OT: - Ryder Cup | Page 5 | The Boneyard

OT: Ryder Cup

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Homa's lie had to be ridiculously impossible to take an unplayable in that situation. I can't imagine Tiger or Mickelson doing that.

And yet the gamble paid off. Kinda thought Fitz would've fittingly closed it out there, but guess the moment too big for him.

Bomber36

Respect All, Fear None.
Reaction Score
Season 5 Nbc GIF by The Office

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Looks like Europe will probably hang on here, but just by the skin of their teeth.
By my definition, "skin of their teeth" would've been barely getting to 14.5 in the last match.

This wasn't that.

Glad Fleetwood was the one to close it out, but no idea what Fowler was thinking from start to finish of that hole.

Reaction Score
Couple thoughts:

Spieth was dreadful why he played as many matches as he did is unexplainable for Zach.

Wyndham may want to keep quiet about who he’s as good or better than if he ever is lucky enough to make the team again.

I like Rory but his whining about Joe Lacava can stop now. Very much a baby since the 18th yesterday.

I know Tommy can putt Ricky but when it means that much you have to make him make that.

They handed it to the Americans, nuff said!

Bomber36

Respect All, Fear None.
Reaction Score
Couple thoughts:

Spieth was dreadful why he played as many matches as he did is unexplainable for Zach.

Wyndham may want to keep quiet about who he’s as good or better than if he ever is lucky enough to make the team again.

I like Rory but his whining about Joe Lacava can stop now. Very much a baby since the 18th yesterday.

I know Tommy can putt Ricky but when it means that much you have to make him make that.

They handed it to the Americans, nuff said!
Very surprised at Rory’s behavior after that. He’s usually the most composed guy on the course. Maybe the pressure of the Cup and all that LIV stuff finally hit him. We all can only take so much.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Very surprised at Rory’s behavior after that. He’s usually the most composed guy on the course. Maybe the pressure of the Cup and all that LIV stuff finally hit him. We all can only take so much.
I think the PGA's capitulation to the LIV is still weighing heavily on him and pissing him off. Euro team had no LIV guys, not even co-captains. And LaCava was in Rory's space, which was definitely out of line. That said, the animosity shouldn't have extended off the course.

Reaction Score
Decent effort by the Americans today

But, I put a fair amount of the blame on Zach. Donald seemed more relaxed, open to the press and maybe it carried over to his guys.

For all the talk from Zach about this being the most unified team ever, seems like that may have been whistling past the graveyard.

Cantlay and Xander skipping the scouting trip on their own accord. It was also reported they were hanging out in separate part of the team room and the ‘why aren’t we getting paid’ angle…

Reaction Score

But, I put a fair amount of the blame on Zach. Donald seemed more relaxed, open to the press and maybe it carried over to his guys.

For all the talk from Zach about this being the most unified team ever, seems like that may have been whistling past the graveyard.

Cantlay and Xander skipping the scouting trip on their own accord. It was also reported they were hanging out in separate part of the team room and the ‘why aren’t we getting paid’ angle…
Cantley said all that reporting was made up. A complete lie, he never spoke about division or getting paid.

Reaction Score
Cantley said all that reporting was made up. A complete lie, he never spoke about division or getting paid.

A complete lie or the truth? We don’t know but once again the US guys just don’t act the same. They don’t walk off tees in four balls and alternate shot shoulder to shoulder all that much. They enjoy each other a whole lot more it’s easy to see, win or lose!

Reaction Score
if this is sourced from yesterday's press conference, he never replied directly to the question of getting paid being brough up. It was a yes or no question. which he sidestepped. its ok to be brought up. it has in the past as long as it doesn't dominate or contaminate the locker-room.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
if this is sourced from yesterday's press conference, he never replied directly to the question of getting paid being brough up. It was a yes or no question. which he sidestepped. its ok to be brought up. it has in the past as long as it doesn't dominate or contaminate the locker-room.
I would've believed Cantlay more if the entire team went hatless today.

They didn't.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score

fwiw, Spieth basically said the five week layoff was a major issue. The Euros still had tourneys to play, like the BMW Championship three weeks ago.

Reaction Score
Zach was a horrible Captain, from his picks to preparing his team for the course, to the team culture that was completely lacking.

As for Rory, I think it's laughable that he gets so serious for this Ryder Cup, that many greats including Tiger ignore from a career perspective. The man has ZERO Majors the past decade in his prime 25 to 35 years. Many of them in collapse style. Sorry, but that defines him more as a player than this event.

Reaction Score
fwiw, Spieth basically said the five week layoff was a major issue. The Euros still had tourneys to play, like the BMW Championship three weeks ago.
He has to say something…then why didn’t they play the Napa tournament 2 weeks ago?

Doctor Hoop

Prescribing Hardwood Excellence
Reaction Score
I heard some interviews after, with a number of US guys saying the team was very close. However, that isn't everything on the course. The Euros hit more fairways, hit their approach shots closer, chipped in more often, and made more putts. The foursomes going 7-1 was atrocious. Foursomes is all about finding fairways, the next guy hitting a good approach, and giving your team a chance for birdie. If you're having to one-putt greens to make par you're behind the eight ball.

Johnson's worst decision was leading off with Scheffler and Burns in foursomes. They may be friends, but both can be wild off the tee, and Burns was a rookie. You need at least one guy who will hit a narrow fairway more often than not.

That said, with three remaining matches on Sunday the US had a chance. Fowler-Fleetwood were even, Clark had evened up with McIntyre, and Spieth was leading Lowry all with just a few holes left. Then all three went south simultaneously.

Reaction Score
He said after his match today in his interview right on the course that it was all lies. He did not mince words or be shifty. He called the report complete trash.

Reaction Score

He said this on air after his singles victory.

Reaction Score
Cantlay’s wedding is the Monday after the Ryder Cup. A bit of an odd date for someone with more money and time than most

Reaction Score
Zach was a horrible Captain, from his picks to preparing his team for the course, to the team culture that was completely lacking.

As for Rory, I think it's laughable that he gets so serious for this Ryder Cup, that many greats including Tiger ignore from a career perspective. The man has ZERO Majors the past decade in his prime 25 to 35 years. Many of them in collapse style. Sorry, but that defines him more as a player than this event.
Greats with lousy Ryder Cup records like Tiger and Phil would ignore this from a career perspective, those with great records like Arnie and Jack gladly hold it up as part of their legacy.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom