Sam Cassell, Jr. Ranking | The Boneyard

Sam Cassell, Jr. Ranking

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I had read an article recently on rivals about how Cassell could improve from 3* status to 4* status. There was no real explanation about what the author, Eric Bossi, was looking for, so I decided to reach out to him and find out. Here is the e-mail response I got back from him. I thought I should share.

Good question and one that I'll be happy to take a stab at. Keep in mind that Cassell was a Rivals150 player coming out of high school and somebody whose development was on a steep incline. What I really like about him besides his crafty play and ability to play at the one or the two is that he will show up at UConn with loads of maturity and three years to play. Unlike most JUCO transfers who only have two years, Cassell will have three because he redshirted at Chipola. With that redshirt and him taking a prep year, he'll be the age of a typical senior during his sophomore year. Theoretically, that should allow him to be physically and mentally ready to make a contribution. To move to a four-star, I'd like to see a little more consistent shooting and I'm curious to see how sharply developed his point guard skills are. Reports I've gotten on him have been good and because of that he's somebody that I think we need to keep a close eye on for a potential move from three to four-star status.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
1) The number of stars after a JUCO player's name might as well be randomly generated.

2) The next time Eric Bossi sees Sam Cassell plays, it'll be on television and Sam will be in a UConn uniform.

3) Can you imagine if your life's work involved needing to 'keep a close eye' on a junior college basketball player for that three-to-four star move? I'd be on a bridge with a bottle of bourbon wondering where it all got away from me.

4) I'm giving Cassell six stars. As far as we're concerned, that is his final ranking.

Dogbreath2U

RIP, DB2U
Reaction Score
1) The number of stars after a JUCO player's name might as well be randomly generated.

2) The next time Eric Bossi sees Sam Cassell plays, it'll be on television and Sam will be in a UConn uniform.

3) Can you imagine if your life's work involved needing to 'keep a close eye' on a junior college basketball player for that three-to-four star move? I'd be on a bridge with a bottle of bourbon wondering where it all got away from me.

4) I'm giving Cassell six stars. As far as we're concerned, that is his final ranking.

We're going to have to keep a close eye on you.

Dogbreath2U

RIP, DB2U
Reaction Score
So we could be looking at two five stars and a four star for Ollie's first recruiting class with a combined ten years of eligibility between them. Perhaps some people overreacted a bit to some of the losses in recent months?

I wonder if Rakim's rating may not shoot up as well if he is healthy.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I wonder if Rakim's rating may not shoot up as well if he is healthy.

I just gave Rakim 11 stars.

What I am looking (closely) for from Rakim is that he grow up to be something more productive than a guy who makes a living awarding stars on the internet. If he can somehow find a profession that does not cause people to give the "WTF" face when it's described to them, I'm really thinking about giving him a 13th star.

Reaction Score
Judging from the highlights of Rakim in another kids highlight video Rakim looks sensational.

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
I just gave Rakim 11 stars.

What I am looking (closely) for from Rakim is that he grow up to be something more productive than a guy who makes a living awarding stars on the internet. If he can somehow find a profession that does not cause people to give the "WTF" face when it's described to them, I'm really thinking about giving him a 13th star.
I've replaced self worth at my place of office with an unhealthy pride in my like to post ratio. Where does that fall on your spectrum? I'm hoping for 2 stars here.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I've replaced self worth at my place of office with an unhealthy pride in my like to post ratio. Where does that fall on your spectrum? I'm hoping for 2 stars here.

We transcend the star system.

You have my permission to look down on the rest of these peons.

Reaction Score

In baseball parlance, you're four for four. And basketball ratings are, in general, more accurate than football rankings. Is this a great country or what?

Reaction Score
Scout writer Evan Daniels posted on the ville site that he personally thought Sam was not good enough to play for ville.

Reaction Score
Scout writer Evan Daniels posted on the ville site that he personally thought Sam was not good enough to play for ville.

seems like nonsense to me, Pitino has had Preston Knowles, who was a walk-on, and Russ Smith, who was a 150lb 2star guard, become starters and featured players in his system.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
seems like nonsense to me, Pitino has had Preston Knowles, who was a walk-on, and Russ Smith, who was a 150lb 2star guard, become starters and featured players in his system.

Exactly. They don't know Jack . Calhoun built a program on being better able to identify which 16-17 year old kids would be able to become very good by the time they were 20-21. I trust in Kevin to have a similar gift for finding talent. When a kid from Weber State goes #6 in the draft, it's clear that the ratings people and even a lot of college coaches, are just guessing.

Reaction Score
Sam is going to be like 30 when he gets here- it will be like having a upperclassman hit the floor on day one to some degree. That is pretty unusual and I have to think it will work out well for us. Through in RP and we will have a few men on the floor with the crop of 17 year old kids just out of HS.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I trust in Kevin to have a similar gift for finding talent. When a kid from Weber State goes #6 in the draft, it's clear that the ratings people and even a lot of college coaches, are just guessing.

I feel more confident in this "gift" if these guys were his initial, primary targets.

Reaction Score

Make you feel good about bashing what someone does for a living? If you dont like the star system or recruiting analysis then dont read it. Mentioning that the authors job is a result of his life that had "gotten away" from him and that if it was you, you would be a drunk contemplating suicide on a bridge. The author provides content that people not like your pretentious appreciate. Please dont provide your two cents on assuming someones life is a failure because they provide content that you dont like.

Reaction Score
UConn was on Sam Cassell, Jr. when he was first coming out of Notre Dame Prep, before he committed to Maryland. It wasn't someone they turned to at the last second.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
did you have the same sort of uneasiness on prospects when JC had to settle for his plan B, C, D's and so on?

No. But we were in the Big East and had an HoF coach then.

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
No. But we were in the Big East and had an HoF coach then.

Jury is still out on Brimah, but that kid was on nobody's radar and the early indications are that he's got a world of upside. Between the Napier quote about his defense being the biggest surprise through three weeks of practice, the Glen Miller "Diamond in the Rough" and the Goodluck "They've already got their center" comments there is reason to believe that Ollie has already pulled a rabbit out of his hat in one of the three recruits that make up his current portfolio.

You don't have to swim up stream all the time Waq. Let the homerism wash over you. 10 toes in and whatnot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom