Senior Brewer leaving UT | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Senior Brewer leaving UT

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I'm a little confused that you keep bringing up Harrison and don't mention Burdick at all. At least right now I don't expect Harrison to play many meaningful minutes. Burdick on the other hand is a talent which she has demonstrated with USA Basketball and will likely play a bunch. Tenn can easily play Burdick and Johnson together on the floor for significant minutes, especially when whoever plays SF will be at least 6 ft tall. With Johnson, Burdick, Baugh, and then playing any of Manning, Spani, or Stricklen some minutes at the 4 they will be fine. I would probably be inclined to start Massengale, Stricklen, Manning, Johnson, and Burdick. And then bring Simmons off the bench in a role that would suit her as well as Spani and Baugh. No need to go any deeper than that in meaningful games and situations.

Like I said in another posts, I was jsut having fun with that statement. They are no means pretenders.

If I felt the need to go to The Summitt to defend UConn, I would take as positive a stance as I could, so I understand your post. But I don't agree with some of it.

There is NO way Pat wanted to have Baugh and Johnson split the center position. If Baugh at best can give you 20-25 minutes that means 15-20 minutes for Johnson at the 5, leaving 5-10 minutes at the 4 for Johnson, her best position.

I think you have to start with the premise that Johnson will play 15-20 minutes at the 4 and maybe 5-10 at the 5. Harrison will have to be the true back-up at the 5. Knowing that post players take time to develope, it will be a tough season for Harrison.

If Bass is your backup point, I would be shocked. She barely has contributed over her first 3 years. She's too small and not quick enough and certainly not a good enough shooter.

As with last year, I'm not convinced that Simmons has matured enough to be the team player and leader she needs to be.

Tennessee will win plenty of games as usual. They still will out-talent most teams. But this is a tough way for this senior class to go out.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
I'm a little confused that you keep bringing up Harrison and don't mention Burdick at all. At least right now I don't expect Harrison to play many meaningful minutes. Burdick on the other hand is a talent which she has demonstrated with USA Basketball and will likely play a bunch. Tenn can easily play Burdick and Johnson together on the floor for significant minutes, especially when whoever plays SF will be at least 6 ft tall. With Johnson, Burdick, Baugh, and then playing any of Manning, Spani, or Stricklen some minutes at the 4 they will be fine. I would probably be inclined to start Massengale, Stricklen, Manning, Johnson, and Burdick. And then bring Simmons off the bench in a role that would suit her as well as Spani and Baugh. No need to go any deeper than that in meaningful games and situations.
Don't be confused. I was focusing on the 5 spot. You won't see Burdick playing there.
Stricklen will see the majority of her minutes at the 3. And you will NEVER see Simmons off the bench. It might be what you would do, but you couldn't handle her ego if you did.

Reaction Score
Don't be confused. I was focusing on the 5 spot. You won't see Burdick playing there.
Stricklen will see the majority of her minutes at the 3. And you will NEVER see Simmons off the bench. It might be what you would do, but you couldn't handle her ego if you did.
Well I am confused because I can't see any reason why Burdick won't be playing the 5 spot. If it's a choice between playing Burdick there or Harrison, Burdick is going to play. And Harrison is a stick anyway. It's not like she's even bringing much size advantage to the table if any. If a player is a natural 4 they can play the 5.

I don't expect Simmons to come off the bench either, but it would be a smart move on their part. I'll give the coaches the benefit of the doubt for now.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
Well I am confused because I can't see any reason why Burdick won't be playing the 5 spot. If it's a choice between playing Burdick there or Harrison, Burdick is going to play. And Harrison is a stick anyway. It's not like she's even bringing much size advantage to the table if any. If a player is a natural 4 they can play the 5.

I don't expect Simmons to come off the bench either, but it would be a smart move on their part. I'll give the coaches the benefit of the doubt for now.
For Burdick to play the 5, that means that Johnson AND Baugh would be on the bench. LOL about Simmons...I have to say you're cracking me up.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
This is a huge blow for TN and sets them back years. Baugh coming back from 2 injuries is not going to give TN 25 minutes a game. Yes Ive read she is 100% but that dosnt mean she can go 100%. We saw what happened with mulitiple injuries to Uconn players. Harrision a freshman will not be able to start. My guess is Glory Johnson will start in the post, and Baugh if able and Harrison will get a few minutes. TN does not have a post player theyve all transfered. Is someone transferring to TN? Thats possible.

I have to think there are some internal problems at TN. Alot of kids leaving. One answer could be Pat has someone waiting to announce she is coming to TN either a new recruit or a transfer. A transfer would have to sit out a year .

