Rodney Purvis | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Rodney Purvis

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
There is NO CHANCE PURVIS, HAMILTON or BRIMAH are going anywhere before their sention Year is Done. Hamilton, possibly after Junior year but all 3 of them have a lot to learn, improve on, and Hamilton and Brimah in particular need to get much much stronger.

I'm not sure Purvis will ever be a good or even satisfactory outside shooter. From what I have seen, the NBA is far far off in the horizon if ever. Nothing special from what I saw at NC State and at UCONN so far. Could be a real good athlet ebut casnt create his own shot, low BBIQ, and can shoot at all. Quite frankly, I expected a lot more from him after he sat out last year. Should have been working on his outside shot all day and all night!

Inyatkin

Stairway to Seven
Reaction Score
There is NO CHANCE PURVIS, HAMILTON or BRIMAH are going anywhere before their sention Year is Done. Hamilton, possibly after Junior year but all 3 of them have a lot to learn, improve on, and Hamilton and Brimah in particular need to get much much stronger.

I'm not sure Purvis will ever be a good or even satisfactory outside shooter. From what I have seen, the NBA is far far off in the horizon if ever. Nothing special from what I saw at NC State and at UCONN so far. Could be a real good athlet ebut casnt create his own shot, low BBIQ, and can shoot at all. Quite frankly, I expected a lot more from him after he sat out last year. Should have been working on his outside shot all day and all night!
Well, when Fasteddy goes bold and underlined, you know it's serious.

Reaction Score
Columbia did hold Kentucky to 56 points and only lost by 10 so I'm not sure we should be considering them a cupcake opponent where we can start the 9th man off the bench...
"They are going to double-team me," Boatright said. "If I get in the lane and I kick it out, if you have a wide open shot -- take it."

We can't start Calhoun vs Columbia & CCSU to build some confidence....really? Purvis can be 6th man for a week or two, maybe that's a better role for him. Not ready to relegate Calhoun to "9th man" and give up on him as our shooting guard....he may be the only one on the roster.

Reaction Score

I don't understand, sir.

So, so, so....is everything (his twitter storm) a lie? :mad::oops:

Reaction Score

I will be surprised if Hamilton is here beyond next year. I still think Brimah will enter the draft after his junior season. As for Rodney, he will continue to improve although he will never be a great shooter. I don't see NBA in his future but he will end up having a decent career here at UConn.

Reaction Score
I don't know what Purvis is but if he can't start hitting wide open shots he can sit on the bench next to Cassell. I would start Calhoun against Columbia and play him 25mins...can't be any worse.

I would try Lenehan.

Reaction Score

Whoops, I almost started to read this.

Reaction Score
Hamilton needs to improve his handle and ability to hit shots
Purvis need to make better decisions. I don't see him improving his shot in one season.
Omar needs to get more run on the court. Get the confidence going
Right now I am happy with two guys and that is boat and facey everyone else needs to improve

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Columbia did hold Kentucky to 56 points and only lost by 10 so I'm not sure we should be considering them a cupcake opponent where we can start the 9th man off the bench...

Never said that they were a cupcake, nor that he should be starting. I simply think it would be great for him to get more minutes against them.

Reaction Score
Hamilton will be a beast come March, he's only 8 games into his career. Those Duke frosh didn't shoot the lights out last night and last I checked, the UK frosh aren't either. Right now Purvis is simply making terrible decisions. He's obviously not an outside shooter yet he never passes one up. Hardly passes at all. We need to get Hamilton more open looks from deep, and maybe pass a little less. He's a great passer but unless it's for an uncontested dunk to Brimah, the recipient of that pass isn't doing much. Rodney needs to penetrate and take the shot when it's there or kick to the open man. He can get into the late fairly easily but anything more than that is a wasted possession.

Reaction Score
Hamilton will be a beast come March, he's only 8 games into his career. Those Duke frosh didn't shoot the lights out last night and last I checked, the UK frosh aren't either. Right now Purvis is simply making terrible decisions. He's obviously not an outside shooter yet he never passes one up. Hardly passes at all. We need to get Hamilton more open looks from deep, and maybe pass a little less. He's a great passer but unless it's for an uncontested dunk to Brimah, the recipient of that pass isn't doing much. Rodney needs to penetrate and take the shot when it's there or kick to the open man. He can get into the late fairly easily but anything more than that is a wasted possession.

Actually Rodney up faked and took it to the hole probably the first 2 -3 times he had open looks. He'll be fine and so will Dham, give it time.

Reaction Score
Is it just me or does it seem Purvis just does not have that high an basketball IQ? You would figure that sitting out a year and playing with Boat and Bazz in practice we would have a polished player on our hands. So far he looks lost most of the time when he is on the floor- athletic absolutely- but not much of a killer instinct and certainly does not make the right choices when he is out there. I am hoping for an "awakening" and hoping it comes soon.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
Remember how DeAndre looked after his ankle injury last year? Wouldn't be surprised if it takes a few weeks before Rodney gets right.

Reaction Score
I think the problem with Purv is hes simply thinking way too much out there. He seems very caught in between on everything he does. Hes never commited to any of his decisions. Should i drive? should shoot? should i pass? He needs to step back and take what the defense gives him and believe in it. whether its a jumper or a drive. He looked terrific on a couple drives he had in this game and really gave a tiny glimpse of what Ollie was so excited about. I think he`ll be ok as long as he stops being so indecisive.

Reaction Score
Not sure if he has a high bb IQ or not, but regardless he is not playing well in any facet of the game. I really like his spirit but at this point he basically looks lost out there. His shooting form is way off (hand almost on top of ball with little arc or rotation) his handle only seems strong when going straight ahead and he does not pass well and has had some huge turnovers as well as just plain bad shots. I really hope he turns it around because we really need him. Compare him to DHam who know where to go, when to shoot, when to drive and has a deft passing touch and it's not even close as to who is the Ferrari. Hopefully he'll hang in and put extra time in.............

Reaction Score
Not sure if he has a high bb IQ or not, but regardless he is not playing well in any facet of the game. I really like his spirit but at this point he basically looks lost out there. His shooting form is way off (hand almost on top of ball with little arc or rotation) his handle only seems strong when going straight ahead and he does not pass well and has had some huge turnovers as well as just plain bad shots. I really hope he turns it around because we really need him. Compare him to DHam who know where to go, when to shoot, when to drive and has a deft passing touch and it's not even close as to who is the Ferrari. Hopefully he'll hang in and put extra time in...

Funny thing is DHam's TO rate is also very high yet he gets a pass. Obviously I love Daniels game but he and Boat had more TO's than Rodney last night. I mean truth be told Rodney is struggling but so are many others!

Reaction Score
I agree regarding the turnovers. DHAM was making some freshman mistakes driving to the basket a little loosely but the two right now are not even on the same planet in terms of overall contributions and ability. Part of reason that Purvis has few turnovers is that he really doesn't look like he knows what to do in offense in terms of creating and dishing. Most his turnovers so far have been bad charges. Lets hope it is just rust that is taking awhile to come off.........

Reaction Score
I just think many who feel Rodney is "lost" will be enjoying some morsels of crow after on this year. I could be wrong and I do not expect a "Ferrari" but I do expect more of an impact overall from him. Just needs to find his way........1 year off, a bunch of injuries it has't been that easy!

H

huskymagic

Is it just me or does it seem Purvis just does not have that high an basketball IQ? You would figure that sitting out a year and playing with Boat and Bazz in practice we would have a polished player on our hands. So far he looks lost most of the time when he is on the floor- athletic absolutely- but not much of a killer instinct and certainly does not make the right choices when he is out there. I am hoping for an "awakening" and hoping it comes soon.

Scote that athleticism of Rodney looks very tame compared to freshman Purvis at NC State where he looked like an "elevator man". Too many excuses for Purvis. He just isn't that good, and can only hope to be as good as Jerome Dyson was by the time his UCONN career is over.

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score
Any residual impact from his off-season surgery?

Reaction Score
Purvis is not a smart player. He forces things and does nothing to help his teammates. but...he would be a great sixth man or guy to come off the bench to be an offensive spark and be the scoring option when Boatright/Hamilton are on the bench. On a good team this guy should not be playing more than 20 minutes. But since Omar and Sam are basically worthless at this point, Purvis has to play a lot and is getting exposed on both ends

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom