Rodney Purvis | The Boneyard

Rodney Purvis

Status
Not open for further replies.

UconnU

Demolish the XL center.
Reaction Score
He looks soo nervous/anxious out there he needs to calm down, make better decisions.

Reaction Score
Lacks in game intangibles that need to be developed... Gonna take a while

Reaction Score
Nerves?

The guy has played basketball his whole life including an entire year of college ball. And has been practicing with this team for a year and a half.

Rust? Nerves? Seems like excuses. The warning signs for what we were seeing was on display his freshmen year at State.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Nerves?

The guy has played basketball his whole life including an entire year of college ball. And has been practicing with this team for a year and a half.

Rust? Nerves? Seems like excuses. The warning signs for what we were seeing was on display his freshmen year at State.

So no players should ever be nervous no matter what the circumstances are? Right. Remind me to skip your sports psychology seminar.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
I don't know what Purvis is but if he can't start hitting wide open shots he can sit on the bench next to Cassell. I would start Calhoun against Columbia and play him 25mins...can't be any worse.

Columbia would actually be a great game to give Calhoun as much burn as he can handle. See if he can get his confidence up against a team with arguably weaker perimeter defense.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
I hope they both come around. Why are you willing to ignore tonight and all last year for Calhoun but not a handful of bad games for Purvis?

Reaction Score
Purvis just needs more time, still think he can be pretty good.

Reaction Score
I hope they both come around. Why are you willing to ignore tonight and all last year for Calhoun but not a handful of bad games for Purvis?
Purvis is not a shooter, need to give good minutes to Calhoun to see if he can regain his shot. Purvis will get minutes regardless and I'm sure he'll contribute, just don't want Calhoun buried on the bench without a real chance. Maybe if Calhoun starts a few games against lesser competition he'll find it....if not we got problems.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
He could be an effective slasher for us and that is his strength. Not sure he really has an outside shot.

Reaction Score
Purvis is just a few games into his first UConn season after about a year and a half away from real game action. With that said I'm concerned by what I'm seeing. He seems to be struggling with the speed of the game and processing what's going on around him. He's slow in making decisions when he receives the ball and sometimes just seems to aimlessly pass the ball back from where it came from. I hope I'm wrong, but I'm beginning to think he's one of those really good athletes that lacks BBIQ. His game reminds me a little of Jerome Dyson who was a great athlete, but had a myopic approach to his game.

Hopefully KO can coach him up, but this team is in desperate need of play-makers in the backcourt and I'm sure we all thought Purvis was going to be RB's Robin. Until someone other than Boatright can knock down shots and set up teammates, opponents are going to throw multiple defenders to stop Ryan from scoring.

Clearly not the time to panic, but there are certainly some warning signs that make me wonder if the NC State coaching staff had good reason for reducing his PT. Since this team needs RP to step up and play well, I hope he proves me wrong. I'd gladly eat my pound of Crow.

Reaction Score
He will improve. But all those worried he would be a 1 and done can put those fears to rest.

Reaction Score
The thing I don't get with Rodney is that - unless I'm mistaken - the only significant injury he had was the torn labrum, but he doesn't look anywhere near as bouncy as he did at NC State. There's that youtube clip of that put back dunk he had as a freshman where his head was level with the rim. Now he looks pretty earthbound.

Reaction Score

Who doesn't! We are a team of 3 guys, the rest seems to have physical, psy or undefined problems. Rodney was suppose to be the guy replacing you-know-who. RB needs help otherwise he will fizzle out long before season's end. Just one guy who can knock the 3 down and thereby command full awareness/attention by defenders would make all the diff in the world. 39/40 minutes and only 1 rebound? I doubt that we could revenged Yale if we were to meet them tomorrow. We don't have what we think we have- no ferr, porch, lambi, maybe a 65 camarro.

Reaction Score
The thing I don't get with Rodney is that - unless I'm mistaken - the only significant injury he had was the torn labrum, but he doesn't look anywhere near as bouncy as he did at NC State. There's that youtube clip of that put back dunk he had as a freshman where his head was level with the rim. Now he looks pretty earthbound.
I agree - I was hoping he'd throw down a huge dunk on that steal and quick outlet pass from Boat. We got a layup.

Horatio

I played high school football
Reaction Score
It's the ankle . It's still not ready.

Reaction Score
As in terms of bball skill Purvis has a lot to go. He's only effective in transition and looks lost in half court sets either making plays for himself or others. I'm really disappointed in his game and one of the main reasons why we are struggling.

Reaction Score
We are lacking a second PG. Tsam is fine for limited minutes but we are missing that second ball handler who can score as we had last year. For those who thought it was a simple transition from the 2 to the 1 we are seeing how more often it doesn't work. Purvis doesn't have the handle and Sam Jr. isn't quick enough. KO has to find a way to get Boat more rest but it isn't easy with as much as this team relies on him to score.

Marat

The Champ Is Here.
Reaction Score
Purvis plays the shooting guard position but that is not his strength. From reading articles, etc it seems like he spends alot of time in the gym. But, he really needs to focus on improving his outside shooting. I saw from the warm-up drills last night he was front rimming 3 pointers, while Boat was nailing them and even DHam had a nice arc. So I could tell it wasn't going to be his night for outside shooting - and that proved to be true as he was hesitant when open.

He's good on fast breaks and in the open court, but it would help to be able to hit some outside shots. I think he can really become good at the mid range jumpshots, though (even if he can't be a deep threat).

mets1090

Probably returning some video tapes...
Reaction Score
Purvis is a slasher/scorer that doesn't seem to have a great handle. Calhoun is an outside scorer that can't seem to make a jump shot. I think if you looked at either of these guys with fresh eyes you wouldn't think any of them are going to contribute any time soon.

Having said that, there are no other options in the back court besides Boat so you have to play them until one starts to improve.

ConnZag3

NCAA Hoops Connoisseur
Reaction Score
Columbia would actually be a great game to give Calhoun as much burn as he can handle. See if he can get his confidence up against a team with arguably weaker perimeter defense.

Columbia did hold Kentucky to 56 points and only lost by 10 so I'm not sure we should be considering them a cupcake opponent where we can start the 9th man off the bench...

Marat

The Champ Is Here.
Reaction Score
Columbia did hold Kentucky to 56 points and only lost by 10 so I'm not sure we should be considering them a cupcake opponent where we can start the 9th man off the bench...

Yes, after already losing to one Ivy League team, most of us know not to expect a walk in the park.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jjblox

Top Bottom