So your an AAU player looking at TN. Their coach will be leaving in a couple of years at the most and you see top players leaving over the past couple of years. What do you think? Whos next to leave? It dosnt look like a very good situation does it.

By the time TN replenishes their post to their standards it will be at least 2 more years which means this years class will be juniors most likely seniors before they replenish their post. I dont see TN winning the SEC this season or the next couple of seasons. Why there are alot of seniors who will be greaduating this year. It going to be quite a while before TN can come back to national recognition.

Dont forget either this is a team that has lived by rebound rebound rebound. Thats when TN had height. There is no more height. TN will be playing most of their minutes with a 6'2 post. Cain Brewer and Dupree no longer play for TN.

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
Im probably gonna catch some slack for this, but I am not a huge fan of Simmons!! She would drive me crazy with her shooting. When she was hot and shots were falling:), but she was jacking up shots at times that were a little out of control.

I never count UT out! Ever~~

This year is shaping up to be a good one and it will be interesting to see how the Vols do!! I am a big fan of Glory Johnson but she can be foul prone and Baugh will have to stay healthy.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
Im probably gonna catch some slack for this, but I am not a huge fan of Simmons!! She would drive me crazy with her shooting. When she was hot and shots were falling:), but she was jacking up shots at times that were a little out of control.

I never count UT out! Ever~~

This year is shaping up to be a good one and it will be interesting to see how the Vols do!! I am a big fan of Glory Johnson but she can be foul prone and Baugh will have to stay healthy.
I'll give you some slack and won't give you any flack.

Reaction Score
For Burdick to play the 5, that means that Johnson AND Baugh would be on the bench. LOL about Simmons...I have to say you're cracking me up.
Johnson and Baugh both being on the bench will likely happen at times either due to foul trouble, performance, or injury. Burdick at the five flanked by two 6 ft forwards is completely workable. Coaches generally don't play a center just to play a center. Tennesse just has to get 70-80 combined minutes from the three of them in whatever combination works.

Not sure what merits a LOL about Simmons. Unless you took my line about the benefit of the doubt far more seriously than I intended. Everyone saw Pat treat her like the second coming last year.

Reaction Score
DD, I see you have doubled the "cuteness" factor on your avatar. We should take in a game.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
Johnson and Baugh both being on the bench will likely happen at times either due to foul trouble, performance, or injury. Burdick at the five flanked by two 6 ft forwards is completely workable. Coaches generally don't play a center just to play a center. Tennesse just has to get 70-80 combined minutes from the three of them in whatever combination works.

Not sure what merits a LOL about Simmons. Unless you took my line about the benefit of the doubt far more seriously than I intended. Everyone saw Pat treat her like the second coming last year.

Burdick can be effective in the middle against some teams. But against most, she will be too small. You also can't just play a player at center. This isn't high school.

The LOL partially for your comment about the benefit of the doubt. But also for you thinking that having someone with the ego of Simmons come off the bench after starting most if not all of the games last year is smart.

Reaction Score
No. Putting a player whose natural instinct is to dominate the ball and try to score without conscience in the role of 6th man is smart. It's the best place to play a player like Simmons who for better or worse immediately impacts games. Maximizes her strengths and more importantly limits her considerable weaknesses. If that's not smart then Geno's just as dumb. And if her ego is as big as you believe I don't see how catering to it by starting her is any smarter. Not if the goal is to win games.
The LOL partially for your comment about the benefit of the doubt. But also for you thinking that having someone with the ego of Simmons come off the bench after starting most if not all of the games last year is smart.

Reaction Score
It's also not the pros. About half the teams that make the Final Four don't even have anybody that you need a true center to guard.
You also can't just play a player at center. This isn't high school.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
No. Putting a player whose natural instinct is to dominate the ball and try to score without conscience in the role of 6th man is smart. It's the best place to play a player like Simmons who for better or worse immediately impacts games. Maximizes her strengths and more importantly limits her considerable weaknesses. If that's not smart then Geno's just as dumb. And if her ego is as big as you believe I don't see how catering to it by starting her is any smarter. Not if the goal is to win games.
Maybe its smart. But since it will never happen, it's just opinion.

Reaction Score
TN didn't get any JUCO transfers over the summer, did they? After Cain & Avant, PHS had promised that she was going to bring in 1-2 players. (Though I udnerstand she may have been distracted by other things...)

Reaction Score
why is tennessee losing so many players first kelley cain now alyssia brewer dang there definitely going to need work on there frontcourt this season

tnvolfan65

Loyal LV Fan
Reaction Score
a few notes...yes tenn has had its share of players leave over the past few years but few of them are alike.

as of now the situation with brewer is unknown and i don't think it's fair for anyone involved to speculate. as has been mentioned, all that has been clarified is it was not for disciplinary reasons and not for academics.

cain left after dealing with a career full of injuries. she graduated last year and decided her body couldn't handle the rigors of divison 1 basketball anymore. same case as cait m, who had similar knee problems.

amber gray left following complications from her brain surgery. the tennessee medical staff would not clear her to play, and tennessee aired on the cautionary side as they had also done with a male basketball player. xavier, however, did clear her to play so she ended up their in her native state.

avant left because she decided she wanted to focus more on academics then being a division 1 basketball player. she wants to be a doctor and was also coming off multiple years of injuries.

faith dupree left because she came in behind cain, brewer, johnson, and baugh and decided to go to a school where she could be more of the focus. ironically, she would be a huge player for us now, but hindsight is 20/20. it had to be intimidating to come in with those 4 players in the class right ahead of you.

but in terms of our roster this year, yes it would be ideal to have johnson at the four with a post anchoring the paint behind her. she has proven the ability to reak havoc on the perimeter defensively, but if she's stuck guarding the posts, it limits her in that regard. however, if in a tight game, if it comes down to having johnson at the 5 or harrison, i'm sure it will be johnson regardless of who is a more natural center.

baugh will be closely monitored over the course of the season, but believe me. she has a greater will to win than most. she will play when they need her and rest when she needs to.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
tnvol - realistically how much do you think can be expected of Baugh? coming off her own host of ACL's and knee injuries, she reminds me in a way of Doty, and if someone told me Doty would be relied on to start and average 30+ minutes per game in big games, i'd be nervous.

tnvolfan65

Loyal LV Fan
Reaction Score
the thing with baugh though is that she's had a more than a full year of rest and recovery including last season where she was able to play sparingly...she's had time to rehab. she's had time to test it. and she's had time to shake the cobwebs off. maybe i'm naively optimistic about the reports, but if she's feeling close to 100%, there's no point in not playing her just because she has a history of injuries. unfortunately, they're part of the game, but she can't serve us any good if we don't play her.

if the reports are wrong, and she's not 100% then i think we've got bigger problems. as with last year, we had posts but we had a different one every other game to pair with johnson depending on how each one felt. so i'm just hoping and praying that baugh is back to her old self and can contribute night in and night out. if that's the case, then i expect her to average 20-30 minutes a game. i expect some games to be decided early, and allow the development of burdick and harrison.

but i have to only hope that in our big games, even if we only play 6 or 7 players that baugh is one of them and she's playing extended minutes. this girl is an all-american minus the injuries. (not worth anything but message board fodder, but it's true.)

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
tnvolfan Doty had approx a year from high school to college to rehab her knee too and look what happened again. Same thing was said about her being 100%.

Tn will lack height and a presence underneath. They lack depth overall. Opposing teams will kick the ball inside all night with the mismatch.

Reaction Score
i'm not trying to downplay this loss, because it is indeed a big loss, but it by no means takes us from contender to pretender.

brewer gave us quality depth at the 5 spot, but baugh and johnson were pretty much set to start in the post. her and baugh were both coming back from traumatic injuries so two semi-healthy posts would've been better than one, but reportedly baugh is looking and feeling better than she has since her freshman year. we'll hope and pray that continues.

harrison's development will be key and burdick will be expected to contribute at the 4 as well, but we still have plenty of talent.

massengale, bass
simmons, spani
stricklen, manning
johnson, burdick
baugh, harrison

this roster gives us a very solid 8 person rotation with simmons' ability to move to the point and johnson's ability to slide to the 5. bass and harrison both have a huge opportunity to earn lots of pt, and they have the full support of all the lady vol nation.

This is true, but the margin of error for Tennessee just got a little smaller. Where as the freshman Harrison could have been brought along more slowly, now she is going to be thrown into the fire immediately. Also Vicky is coming back from a major injury. If Tennessee gets 25 solid minutes from her each game that is good. Another injury to Vicky, and I hope it doesn't happen, could spell the end to Tennessee's title hopes this year.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
It's also not the pros. About half the teams that make the Final Four don't even have anybody that you need a true center to guard.
We are talking about a specific player in Burdick.

You think she would have been able to guard the senior Ogwumike? or any of the 6'5" centers that they bring in at Stanford? Or Adams at A&M? She would post Burdick up all night? Dolson? please...lol. And Peters? I don't think so. That is all the Final Four teams.

I'd bet anything that you won't see Burdick playing the 5 this year. And if she does, it will be against some of the weaker teams that UT plays.

Reaction Score
In a 12-14 month period five players (Grey, Dupree, Cain, Avant, & Brewer) transfer... That's a huge hit on a program!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom