Redskins | The Boneyard

Redskins

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
The problem is that the term "Redskin" was used towards Native Americans the same way the N word is currently used towards blacks.

yes, that's what I was thinking - just change it to Indians and be done with it.

Reaction Score
Yeah, the main problem is that it's super racist and offensive. I understand it's tradition, but it was tradition to treat minorities badly, and we managed to change. I think we're finally reaching critical mass on this issue.

Reaction Score
Just change the GD name already. I don't think that they were trying to be offensive way back when, when they chose the name. But good grief, change it.

Reaction Score
I was just thinking that if I were a Redskins fan, would I wear Redskins gear or be too embarassed by the name? I don't think I'd wear the gear except if it were logo-only.

Reaction Score
since modern sports are all about the bennies, seems like it'd be a good merchandizing opportunity for the owner to jump on the name change, kind of like our logo change with everyone needing to update their gear.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
As a Redskins fan, I wouldn't mind if the name went in one of two directions. 1) "Braves" (like it was when the franchise was in Boston) or 2) "Warriors." I don't know what the thought is about the Indian head logo among Native Americans, but the 'Skins used to use an arrowhead spear (similar to FSU). That would be okay with me.

What I would hate is if they went the "Bullets" route and changed the name to something completely unrelated and fantastical.

Reaction Score
As a Redskins fan, I wouldn't mind if the name went in one of two directions. 1) "Braves" (like it was when the franchise was in Boston) or 2) "Warriors." I don't know what the thought is about the Indian head logo among Native Americans, but the 'Skins used to use an arrowhead spear (similar to FSU). That would be okay with me.

What I would hate is if they went the "Bullets" route and changed the name to something completely unrelated and fantastical.
So what you're saying is you wouldn't want another Pelicans team? :)

Reaction Score
redskins+logo+peta.jpg

Husky25

Reaction Score
So what you're saying is you wouldn't want another Pelicans team? :)
Umm. No. In fact I would probably change my football allegiance, especially if they change their colors (the real reason I picked to follow the Redskins as a 6 year old.) ;)

Reaction Score
Your name on here is "DoctorWho85"...I think we already know you are a huge nerd ;)

At this point it has to be an ego thing for Snyder....he doesn't like being told what to do.
I thought I was being pretty incognito with my nerdom.

And it totally is an ego thing for Snyder. He doesn't care what the name is, he only cares that someone other than himself told him to change it.

Reaction Score
Umm. No. In fact I would probably change my football allegiance, especially if they change their colors (the real reason I picked to follow the Redskins as a 6 year old.) ;)
If I wasn't raised a Patriots fan, I'd probably would have been a Raiders or Lions fan. Silver and black or silver and blue are pretty awesome colors.

Bonehead

'Ollie North of the Cesspool'
Reaction Score
I think once he is forced to change the name it would not be 'normal'.

This could be the start of corporate names on jerseys.

DC Federal Express - when you need a victory absolutely, positively - overnight.

Maybe he offends more -

DC Snipers

He is Not going to allow this happen easily and he will pick a name to make a Statement for sure - IMO.

Husky25

Reaction Score
I thought I was being pretty incognito with my nerdom.

And it totally is an ego thing for Snyder. He doesn't care what the name is, he only cares that someone other than himself told him to change it.
Snyder said back when he bought the team that he was never going to change the name. Like Kraft, he is a boyhood fan of the team he owns. Unlike Kraft, he can't help but to tinker in the day-today operations because he thinks he knows football.

Bruce Allen is making every effort to fix the latter.

Husky25

Reaction Score
I think once he is forced to change the name it would not be 'normal'.

This could be the start of corporate names on jerseys.

DC Federal Express - when you need a victory absolutely, positively - overnight.

Maybe he offends more -

DC Snipers

He is Not going to allow this happen easily and he will pick a name to make a Statement for sure - IMO.
Bring back the Bullets (but keep the burgundy and gold)!!!

Reaction Score
Snyder is going to change the name, he just has to put up as big a "resistance" as possible so that when the name inevitably changes he's not the bad guy in the fans' eyes.

Actually he's probably looking forward to changing the name. All of a sudden every fan of the team has to buy all new crap with the new logo and name on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom