Recruiting Impact of Ollie Turning Down OKC | The Boneyard

Recruiting Impact of Ollie Turning Down OKC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
How big of a deal is this recruiting-wise (a) simply in terms of the fact that a kid in high school knows his next coach was offered the opportunity to lead an NBA franchise that has been in the top 5-10 teams in the league over past several years, and (b) in terms of countervailing the competitors' claims regarding his loyalty and risk of taking off for the Association?

If this has been buried in another related thread, please direct me there.. and sorry for the 'anti-mojo,' but at this point I am taking KO for his word and believe the uncertainty is over near-term.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
certainly doesn't hurt

KO has more street cred than any other coach in CBB

Reaction Score
How big of a deal is this recruiting-wise (a) simply in terms of the fact that a kid in high school knows his next coach was offered the opportunity to lead an NBA franchise that has been in the top 5-10 teams in the league over past several years, and (b) in terms of countervailing the competitors' claims regarding his loyalty and risk of taking off for the Association?

If this has been buried in another related thread, please direct me there.. and sorry for the 'anti-mojo,' but at this point I am taking KO for his word and believe the uncertainty is over near-term.

Jees I think hes done a pretty good job so far. KO=NBA and also a good guy who already has won a championship. That should have nice appeal.

Reaction Score
I'm hoping there is some residual effect from this. We did just go through this exact scenario with less gains in recruiting than i expected- I.e. a National Title with Ollie turning down the Lakers.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
Let's not talk about the recruiting effect of Ollie turning down the OKC job. That's obvious. Let's talk about the recruiting effect of Ollie BEING OFFERED the OKC job. To me, that's a nice tool to have in his tool belt (to put right next to the fact that he already has a National Championship).

He can walk into any kid's home in America and say, "Yup, the NBA keeps asking for my services. So how do you feel about my ability to get you ready for the NBA, son?" That's a pretty sweet thing to have on your belt...

444JR

The Brand is Strong
Reaction Score
Hopefully helps enough to get another ball handler, combo guard type who is an above average outside shooter. The Sterling Gibbs rumor would be best fit and would lessen the need of a floor spacing wing if the staff can't manage to grab one.

Reaction Score
Let's not talk about the recruiting effect of Ollie turning down the OKC job. That's obvious. Let's talk about the recruiting effect of Ollie BEING OFFERED the OKC job. To me, that's a nice tool to have in his tool belt (to put right next to the fact that he already has a National Championship).

He can walk into any kid's home in America and say, "Yup, the NBA keeps asking for my services. So how do you feel about my ability to get you ready for the NBA, son?" That's a pretty sweet thing to have on your belt...

He already has/should have a bunch of advantages recruiting. Just needs to translate that into some consistent success.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score

agreed, he just better not leave... but seriously, each year he has improved the recruiting class... he also was involved in the recruitment of bazz's class

Reaction Score
Quite freakin shriekin frankly UConnDan87 has struck BY gold! Ollie putting this GREAT offer by OKC to rest could help open the floodgates on the recruiting side of things. If you think about it withdrawing/turning down his name from a team some may favor to win an NBA Championship next year shows just how loyal this guy really is! With OKC willing to pay the buyout and prolly shell out close to 5M per for our great coach the world better take notice that the conference realignment issue and the AAC ain't stoppin us! PLEASE take the time to grasp what UConnDan so articulately mentioned above. Let us focus on the key words here! OFFERED and TURNED DOWN! Before you come back up for air after the excitement subsides take the time to reflect on what just transpired in the recruitment process with Kevin Ollie. Only the best freaking tool box/belt in the universe can carry all the tools Ollie has right now! UConnDan making the amazing tool analogy!

Back to tools as mentioned by UConnDan97 in his Hall of Fame post! Kevin Ollie turning down the OKC job after the offer now equates from a tools/recruiting perspective... to KO carrying around a Sturtevant Richmont Torque Limited Screwdriver Kit on the recruiting trail! I just want KO to pull out these amazing new found tools ONE MORE time this recruiting period!

Let's do this brodies!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Woooooooo hoooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

Silk31

CA$$$HHHHH
Reaction Score
Turn this once negative media circus into a recruiting positive. For a guy who knew where his heart was and that he was staying put, KO played this perfectly and didn't let any doubt drag out.

Now he can go kill it on the recruiting trail with this ace up his sleeve

Reaction Score

I'd be saying

"I am considered good enough to bring the Lakers back, and to lead two of the top 5 players in the world. Needless to say, I know how to run NBA-style offenses. You want a year or so of exposure to NBA offenses at a school that has its history of putting guys in the NBA? Or do you want to be a part of a media hype machine? When did XYZ last get courted by -cking Lakers?"

Reaction Score
I'd be saying

"I am considered good enough to bring the Lakers back, and to lead two of the top 5 players in the world. Needless to say, I know how to run NBA-style offenses. You want a year or so of exposure to NBA offenses at a school that has its history of putting guys in the NBA? Or do you want to be a part of a media hype machine? When did XYZ last get courted by -cking Lakers?"

Ollie has been courted by everyone bro. The guy is a freakin rock star! :) :)

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
Honestly, nothing has really changed in this department for KO since last year's title, and we all saw how great of a draw it had with recruits this past cycle...

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score
KO was smart. You don't take a higher paying job before your divorce is final and have that income considered in the settlement. Smart move by KO, plus he probably likes being near his kids. Right job, wrong time.

Reaction Score
They have one. His name is Jalen Adams.

They do need another ball handler though.

I hope that Jalen is okay after all the Ollie/OKC talk. I can imagine that kind of
clatter can be unsettling to a high profile recruit while all the vultures circle
over them.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
  • As much as I hate the Ollie/ NBA speculation, in June, 2016 his buy out drops by about 75-80%. Does anyone know how old his kids will be at that point? The dramatic drop in the buy out had to have some logic behind it.
  • Before people get carried away, my guess is KO wanted an option at that point and, if his kids have reached enough independence that he might want to weigh the NBA option at that point.
  • The divorce, when finalized, may make it easier for him to move away. But one never knows. It may strengthen his desire for access to his kids, even if they spend most of their time at college.
  • I believe Ollie, more than 90% of Americans, will include principle, not just cash, in his decision.

Reaction Score
  • As much as I hate the Ollie/ NBA speculation, in June, 2016 his buy out drops by about 75-80%. Does anyone know how old his kids will be at that point? The dramatic drop in the buy out had to have some logic behind it.
  • Before people get carried away, my guess is KO wanted an option at that point and, if his kids have reached enough independence that he might want to weigh the NBA option at that point.
  • The divorce, when finalized, may make it easier for him to move away. But one never knows. It may strengthen his desire for access to his kids, even if they spend most of their time at college.
  • I believe Ollie, more than 90% of Americans, will include principle, not just cash, in his decision.

Good points. We will never know how much his personal situation factors into this. Nor should we.

It has to be an unsettling time for him and his family. Sometimes too much change is not good. I am not just saying this because I like KO and UCONN but for him personally, my bet is he made the right decision on many fronts. That being the case is why he is such a great coach. He has two key ingredients for a great person and coach. Good moral fiber and great problem solving and decision making capabilities.

UconnU

Demolish the XL center.
Reaction Score
I think its possible that JC gave this position to KO with the understanding that he is never to leave....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom