, at least not by my standard. For the record, I define a blowout as a game that is clearly a mismatch from the start,, i.e. Stanford-UConn, and also for the record, this discussion has nothing to do with Seth's point that WBB needs compelling games, i.e. Louisville-tOSU to generate greater fan interest.
Yes the Louisville OSU game was a thriller. Not nearly as fundamentally sound as a UConn team for sure but it was compelling and not a snooze fest

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Was there an earlier tweet that Seth deleted?
It appears that he did delete his original tweet. UConn Nation has descended upon him lol.

Reaction Score
You are 100% right. How many games will be worth watching if you want competitiveness? Regular season games I say two- South Carolina and UCLA. Everyone else sucks including my favorite team Louisville next to UConn. What can you do? Nothing because no one can compete with them. Walz, McGraw and Mulkey do there best but they can’t compete. Thank you Morgan William!!

Vic Schaefer is a good example. An excellent coach who's spent what, 6 years?, building his program, brick by brick, and he made it to the finals, slaying the dragon along the way. I suspect because of it they'll get better attendance this year, more recruits know who they are, and hopefully the school will give them what they need to compete facility-wise. And he'll continue to build his team and his culture and he'll win. But it doesn't happen easily or overnight. Find a couple of dozen coaches like Schaefer, support them and one day Geno will be retired and the era of truly competitive and balanced women's college basketball will dawn. In the meantime, we can enjoy what we have, but it won't last forever. Only one Geno Auriemma.

Golden Husky

The Midas Touch
Reaction Score
A couple issues I have with his comment. First, I'm willing to bet he wasn't even watching the game. He's in some studio somewhere watching MEN'S basketball and only occasionally checking the UConn score.

Second, why didn't he complain about the one-sided Stanford-Ohio State game? I suspect he wasn't even aware of it.
Speaking of watching stuff, has anyone seen the post game press conference video? If so, please attach the link.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Vic Schaefer is a good example. An excellent coach who's spent what, 6 years?, building his program, brick by brick, and he made it to the finals, slaying the dragon along the way. I suspect because of it they'll get better attendance this year, more recruits know who they are, and hopefully the school will give them what they need to compete facility-wise. And he'll continue to build his team and his culture and he'll win. But it doesn't happen easily or overnight. Find a couple of dozen coaches like Schaefer, support them and one day Geno will be retired and the era of truly competitive and balanced women's college basketball will dawn. In the meantime, we can enjoy what we have, but it won't last forever. Only one Geno Auriemma.
I think there will always be a few very superior teams. Some that are sort of always such and others that drift in and out, such as Mississippi State may become for a few years (or longer). UConn is in a class by itself.

As to the point made not far above - yep, quit watching at the half. Wasn't the only game I quit watching at the half (or earlier) today. Even the decent teams are mostly playing nobody. (UConn just makes their opponents look like nobody). Seth is in general correct, even if the UConn game today was not the spot to raise the point. A piece of the "gaining fans" puzzle is certainly having some competition for best team. Right now - and for a very long time - there is and has been only one best team, the only question is if they can be "upset", as happened last year. Not UConn's fault - but it is the way it is, and until more coaches can get the support they need and develop better teams and attract the recruits they need that are often attracted to a relatively short list of teams . . . things won't change.

Reaction Score
So a non-WCBB analyst should know that all the coaches and WCBB writers who ranked Stanford #10 don't know what they're doing?

Stanford will get better and dominate their league on their way to the their league championship and the NCAA'S.

wallman

UCLA Bruin
Reaction Score
Is the problem that those who rated Stanford overestimated what they had remaining? They lost a lot. However, Tara will find something that works and add in that a buzzsaw just shredded them but time will tell.

Reaction Score
Simple fact, #1 beating #10, 49-14 at the half is not going to draw in the casual viewer. I don't understand why folks have such a hard time accepting that reality.

Point #2: Seth knows Geno from when they were both assistants at UVa (he with the men) in the early 80s.

Because the fact is UConn games have been highly rated for several years. For all who say it hurts the game, Nielsen ratings don't seem to agree. And Stanford is clearly not a top 10 team right now. He may have a larger point, but first game out of the gate........he is better than that. Not much better, but better than that.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Because the fact is UConn games have been highly rated for several years. For all who say it hurts the game, Nielsen ratings don't seem to agree. And Stanford is clearly not a top 10 team right now. He may have a larger point, but first game out of the gate...he is better than that. Not much better, but better than that.
I said something similar about the timing of his remark above. But as to the ratings - UConn games would, of course, get good viewership - they have a large fan base, it is a very attractive style of basketball played at a very high level and often the match-up appears to be compelling.

The larger point has nothing to do with UConn - and actually, although I echo the need for other teams to step up - little to do with them either. The larger point is just there is little compelling in WBB to attract the non-fan. Not sure what can be done about it, but ultimately the only compelling stories at this point are all about UConn - how long will their streak(s) run, how many NC's can they win, etc. Obviously a great rivalry, such as UConn and Tennessee were at one time wouldn't hurt, but I don't see any candidate to challenge you.

Reaction Score
I love the board. I enjoy many insights you guys make. I just wanted to comment on Seth. I met him when I was covering Basketball SEC media day. Uconn just one the national championship in 2000. He asked Pat for her reaction. He comes from Philly. He talked to me about how great Geno is as a coach. I learned so much about the Uconn program from him. Before then I hadn't followed the women's team. I am from ct and enjoyed his drilling Pat on several questions. Pat was classy and told the room of reporters that Uconn flat out beat us. Even though Seth might have said something touching some the wrong way, I wanted to give him some love. thx

Reaction Score
IMHO, most of the time, anyone who tunes in a UCONN WCBB game because they want to watch closely-fought, competitive basketball has chosen the wrong game. If they want to watch well-played basketball -- at least by one team -- they came to the right place. There is a difference in these two motivations.

Reaction Score
That along with a couple of french noblemen.
My favorite was a Spaniard, Don Alfonso Antonio Vicente Eduardo Angel Blas Francisco de Borja Cabeza de Vaca y Leighton, Carvajal y Are, Conde de la Mejorada, Marquis de Portago. AKA "Fon".

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom