Requiem for the Big East | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Requiem for the Big East

Status
Not open for further replies.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
gtown president was right... all of those schools nearly tripled their television revenue.
Yeah, right before GTown led the Catholic 7 to take Fox's paycheck.

wankingmotion dot gif

(at GTown's president, not you)

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
I knew this film was going to be a pile of crap, but I was astonished at the sheer magnitude of the crappiness.

Reaction Score
BTW, Syracuse won a bowl game during its first season in the ACC. (And the entire conference gets to share in the revenue).

Syracuse football sucks ma dude. Please stop

sammydabiz

I sport NewBalance sneakers to avoid a narrow path
Reaction Score
This doc was an abortion, I'll never get those 2 hours back. Wow

Reaction Score
the 03 championship was only acknowledged because it happened at the exact same time as the defections from BC et al. you guys are really dull sometimes.

dude, they had no reason to mention the Cuse in '03……NONE…..it was good for the person who didn't know the players and the way it came about but for those of us who were already aware, it sucked!

Imagine a story about the BE without mentioning the school/program they weren't that sure about from the Yankee Conference, cellar dwellers from the start, and how they became the flag holders for GTown and the Cuse for basically 20 years and then some?

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
BS to the idea that CT wasn't revelvant to the early BE years.

Three seasons after Nova's win, a year before Seton Hall's "hoosiers" moment. UConn wins the NIT. Two seasons after that the Elite 8, and then its on. Less than a decade later we are rolling over the conference.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
BS to the idea that CT wasn't revelvant to the early BE years.

Three seasons after Nova's win, a year before Seton Hall's "hoosiers" moment. UConn wins the NIT. Two seasons after that the Elite 8, and then its on. Less than a decade later we are rolling over the conference.

During Pat Ewing's 1st year (the Freddie Brown game), UConn gave G'town it's worst loss, by 9 points at G'town. That team had talent, but horrible coaching. They ended up losing 7 out of their last 8. Any competent AD would have canned the coach. Instead, we gave him 4 more years. And when he finally brought in a good recruit, he didn't play him. During the timeframe of this doc, we were a joke.

Reaction Score
dude, they had no reason to mention the Cuse in '03……NONE…..it was good for the person who didn't know the players and the way it came about but for those of us who were already aware, it sucked!

Imagine a story about the BE without mentioning the school/program they weren't that sure about from the Yankee Conference, cellar dwellers from the start, and how they became the flag holders for GTown and the Cuse for basically 20 years and then some?

I say this a lot but UConn was not a cellar dweller for the first few years. They were .500 and above. In an expanded tournament, they were surely in. They beat Georgetown, Syracuse, etc., in those years. They had Providence's number, winning against them again and again.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I say this a lot but UConn was not a cellar dweller for the first few years. They were .500 and above. In an expanded tournament, they were surely in. They beat Georgetown, Syracuse, etc., in those years. They had Providence's number, winning against them again and again.

What year would they have been in an expanded tournament? They went 1-3 in the NIT those years..

Reaction Score
almost the entire story was about the first 6 years of the conference and the personalities of the original coaches. the story pretty much stops at the first expansion with miami and pitt until it comes back again in 03 when conference realignment changed the face of intercollegiate athletics.

i know you think i'm crapping on uconn... nope. not at all. a great program that existed after the story of this documentary really ends. uconn had little to do with the initial success of the league. it's just a fact. it also had little to do with the collapse of the league. and them being a great BB program did NOTHING to keep the conference together.

i know you don't like cuse or respect gtown, but they really got the conference going. calhoun himself basically said that his success came from selling the conference that was built before uconn got going as a program.

is it that you don't want to accept that the big east helped lift the program and not just uconn itself?

It's not like someone forced them to make the movie the way they made it.

Sure, doing a story that only focuses on the first 10 years or so is one particular story you can do. You could also do a proper history of the league. And they chose not to.

Reaction Score
What year would they have been in an expanded tournament? They went 1-3 in the NIT those years..

I don't put much stock at all in NIT results. Frequently the disappointment of no NCAA bid results in not wanting to be there at all.

In 1980-81, UConn went 8-6 in the conference and had a 20-8 record before selection Sunday.

They beat Syracuse twice, St. John's, Georgetown, etc., loss to Georgetown by 2 on the road, and had an RPI in the 40s.

Hard to see winning conference records for BE teams who didn't make it over the years, but back then the tournament was smaller. So it's understandable that UConn didn't get a bid. Still, those are 4 big victories right there. And that UConn team was pretty talented, so they passed the eye test too.

Corny Thompson
Chuck Alesinas
Mike McKay
Vern Giscombe
Karl Hobbs
Stormin' Norman Bailey
Bruce Kuczenski

3 big men, 2 of whom could score at will, 2 SGs who could shoot the lights out, another athletic wing, and a solid if uninspiring PG

Reaction Score
I don't put much stock at all in NIT results. Frequently the disappointment of no NCAA bid results in not wanting to be there at all.

In 1980-81, UConn went 8-6 in the conference and had a 20-8 record before selection Sunday.

They beat Syracuse twice, St. John's, Georgetown, etc., loss to Georgetown by 2 on the road, and had an RPI in the 40s.

Hard to see winning conference records for BE teams who didn't make it over the years, but back then the tournament was smaller. So it's understandable that UConn didn't get a bid. Still, those are 4 big victories right there. And that UConn team was pretty talented, so they passed the eye test too.

Corny Thompson
Chuck Alesinas
Mike McKay
Vern Giscombe
Karl Hobbs
Stormin' Norman Bailey
Bruce Kuczenski

3 big men, 2 of whom could score at will, 2 SGs who could shoot the lights out, another athletic wing, and a solid if uninspiring PG

The problem with that team was that Dee Rowe was determined to make Corny Thompson an All American and screwed up the chemistry in his attempts to make it happen. That was a pretty good team that could have been much better.

Reaction Score
Totally glossed over Shalala leading the charge during the 2003 Raid, BC lying the during the entire process, Notre Dame's inclusion, inviting a Texas based school (TCU) to join the league, and Villanova's half-assed attempt to be a football member. That was a big straw that broke the BE's back with that silly proposal.

If I never knew the Big East I would've thought it was just a 2 team league with the digital BJ it gave to Syracuse and Georgetown.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
The problem with that team was that Dee Rowe was determined to make Corny Thompson an All American and screwed up the chemistry in his attempts to make it happen. That was a pretty good team that could have been much better.

This post couldn't be more wrong (and up giving it a like speaks volumes). For one, the coach was Dom Perno. More importantly, Perno didn't do Corny any favors. If he was "determined to make Corny Thompson an All American" he had a strange way of doing it. Corny was money with those 10-15 foot jumpers. That's how they made to the Big Dance his first year. But along comes the Morris Mountian who refused to play down low. He took all Corny's shots. Perno capitulated. Corny had to be the inside guy because Chuck was saving his knees. Corny was the team player, he led the Big East in rebounding . If Perno had any sack he would have read Chuck the riot act. That's what killed the chemistry, Perno not standing up to Chuck.

Reaction Score
This post couldn't be more wrong (and up giving it a like speaks volumes). For one, the coach was Dom Perno. More importantly, Perno didn't do Corny any favors. If he was "determined to make Corny Thompson an All American" he had a strange way of doing it. Corny was money with those 10-15 foot jumpers. That's how they made to the Big Dance his first year. But along comes the Morris Mountian who refused to play down low. He took all Corny's shots. Perno capitulated. Corny had to be the inside guy because Chuck was saving his knees. Corny was the team player, he led the Big East in rebounding . If Perno had any sack he would have read Chuck the riot act. That's what killed the chemistry, Perno not standing up to Chuck.

LOL, man, you are now critiquing courteous likes. Hilarious.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
LOL, man, you are now critiquing courteous likes. Hilarious.

Oh, it was a courteous like. I took it as proof that you don't know what you are talking about.

Reaction Score
What is the purpose of the alleged movie conspiracy against UConn exactly? I enjoyed the documentary and thought it was a pretty good re-telling of the founding and meteoric rise of the BE, then money related fall. If you weren't around in 1980's you likely missed the fact that the entire conference came out of nowhere and dominated in a loud way. The Mount Rushmore of BE players is Mullin, Ewing and Pearl, that doesn't mean those are the best players, they were the founding father's that vaulted the conference to prominence so that UConn could happen later. The UConn story is a great story, but the documentary was about the rise and fall of the BE and UConn was a minor player both times (barely made it in, collateral damage on the demise). The only thing that makes less sense than the anti-UConn paranoia conspiracy reaction would be if Louie Carneseca's dentist had bought advertising during the program.

Reaction Score
I am tired of hearing all the complaining about UCONN not getting respect. Let's earn respect from our actions moving forward and $%&! everyone else.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
What is the purpose of the alleged movie conspiracy against UConn exactly?
Well it was made by ESPN. We know that ESPN was the motivating factor behind the demise of the Big East, and we know that ESPN has sought to minimize UConn at every turn. This is just one more example.

sdhusky

1972,73 & 98 Boneyard Poster of the Year
Reaction Score
I am tired of hearing all the complaining about UCONN not getting respect. Let's earn respect from our actions moving forward and $%&! everyone else.

I enjoyed the documentary. It wasn't really about the BE, just the first 3 or 4 years of the BE and its founding.

Reaction Score

Perno, duh... my bad... Apparently I killed the brain cells holding that information sometime in the previous zillion years....

Reaction Score
Oh, it was a courteous like. I took it as proof that you don't know what you are talking about.

You take a lot of things as proof, Mr. Jump-to-Conclusions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TTown

Top Bottom