semi-OT - Oriakhi and Caron Butler on the same team now... | The Boneyard

semi-OT - Oriakhi and Caron Butler on the same team now...

Status
Not open for further replies.

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
Boy, I would love to ask them in a dual interview about Calhoun... :)

Reaction Score
I kind of like him to make the team.
When I go to a Suns game dressed in Huskie garb, and scream for Caron. He will sit on the bench wondering about the UConn family he abandoned.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

Reaction Score
Funny how many haters there are on this board re: Oriakhi. The guy helped us win a title. I don't hear any praise for that. If you're going to hate him for leaving, you should also praise him for helping win a title.

Focusing on the hate itself, can you really blame him, any moreso than any other UConn player, who left the program at that same time, given UConn's situation? If you were in his shoes, knowing that the NBA is a possibility, and knowing that more exposure through postseason play heightens his chances for exposure nationally, wouldn't you entertain the same thoughts that he ultimately acted on?

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
Funny how many haters there are on this board re: Oriakhi. The guy helped us win a title. I don't hear any praise for that. If you're going to hate him for leaving, you should also praise him for helping win a title.

Focusing on the hate itself, can you really blame him, any moreso than any other UConn player, who left the program at that same time, given UConn's situation? If you were in his shoes, knowing that the NBA is a possibility, and knowing that more exposure through postseason play heightens his chances for exposure nationally, wouldn't you entertain the same thoughts that he ultimately acted on?

Nobody blames him for leaving.

Reaction Score

I'm not one of the haters, but his leaving isn't the issue. Roscoe left and has no ill will. It made sense for both parties for Oriakhi to leave with last year being a lost season for us.

It was how he left that rubbed people the wrong way - he gets a lot of residual hatred from his dad's tweets which isn't fair, but Alex had his own issues. Calling Calhoun a muumuu, throwing passive-aggressive jabs at UConn in the Missouri papers, not taking responsibility for his own junior year failures as a supposed team leader and captain. He undid a lot of the goodwill he had.

It is indeed important for us to remember that AO helped UConn win a title - but it goes both ways. It should also be important for AO to remember that UConn gave him a chance to win one too.

Reaction Score
I'm not one of the haters, but his leaving isn't the issue. Roscoe left and has no ill will. It made sense for both parties for Oriakhi to leave with last year being a lost season for us.

It was how he left that rubbed people the wrong way - he gets a lot of residual hatred from his dad's tweets which isn't fair, but Alex had his own issues. Calling Calhoun a muumuu, throwing passive-aggressive jabs at UConn in the Missouri papers, not taking responsibility for his own junior year failures as a supposed team leader and captain. He undid a lot of the goodwill he had.

It is indeed important for us to remember that AO helped UConn win a title - but it goes both ways. It should also be important for AO to remember that UConn gave him a chance to win one too.

Good points Gurleyman. I wouldn't hold too much weight on his comments - he is just a kid, and likely expressing frustration after getting heat from UConn's program and fans for his decision to leave. I don't condone his actions, and I agree that his comments weren't needed, but at the same time I realize that he's a bit immature. There's been plenty of other players who have done stupid things that have gotten themselves suspended or kicked off the team. Those players are arguably more likely harmful to the UConn brand than any comments AO has made.

Reaction Score

Two comments. Funny how many lovers on this board re: Oriakhi. No, if you are NBA worthy they will find you.

Reaction Score
Read the boards. All the negativity surrounding him is directly related to his choice to leave the program
Its not so much that he left. Its the wayhe choose to exit.
He put down his coach and teamates and that is a defacto put down of the entire UConn family.
This BS of "He helped us win a NC"
only serves to amplify the extent of his betrayal. He gained fame as a result of that success.
You prabably have heard of Benidict Arnold.
He was probably one of the biggest hero's of the Revolution until his betrayal. That fact that your were an intergral part of a great success actually magnifies the betrayal of that cause

Reaction Score
I think everyone would have supported him if he simply left. It made perfect sense - it was his last chance to play in the postseason, he could be eligible right away, and for us, since last year was a dead end, we were better off giving those minutes to Olander, Wolf, and Nolan to get ready for this year.

His junior year went off the rails - he got frustrated, we got frustrated with the team, and alas a lot of the championship luster was replaced by the bad feelings of a trainwreck year and the parting of ways became less than amicable. Had we had a more successful year (say, a 4 seed losing in the Sweet 16 where Alex was the same 10+8 guy he had been), everything might have played out differently.

Reaction Score
Read the boards. All the negativity surrounding him is directly related to his choice to leave the program
Nobody blames him for leaving, it's how he left. Do you see the same type of constant vitriol towards Roscoe? Nope.

Reaction Score
Two comments. Funny how many lovers on this board re: Oriakhi. No, if you are NBA worthy they will find you.

I'm not an Oriakhi lover, but I don't hate the kid either. I just find it beyond pathetic that adults "hate" a kid who was a bit bratty in the way he transferred from the college team they root for. If I actually give enough of a damn when I'm 50 to hate a kid my sons age for transferring I'm going to seriously evaluate where things went wrong for me.

Go ahead, Mau, let me have it ...

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score

I've read all of the Oriakhi debates; I find it hilarious that someone with three posts is telling me to read the boards. He trashed Calhoun and the program on the way out; if Roscoe, Lamb, or Drummond had done that, they would've gotten just as much negativity. But they didn't, and as a result, Oriakhi is the only one who has consistently had Husky fans against him.

Dribbles

Mrs. Dribbles
Reaction Score
Its not so much that he left. Its the wayhe choose to exit.
He put down his coach and teamates and that is a defacto put down of the entire UConn family.
This BS of "He helped us win a NC"
only serves to amplify the extent of his betrayal. He gained fame as a result of that success.
You prabably have heard of Benidict Arnold.
He was probably one of the biggest hero's of the Revolution until his betrayal. That fact that your were an intergral part of a great success actually magnifies the betrayal of that cause

I've not only heard of Benedict Arnold - I can spell it, too. And yes, AO did indeed help us win a NC. I have nover heard anyone else call that statement BS. Only you.

Reaction Score
Good points Gurleyman. I wouldn't hold too much weight on his comments - he is just a kid, and likely expressing frustration after getting heat from UConn's program and fans for his decision to leave. I don't condone his actions, and I agree that his comments weren't needed, but at the same time I realize that he's a bit immature. There's been plenty of other players who have done stupid things that have gotten themselves suspended or kicked off the team. Those players are arguably more likely harmful to the UConn brand than any comments AO has made.

How about holding weight on his effort then his junior year? How does that work for you? Jogging back on D often, is that Husky expectations. Pouting like a little girl because he was taken out because he couldn't get a rebound at 6'9" 245?? Is that okay.......oh I forgot it's okay since you "helped" win a NC the year before........:rolleyes:

Reaction Score
I'm not an Oriakhi lover, but I don't hate the kid either. I just find it beyond pathetic that adults "hate" a kid who was a bit bratty in the way he transferred from the college team they root for. If I actually give enough of a damn when I'm 50 to hate a kid my sons age for transferring I'm going to seriously evaluate where things went wrong for me.

Not sure who you're talking about but I can speak for myself being over 50, I don't hate the kid at all. I disliked everything he did his junior year and everything he stood for, or shall i say DIDN'T stand for as a captain of UConn basketball. Is that okay with you Crack? Is there someone out there you dislike, maybe mention it to co-workers on occasion or friends? If there isn't congrats.......

Reaction Score
Alex is in a tough position to make the Suns. They have Scola, Beasley, Marcus & Markieff Morris with guaranteed contracts in front of him at PF... at least I think they all have guaranteed contracts. Add in the return of Channing Frye. All are better offensively. Rebounding is a wash. Alex may have an advantage in shot blocking & strength.

Reaction Score

Oh give me a break, if you don't care then why do you post on every single AO thread? Whatever, good luck to him but he won't make it.

Reaction Score
Oh give me a break, if you don't care then why do you post on every single AO thread? Whatever, good luck to him but he won't make it.

I agree Robert but my bad for egging him and other on by always wondering how people really can forgive the Jr season exploits just because of the NC.......should have never happened but I shouldn't be so passionate about the disappointment he brought me!!

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
The only thing I disagree with is people calling these young men kids- AO was/is not a kid. AO acted very uncaptain like doing such things as walking back on d, failing to have the will to rebound, sulking on the bench, making faces at JC. Then he leaves and makes backhanded remarks about UCONN in the media. A kid? no Lacking maturity and common sense? yes
We don't see Scoe doing it.
While AO did help win a NC he also helped to tear a team apart
Thankful for the efforts with the NC, extremely disappointed in his junior year and glad he left.
I frankly don't care what he does but don't wish failure upon him.
In my opinion, Adrien is struggling to stay in the league and he is many times the player and person than that is AO so chances of AO making it are dim.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Baller29

Top Bottom