San Antonio and Seattle toe-to-toe in Slide for Stewie Lottery | The Boneyard

San Antonio and Seattle toe-to-toe in Slide for Stewie Lottery

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
So, are WNBA teams really attempting to best position themselves for the chance to be first in the draft next year merely to choose a very particular hooper, even though there will be many choices?

Will the Sun be gunning for Stewie?

Here's what Mel Greenberg thinks in a very interesting article today. [LINK]

And what about little Mo, where will she end up?

Here is where the two of them ended up after their Rocky Mountain hike this summer.

Mo_Stewie_3.png

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Looks like the 4 bottom teams will be SA, Seattle, Atlanta and Connecticut. I hope she ends up in Seattle, or Atlanta.

Reaction Score
Am I being paranoid or what, UConn players did not seem to do well at the Connecticut Sun.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Hope she ends up in Atlanta or San Antonio.

Reaction Score
The article mentioned a player from GW Jonquel Jones as being a consolation after Breanna is picked. Never heard anything about her, what position does she play?

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
The article mentioned a player from GW Jonquel Jones as being a consolation after Breanna is picked. Never heard anything about her, what position does she play?

PF.....

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Seattle and San Antonio need her most. Both teams need a centerpiece. CT has Bone and Chiney. Atlanta has Angel.

San Antonio and Seattle are still searching. K-Mac and Jewell might end up being nice secondary options for their respective teams but each would probably function best as a secondary option to another star.

Reaction Score
San Antonio has never that I recall had a number one pick. The team desperately needs a player with both star talent and STAR POWER. To that end, perhaps I might wish Stewart were a little less unassuming. Still, I can think of no player who is even close to a consolation prize likely to be in next year's draft. Can anyone else? Anyway, San Antonio is the town of David Robinson and Tim Duncan. Stewart could fit the San Antonio vibe very well.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
What irony if Lloyd and Stewie end up being a dynamic duo.
Can certainly picture it.

Reaction Score
As Greenberg states in his story,the draft lottery has been changed for the 2016 draft, ( perhaps because of Breanna), with the combined records for last season and this season used to determine order of the draft. At this point the order , starting with the worst record, is Seattle, San Antonio, Conn. and L.A.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
The draft lottery has been changed for the 2016 draft, ( perhaps because of Breanna), with the combined records for last season and this season used to determine order of the draft. At this point the order , starting with the worst record, is Seattle, San Antonio, Conn. and L.A.

The lottery teams are still the 4 teams that miss that playoffs, though, so LA (2.5 game lead over Seattle) is not in the lottery as it stands.

Reaction Score
The lottery teams are still the 4 teams that miss that playoffs, though, so LA (2.5 game lead over Seattle) is not in the lottery as it stands.
I stand corrected, though the 2-season cumulative records will be used to determine the odds for getting the first pick.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Jonquel was a McDonald's All-American at powerhouse Riverdale Baptist. She surprised many folks by choosing Clemson. She then transferred to GW, much closer to home. She is a primary reason why GW has been a resurgent team--they beat Dayton 3x last year. She was the A-10 POY and A-10 DPOY.

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
I'd like to see Stewie with the Sun to see if all these rumors are true about AnneD

I like to see her pull a Tina Charles ( not to mention Peyton and Eli Manning) and refuse to play for the Sun. Breanna can afford to sit it out. She should demand to play for the Liberty. After all, she's a native New Yorker.

Reaction Score
Connecticut Officially Joins San Antonio in the Slide for Stewie Stakes
THURSDAY, SEPTEMBER 3, 2015

By Mel Greenberg

Connecticut’s wipeout Tuesday night at the hands of host Indiana Fever that earned the home team its 11th straight playoff appearance in the WNBA also officially put the Sun as the third team in the lottery, also known as the Breanna Stewart sweepstakes in honor of the University of Connecticut’s and nation’s top senior this winter who then becomes eligible for the WNBA draft in April.

But sometime to be determine in the fall will be likely known where the native of Syracuse will be heading once the lottery order for best percentages out of the ping pong ball permutations is decided.

So far the San Antonio Silver Stars and Connecticut are officially in the mix with the Atlanta Dream one loss or Washington Mystics win away from becoming the third participant.

The Seattle Storm is the fourth most likely team but technically the Los Angeles Sparks in the West are alive until they make the playoffs and in that direction the magic number for the Californians is three.

[MORE]

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Update from Carl. Seattle plays San Antonio the final game but I suspect the worst 2-year record won't come down to who loses that game.

carl adamec ‏@CarlAdamec 8h
Seattle (21-43) with worst 2-year record followed by San Antonio (23-41), Sun (26-39), and Atlanta (31-33). #Suck4Stewie

ThisJustIn

Queen of Queens
Reaction Score
I am stupid, please enlighten me, why do they hate UConn?
sarcasm alert...

Some folks have a pathological disdain from Anne Donovan, and believe she hates Connecticut players. She is why Kelly Faris is not an all-star and why Renee isn't a starting point guard.

For some, it's rooted in the dumping of Mike T. He did well at CT, but never quite got them to the promised land. There was an inelegance in the process of his firing - and emotions were stoked by the reporter in his pocket (as opposed to the reporter he called to dress down... but that's another story). Despite her WNBA championship and Olympic gold medal credentials, Donovan hasn't been able to do much at CT - she's had injuries and defections. Folks want her gone - which is fine. But there's not a lot of options out there (see the Dream's freefall when Angel got Marynell tossed).

As with most teams - talent + health = wins = happy fans.

Reaction Score
Thanks, I appreciate your explanation. I really did not know all the ramifications and background of the Sun. I am just rooting for the UConn players who went on to the pro. Really grateful to have them played at UConn.

Reaction Score
John Altavilla ‏@jaltavilla
Hey, @bre_stewart30 finds out where she will play next season in the @wnba on Sept. 24 when the Draft Lottery is held. #UConnwomen

As it stands now, the @seattlestorm have the greatest statistical shot of landing the first pick, followed by @SAStars and @ConnecticutSun

10:51 AM - 4 Sep 2015

Reaction Score
Hey, @bre_stewart30 finds out where she will play next season in the @wnba on Sept. 24 when the Draft Lottery is held. #UConnwomen

As it stands now, the @seattlestorm have the greatest statistical shot of landing the first pick, followed by @SAStars and @ConnecticutSun

10:51 AM - 4 Sep 2015
Go Seattle!

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
So, the 4 teams in the Stewie lottery are: Seattle, San Antonio, Connecticut and Atlanta. What remains to be decided is which of Seattle and San Antonio will have the highest odds. The Storm would clinch the top spot with a loss to Minnesota on Friday night. If the Storm win Friday night, it will come down to Sunday night's game against San Antonio.

Current 2-year records

Storm 21-45
San Antonio 23-44

Not clear what happens if the Storm and Stars are tied.

I guess Carl Adamec was not impressed with San Antonio's decision to sit Danielle Robinson and Kayla McBride last night:

carl adamec ‏@CarlAdamec 16h16 hours ago
At least the Connecticut Sun and Atlanta (even Seattle) didn't go into the tank like San Antonio did for the #Suck4Stewie lottery. Pathetic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom