Recruiting Impact of Ollie Turning Down OKC | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Recruiting Impact of Ollie Turning Down OKC

Status
Not open for further replies.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
I truly hope you didn't see my comments as ridicule. I try not to do that but probably have gotten carried away more than once. You are the epitome of seeing both sides of an argument in this forum and I had no intention to ridicule.

If your point is recruiting is dirty, I agree. Some folks always see UCONN as the target of everything and that I see as a little paranoid and irrational.
I didn't and stated it in the post. It was a reference to statements made during the rumors of KO going to OKC. Sorry if it wasn't clear.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
First, you're championing Jahshire Hardnett as the missing piece that will allow UConn to compete for championship #5, and now this. On a college team, Miller is not a small forward. He didn't play small forward at Cornell- they put him at the 4 and the 5. He'll be the starting 4 next year for UConn, unless you think he decided to use his final year of eligibility to come off the bench and play behind Daniel Hamilton.
KO occasionally put in a small lineup during that championship run with three guards and Deandre and Niels at the four and five. Loved watching that lineup play. He couldn't do that last season. The team probably is one guard away from having that option this season. Man do I want Sterling. And this is not meant as a dig to Sam Jr. or Terrance.

Reaction Score
Jahshire appears on film that he might be able to dribble the ball up court without bouncing it off his foot. He was shooting jumpers and tossing assists on tape. Three skills that not one of the current roster seem to master last year. We are bringing in a freshman point guard, Adams, who is expected to replace the only dependable ball handler we had. So, I am championing anyone who can replace Boat's skill set. Jahshire is a kid we are recruiting and he said he was going to make his decision last week. If Adams gets hurt, I hope you don't think for a second that this team will get the ball across half court without turning it over half of the time in face of a L'ville-type press. DHam is not Scotty Pippen(yet). Yes, a back up point is what this team needs the most and Jahshire probably could do that for this team. Why is that so hard for people to understand?
I said it in the Hardnett thread, but he'd be committed already if he had a real offer. Hardnett reminds me of the typical late spring recruit that tries to drum up interest by throwing out random offers.
Miller is a player. He will start a the 4 because he can play and we have no one at that spot. But he is not a classic 4. He choose UConn because we have a hole in that spot. If Diamond Stone decommits from MD tomorrow, calls Ollie and says I want to come to UConn but I have to play the four, Miller will then be the three, DHam the two and Purvis the 6th man( in about one second flat or less). But don't be surprised if Miller plays a lot of backup center a la Daniels. After all, he is a player. One should remember that at Cornell, 6'7'' is the size of a strong forward. At Kentucky it is the size of a shooting guard.
At the college level, 6'7" is the typical size of a power forward. Here's a measurement chart from DraftExpress listing the average height of PFs as 6'7". Here's another piece saying in order to play PF at the D1 level, you have to be at least 6'7".

Will Miller play spot minutes at the 3? Probably, because KO likes to tinker with his lineup and see who plays well together. But, you usually want you're small forwards shooting better than 27% from three for their career. And, trust me, I will not be surprised if Miller plays the 5, because the 2 positions he has played in the past are power forward and center.

Reaction Score
KO occasionally put in a small lineup during that championship run with three guards and Deandre and Niels at the four and five. Loved watching that lineup play. He couldn't do that last season. The team probably is one guard away from having that option this season. Man do I want Sterling. And this is not meant as a dig to Sam Jr. or Terrance.
I don't disagree that UConn needs another ball handler. I just don't think there are any other viable 2015 recruits remaining that fit that need and are worth giving a scholarship to.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
I don't disagree that UConn needs another ball handler. I just don't think there are any other viable 2015 recruits remaining that fit that need and are worth giving a scholarship to.
Tookie brown?

Reaction Score
Exactly. And the optimist in me thinks Sterling Gibbs sees this and is like "Hey, i could start on a possible contender next season, so why not try to transfer" but that may be a pipe dream.

Reaction Score
It's even harder to take it seriously if he isn't claiming that the sky is falling.

It's even harder to take it seriously if you don't invoke the straw man that leaves no room for dissenting opinion.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
It's even harder to take it seriously if you don't invoke the straw man that leaves no room for dissenting opinion.
You know Ern, you are correct. Our recruiting sucks and we have no reason to believe we will do anything beyond compete with UCF and ECU to remain out of the basement next year.

The last time recruiting was this disappointing was the year we missed out on Brandon Knight, Doron Lamb, Josh Selby, et al and had to settle on a bunch of lesser recruits.

Reaction Score
FfldCntyFan said:
You know Ern, you are correct. Our recruiting sucks and we have no reason to believe we will do anything beyond compete with UCF and ECU to remain out of the basement next year. The last time recruiting was this disappointing was the year we missed out on Brandon Knight, Doron Lamb, Josh Selby, et al and had to settle on a bunch of lesser recruits.

Thanks. You could not have proved my point any better. What a nonsensical response.

Reaction Score
UConn's class was considered top twenty before the All Ivy League Miller committed. Top twenty means that 340 or so programs did worse. So, if being is the top 95 percentile is not big time, I don't know what is.
Wow top 20?!!! You dont say!:rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr