OT: - Ryder Cup | Page 6 | The Boneyard

OT: Ryder Cup

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
And now it's on to 2025 and Bethpage.

There are always lessons to be learned moving forward and failures which can be discarded.

Americans can set up the course however they like. The Captain's picks need to reflect the course being played. This was on of Johnson's biggest failures. He used his captain's picks and used them on some of the worst drivers of the ball off the tee. He did so knowing the course would penalize poor tee shots and that is a killer in Foursomes. This is where someone like Lucas Glover would have paid dividends. Just get the ball in play off the tee.
Same for picking partners. Please, for the love all good and holy, kill the bro club stuff. If Scheffler is truly the #1 player in the world he should be able to play with someone other than Sam Burns. They have plenty of time to play fun rounds together on their time. Same for Spieth and Thomas. I have no problem having them go out on Friday, but if they're sputtering, no need to put them back out Friday afternoon and Saturday morning.
It was good to see Homa play well and play with passion. He's a helluva player but has struggled mightily in majors. Seeing him play well in a high visibility, high pressure environment is good going forward. Harman played well too and lived up to his reputation of being a persistent pesk that doesn't go away. He may only have one more appearance left in him, so it's less critical how he played.
Cantlay is a turd and curmudgeon, but he plays well enough and he's going to be around.
Koepka killed any good will with his comments about Rahm. Just play your damn game. If he doesn't play again, I'm fine with it. I was perfectly fine with him playing this year, but he didn't earn any good willing going forward.
Fowler reverted to his previous six years and seemed to lose all the momentum he had during 2023.
If another captain ever tries to tell a player/caddy what club to hit off a tee, I'm okay if the player punches the captain. That will go down as one of Zach's most public and obvious gaffs.
JT's biggest accomplishment was not looking out of place in the US lineup. I'm not sure if that's a compliment.
Spieth, Schauffele and Morikawa were duds.
Clark is intriguing. He held his own, 1-1-1, and he is somewhere in his prime, so we can expect more of him, but ideally he's bench strength and not top of lineup strength.

Hopefully there are a couple of young up and comers in the US ranks who can get ready by 2027 when they go to Ireland. Adare Manor is a biggish resort course away from the coastline of Ireland.

2-4.jpg

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
And now it's on to 2025 and Bethpage.

There are always lessons to be learned moving forward and failures which can be discarded.

Americans can set up the course however they like. The Captain's picks need to reflect the course being played. This was on of Johnson's biggest failures. He used his captain's picks and used them on some of the worst drivers of the ball off the tee. He did so knowing the course would penalize poor tee shots and that is a killer in Foursomes. This is where someone like Lucas Glover would have paid dividends. Just get the ball in play off the tee.
I think the US should win handily at Bethpage. That said, I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if it resembles nothing like the US Open course of 2009 while looking more like Augusta without the magnolias.

There will be drama over the next couple of years. I think the US will happily take back any and all LIV defectors who can help them. They took in Koepka this year. I imagine DJ & Bryson would be welcomed back if they're good enough to make the team. I don't know if that'll be the same case for the Euros, at least not if Rory and his allies have influence. I imagine before LIV that Sergio was atop the short list to captain the 2025 team. Now I'm not sure if he'll ever be captain if Rory has any say. Same goes for Westwood, Stenson, and Poulter (the latter being especially sad to me as I'd have loved to see him run that show).

That said, the Euros should have one of their best teams ever to play in the US. Most will be at their peak or coming near it. Rose will be 45, same age as Luke Donald is now. Rose is still competitive on tour, but at a point in his career where he'll likely be in decline. Other than Rose, everyone on the 2023 team will still be under 40 in 2025, although Shane Lowry will probably age poorly, lol.

On the US side, yeah, politics and "buddy system" crap led to questionable selections. Scheffler lobbied for Burns and Koepka. Fowler and Speith lobbied for Thomas. The saddest story we'll hear going forward is how Keegan Bradley learned he was left off the team - Netflix was in Bradley's home when he took the call from Zach. Bradley only let Netflix in to film because he figured if they were filming, that must mean it's to get a happy reaction.

Speaking of Netflix, apparently Xander was almost booted from the team for protesting about Netflix filming in the locker room. And his dad basically confirmed the money thing being an issue for Xander and Cantlay (although they'll use the "give the money to a charity of our choice" as their out). - nb: I see Chin linked that while I was typing this.

I'll just sum up my feelings with this: Ryder Cup 2023: Why Europe's humility, team culture continually overcomes United States' perceived talent edge
The part where Rory tells the US to celebrate following a US win is kind of amazing, in a sad way.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr
Top Bottom