Saturday Mar 5 conference games (merged threads) | The Boneyard

Saturday Mar 5 conference games (merged threads)

Status
Not open for further replies.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Notre Dame vs Miami just starting now on ESPNU.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Pretty physical game. It appears Miami's defensive philosophy is "foul them every time - the refs can't call them all". Yet, it's two Miami players sitting on the sideline with some kind of in-game injury.

Midway through the first quarter it's tied at 12.

Reaction Score
I know there are a few of you that like Monica Cable. I believe she is a dirty player. Once again she under cut a player. She is going to cause someone a significant injury.

Reaction Score
I know there are a few of you that like Monica Cable. I believe she is a dirty player. Once again she under cut a player. She is going to cause someone a significant injury.
Madison Cable.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Brianna Turner is a heck of a player but she's got to hit her free throws. She gets fouled a lot.

I like Miami's Adrienne Motley. She is a really canny point guard with a great basketball IQ.

It's 39-38 ND at the half. Miami is staying with ND by hitting threes at a high rate, shooting something like 53% and making 8 shots from the arc. Pretty well played game with high FG percentages by both teams.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score

Never gets called for it. Coaches never complain about it. Players never confront her about it.

In fact, the only place I ever hear of it is here. Hmmm...

Reaction Score
I watched the ND game yesterday and they don't even look like the same team. Their players were acting really dramatic over getting two fouls. I hope MM says something about that and fixes it.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
I'd say of the eight 3s they hit, about half were somewhat open but 3 or 4 were definitely made with a hand in the face.

If they make 8 more 3s, yes that will be a problem for ND but I don't think it's sustainable.

ND played a lot of players in the 1st half, possibly with the final in mind. In the 2nd half, I think we'll see more "normal" rotations for ND if it stays close. Also, will be interesting to see if fatigue comes into play. Their key players have played 30+ minutes each of the last two days.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
I watched the ND game yesterday and they don't even look like the same team. Their players were acting really dramatic over getting two fouls. I hope MM says something about that and fixes it.

Beth Cunningham was in Marina's ear as soon as she sat down. Maddie was just being Maddie. She runs hot. Marina and Arike need to settle down a liitle. Both are pressing, though Marina has played fine.

Reaction Score
Cable just did same thing a couple minutes ago - or at least she acted pissed about having to come out with 2 PF. No biggie, but I thought she was overdoing it a little.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Miami still hitting threes and staying with ND, now only down by 1 with about 3 minutes left in the third quarter. ND's offense is really out of sync.

On edit: ND now up 5 but it's individual players making shots rather than a smoothly run offense as per usual with the Irish.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
LA has decided to take matters into her own hands.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Danger time for Miami, now down 8 early in the fourth quarter.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Never gets called for it. Coaches never complain about it. Players never confront her about it.

In fact, the only place I ever hear of it is here. Hmmm...
Seeing it here does not make it any less relevant. I have been complain about this since she was a Freshmen and you are correct I have seen or heard any coaches, referee, or other player confront her about this. Still doesn't make it right. She is better than than.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
ND playing smart at the end and Miami, not so much. I think part of Miami's problems is that this is the Hurricane's third game in three days and their legs are gone.

ND up 74-61 with 2 minutes left in the game.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Good game between Tulane and Memphis coming down to the wire - I am hoping it doesn't go to overtime.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Seeing it here does not make it any less relevant. I have been complain about this since she was a Freshmen and you are correct I have seen or heard any coaches, referee, or other player confront her about this. Still doesn't make it right. She is better than than.

If she were actually doing it, she would have been called out by now.

What you perceive as undercuts is just boxing out. I was taught in middle school "put your butt in their gut". Well, if you are looking at the ball and you stick your butt out and the person you are boxing out has already jumped, you are are going to undercut them. That's not dirty. That's just basketball.

It is so sad to see people who profess to appreciate fundamental basketball slander a player for making a fundamental basketball plays.

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score
I swear ND gets more calls than any team I can recall ever and it has been that way for a few years. Just a constant parade to the FT line.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
If she were actually doing it, she would have been called out by now.

What you perceive as undercuts is just boxing out.
I was taught in middle school "put your butt in their gut". Well, if you are looking at the ball and you stick your butt out and the person you are boxing out has already jumped, you are are going to undercut them. That's not dirty. That's just basketball.

It is so sad to see people who profess to appreciate fundamental basketball slander a player for making a fundamental basketball plays.

It is wrong, dirty, against the rules so you were taught incorrectly. Once a player leaves their feet simply for safety and sportsmanship you are required to give the player an opportunity to safely return.
The specific rule is.
Rebounding
c. Illegal contact. A foul shall be called when:
5. An airborne rebounder is undercut and displaced; taking away her landing space.

http://www.naia.org/fls/27900/1NAIA/resources/sid/Rule Books/BASKETR.pdf?DB_OEM_ID=27900

Reaction Score
I agree on the Cable observation.I have observed her attitude and sneaky playing tactics for years.I was coached fundamentals and technique and successfully coached them for 45 years .Of course some of you don't recall those elbows in other games.I think knowledgeable students of the game support this assessment.Yes,I played in the era of absolute Discipline,that included Corporal Punishment.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
It is wrong, dirty, against the rules so you were taught incorrectly. Once a player leaves their feet simply for safety and sportsmanship you are required to give the player an opportunity to safely return.
The specific rule is.
Rebounding
c. Illegal contact. A foul shall be called when:
5. An airborne rebounder is undercut and displaced; taking away her landing space.

http://www.naia.org/fls/27900/1NAIA/resources/sid/Rule Books/BASKETR.pdf?DB_OEM_ID=27900

It's not dirty if you don't know they are in the air. Obviously you don't go into them if you know they are in the air. But if you're watching the ball on the rim you don't always know if they are in the air or not. Sometimes they are and you foul them. But that doesn't mean you are a dirty player.

Last edited:

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I swear ND gets more calls than any team I can recall ever and it has been that way for a few years. Just a constant parade to the FT line.
Miami fouled a LOT. The calls were good.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
It's not dirty if you don't know they are in the air. Obviously you don't go into them if you know they are in the air. But if you're watching the ball on the rim you don't always know if they are in the air or not. Sometimes they are and you foul them. But that doesn't mean you are a dirty player.
You are what you repeatedly do.
Aristotle
You are dirty if you repeatedly undercut.
Madison is dirty.

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score
Great game between SYR & LV. I don't think Cuse can give ND as good a game as Louisville. Some more questionable no calls by the refs at the end of this one. I thought they were supposed to make fouling away from the ball before the inbound an intentional foul? Louisville mugging a poorer FT shooter away from the ball should have been called intentional. Anyway the kid hit the FTs!

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score
Q Hillsman telling someone to "F"off from the sidelines. The ref? How's that not a "T". If Geno did that I'd guarantee a technical.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom