Recruits React to First Night and Weekly Recruiting Update | The Boneyard

Recruits React to First Night and Weekly Recruiting Update

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dmike

Waiting for the Snow and 3 pointers to fly
Reaction Score
Thanks for the update. No mention on Swift because there's nothing worth mentioning or because he's out of the picture?

Reaction Score
Thanks for the update. No mention on Swift because there's nothing worth mentioning or because he's out of the picture?

at this point I doubt they're after him, the latest from Amore's most recent article

Recruits On Hand
UConn had four recruits in the house, all from the Class of 2015: Jalen Adams, a 6-2 guard from Wilbraham and Monson; Malachi Richardson, a 6-6 forward from Hamilton, N.J.; Jessie Govan, a 6-10 center from Manhasset, N.Y.; Willie Jackson, a 6-3 guard from Athens, Ga. Needless to say, Govan, the big man, stood out in the crowd. UConn is probably done recruiting from the Class of 2014 unless someone special comes along. The Huskies are working on 2015 and 2016 recruits. ...

http://www.courant.com/sports/uconn-mens-basketball/hc-uconn-men-1019-20131018,0,4035462.story

Dmike

Reaction Score
I was just looking on Rivals and both they and 247 sports have Lyle listed at 6' 5", and more importantly 215 Lbs. ESPN has him at 6'4" 185 Lbs., Scout has him at 6' 4" 200 Lbs.

If he really is that big coming into college. He could be a viable recruit for 2014, particularly if Boat and DeAndre leave for the draft. We are slated to have 12 players on scholarship in 2014 and if Boat and DD go, we could conceivably have just 10 scholarship players in 2014. If we were to add Lyle, and Boat and DD declare for the draft, we could have a perimeter rotation of Calhoun (6'6" 200), Purvis (6'4" 203), Samuel (6'4" 190), Cassel (6'4" 185 - espn), Hamilton (6'7" 185 - espn), and Lyle at arguably 6'5' 215, Lyle would have the widest body of the bunch and could defend the 3 against almost any small forward in college basketball. If Lyle doesn't have academic red flags and possesses the qualities KO likes in a player, I hope that we pursue him. He's a top 20 player with great size at his position and I like the big guard rotation with him in it - it'd give teams with small guard lineups nightmares.

If Boat and Deandre are still around, there'll be a log jam for at least a year, but if not you have 6 players rotating for 3 positions, which works with UConn's uptempo style and Ollie's desire to have 3-4 ball handlers out on the floor at a time.

In 2015, we definitely lose DD and Boat, so there'll be at least 2 schollies available in 2015 even if we sign Lyle and that assumes nobody else goes early. We'll have Facey, Nolan, Brimah, Rock and Tolksdorf still on the roster, so we can look to add quality in 2015 with no particular need, although an impact big would be nice.

Looks like Lyle is down to us and Memphis, with some rumors of Indiana jumping in the mix. Memphis has 4 senior guards departing after this year, so it may make more sense for Lyle to go there. Nevertheless, I hope that staff seriously pursues him. At 215 Lbs. he makes more sense to me then a taller, skinner Devon Robinson ever would.

Reaction Score
I was just looking on Rivals and both they and 247 sports have Lyle listed at 6' 5", and more importantly 215 Lbs. ESPN has him at 6'4" 185 Lbs., Scout has him at 6' 4" 200 Lbs.

If he really is that big coming into college. He could be a viable recruit for 2014, particularly if Boat and DeAndre leave for the draft. We are slated to have 12 players on scholarship in 2014 and if Boat and DD go, we could conceivably have just 10 scholarship players in 2014. If we were to add Lyle, and Boat and DD declare for the draft, we could have a perimeter rotation of Calhoun (6'6" 200), Purvis (6'4" 203), Samuel (6'4" 190), Cassel (6'4" 185 - espn), Hamilton (6'7" 185 - espn), and Lyle at arguably 6'5' 215, Lyle would have the widest body of the bunch and could defend the 3 against almost any small forward in college basketball. If Lyle doesn't have academic red flags and possesses the qualities KO likes in a player, I hope that we pursue him. He's a top 20 player with great size at his position and I like the big guard rotation with him in it - it'd give teams with small guard lineups nightmares.

If Boat and Deandre are still around, there'll be a log jam for at least a year, but if not you have 6 players rotating for 3 positions, which works with UConn's uptempo style and Ollie's desire to have 3-4 ball handlers out on the floor at a time.

In 2015, we definitely lose DD and Boat, so there'll be at least 2 schollies available in 2015 even if we sign Lyle and that assumes nobody else goes early. We'll have Facey, Nolan, Brimah, Rock and Tolksdorf still on the roster, so we can look to add quality in 2015 with no particular need, although an impact big would be nice.

Looks like Lyle is down to us and Memphis, with some rumors of Indiana jumping in the mix. Memphis has 4 senior guards departing after this year, so it may make more sense for Lyle to go there. Nevertheless, I hope that staff seriously pursues him. At 215 Lbs. he makes more sense to me then a taller, skinner Devon Robinson ever would.

Except there are numerous guys who play the same position as he........Omar, Purvis, potentially Facey, DHam .......like the kids game but he would only create problems for PT with many good kids!

Dmike

Reaction Score
Except there are numerous guys who play the same position as he........Omar, Purvis, potentially Facey, DHam .......like the kids game but he would only create problems for PT with many good kids!

From 2003 - 2010, we always had PT problems {I.e. Ed Nelson, Hamilton (prior to senior year), Gavin Edwards (prior to senior year), Doug Wiggins, Scott Hazelton, Curtis Kelly, Marcus White (who I wish had a chance to shine), Rashad Anderson (fresh and soph years), Marcus Johnson, and Jamal Coombs-McDaniel). Even AO, Roscoe Smith, Giffey, and Olander) 2 years ago had issues with minutes.

In the end, the cream rises to the top. A lot of these guys ultimately transferred. Players like Hamilton and Gavin Edwards waited and got their turn in their senior year. So, PT issues can result in a team that can become championship caliber because the talent can't be complacent to earn the PT or can result in team dysfunction and transfers. Not sure what creates the best result, but in the end the more talent you have, the more likely you are to weather injuries and kids that can't handle the speed of the college game. Ultimately, the more talented kids you have, the more likely you are to put the best team possible out on the floor. Plus, I'd be fine with Lyle competing against Cassel and Samuel for PT in 2015.

Reaction Score
I'm thinking you mean Armstrong instead of Hamilton. But agree with your post

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score
OK, two nominees for the All-Name Team: 2017: Dajour Dunkley and Isaiah Godwin. How can you lose with a point guard named GODwin??

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score
God Shammgod didn't win - but maybe because he was a polytheist.
Yeah, when you're real name is Shamgod Wells and you decide to change your name to God Shamgod, God doesn't take too kindly to that. Not good karma. God had to show him he was a sham of a god.

Reaction Score
From 2003 - 2010, we always had PT problems {I.e. Ed Nelson, Hamilton (prior to senior year), Gavin Edwards (prior to senior year), Doug Wiggins, Scott Hazelton, Curtis Kelly, Marcus White (who I wish had a chance to shine), Rashad Anderson (fresh and soph years), Marcus Johnson, and Jamal Coombs-McDaniel). Even AO, Roscoe Smith, Giffey, and Olander) 2 years ago had issues with minutes.

In the end, the cream rises to the top. A lot of these guys ultimately transferred. Players like Hamilton and Gavin Edwards waited and got their turn in their senior year. So, PT issues can result in a team that can become championship caliber because the talent can't be complacent to earn the PT or can result in team dysfunction and transfers. Not sure what creates the best result, but in the end the more talent you have, the more likely you are to weather injuries and kids that can't handle the speed of the college game. Ultimately, the more talented kids you have, the more likely you are to put the best team possible out on the floor. Plus, I'd be fine with Lyle competing against Cassel and Samuel for PT in 2015.

All good for "cream rising to the top" and agree on that point but we need bigs........not another 2-3!!

Dmike

Reaction Score
All good for "cream rising to the top" and agree on that point but we need bigs........not another 2-3!!

Agreed, if we can get the big in '14. Otherwise, like Lyle's versatility in'14 and we are adding a minimum of 2 players in'15. Plus, Facey's not a ball handler despite his weight. He'll be playing the 4, not the 3 unless we go big and that will only be on occasion, if ever.

Dmike

Reaction Score
I'm thinking you mean Armstrong instead of Hamilton. But agree with your post

Correct - Armstrong. Love being on a board where I can use the wrong name and still be understood.:)

Reaction Score
SG Arkel Ager was also at First Night. “I had fun. It was an experience. I can defiantly see myself there,”

I'm guessing he said "definitely".

Reaction Score
I know these kids were never going to say anything negative about it to 3uconn, but I think it's safe to say that the scrimmage was significantly more entertaining than the doubters were thinking it would be. On a related note, I tuned in to Syracuse's event just in time for the start of the dunk contest. The first man up was freshman Ron Patterson, who proceeded to badly miss his first three dunk attempts. You could hear a pin drop in that place.

Reaction Score
The scrimmage was pretty good in the first half, but in the second half, the intensity picked up and the women basically became spectators as they simply couldn't keep pace with the athleticism. I like having them showcased together, but another format might be better.

Reaction Score
The scrimmage was pretty good in the first half, but in the second half, the intensity picked up and the women basically became spectators as they simply couldn't keep pace with the athleticism. I like having them showcased together, but another format might be better.

No, the format was fine and the atmosphere great.

Reaction Score
I know these kids were never going to say anything negative about it to 3uconn, but I think it's safe to say that the scrimmage was significantly more entertaining than the doubters were thinking it would be. On a related note, I tuned in to Syracuse's event just in time for the start of the dunk contest. The first man up was freshman Ron Patterson, who proceeded to badly miss his first three dunk attempts. You could hear a pin drop in that place.

Yea, and I don't really see enough good dunkers on this team to make things interesting, the NBA can't even put on a good dunk contest at this point, having one with this squad would've been ugly.

Reaction Score
Yea, and I don't really see enough good dunkers on this team to make things interesting, the NBA can't even put on a good dunk contest at this point, having one with this squad would've been ugly.

I think Facey and Rodney would have lit it up as well as Boat and potentially Brimah.........not out of this world stuff for sure but better than guessing what cartoon character the pictures were i can tell you that!:confused:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom