Recruiting: help me understand why UCONN doesn't get more 5s & 4s | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Recruiting: help me understand why UCONN doesn't get more 5s & 4s

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
It seems a lot of people here are being intentionally obtuse. OP never implied we should change our recruiting strategies or complain about the quality of kids we have. Obviously we are all thrilled with the results.

But the truth is, we often go head-to-head with other programs for top kids and lose. The OP is curious why. This is not a referendum on coaching or how we develop kids. I don't buy the argument that "who cares, we're winning." Yes, we are winning. Are we winning because we lose recruiting battles? Or in spite of losing recruiting battles?

I don't know the answer to the question, but I don't think it's an outlandish question.

Reaction Score
Its not how you arrive in Storrs that matters but how you leave. I have always felt what made UConn into a powerhouse was their ability to develop kids. I think, starting with Calhoun, they targeted a certain type of athlete and were confident they could teach them the right way to play basketball. Its worked.

Reaction Score
Irish Loop said:
It seems a lot of people here are being intentionally obtuse. OP never implied we should change our recruiting strategies or complain about the quality of kids we have. Obviously we are all thrilled with the results. But the truth is, we often go head-to-head with other programs for top kids and lose. The OP is curious why. This is not a referendum on coaching or how we develop kids. I don't buy the argument that "who cares, we're winning." Yes, we are winning. Are we winning because we lose recruiting battles? Or in spite of losing recruiting battles? I don't know the answer to the question, but I don't think it's an outlandish question.

Exactly. How many people have said we don't want those kids because they don't fit our style. But then why are we offering them? Statistically it just doesn't make sense.

Reaction Score
I'll try one more time, as politely as I can. The interesting question is why UNC and Kansas and others don't copy our method of only playing lightly in the market for the Top 25 kids, since it is our method -- and not their method -- that is producing more championships. That is the point I -- and others before me I think -- were trying to make.

The answer to the original question, by the way, in my opinion, is that Calhoun wouldn't put up with the BS just because you were a star that other coaches would. And since the Burger AAs were coddled by high school coaches or they'd go elsewhere, and looked forward to playing in the NBA where if they were good enough they would be more powerful than their coaches, most players of that level simply made other choices.
Doesn't this rely on the assumption that if Ollie or Calhoun could have multiple top 10 recruits every season, that they WOULDN'T be able to win that way ?

I'm pretty sure that's complete BUNK. Calhoun's best teams were assembled during his best recruiting periods. If not for issues with AJ Price off the court and Dyson's injury, it's distinctly possible that the championship total would be more like 6 than 4.

Plus, if that were the case, wouldn't Calhoun / Ollie avoid recruiting the top 10 / 25 players ? That certainly isn't the case.

Inyatkin

Stairway to Seven
Reaction Score
But the truth is, we often go head-to-head with other programs for top kids and lose.
This is certainly true. But so does Kansas, and North Carolina, and Arizona, etc. Basically Kentucky right now is the only one with their pick of the litter, though Duke is close.
There are a lot of top guys, and before we entered coaching/APR/realignment chaos, we got our share. There's good reason to think we will again.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
Calhoun was so good at player development/recognizing talent that it is amazing. Not that it has anything to do with my original question but I would love to see the high school ratings of out NBA players compared to the high school ratings of the NBA players from other top colleges. I believe that would be impressive.

Reaction Score
I think UCONN is a national powerhouse equal to anyone. We are the dominant championship team over the past 15 years. So why do the top 10 recruits repeatedly go to KY, Duke, UNC. Kansas and even AZ.

I understand we don't focus on one-and-dones and I understand why. I love the way we find great value in 3 star players (and off the radar players) and are great at developing those players. I understand and appreciate a true team concept.

But that aside, why are most of those kids keeping us on their short list? We've won more championships, have a Coach who is a charisma magnet, and a dozen NBA players. I know the conference is a part of it and that we had a coaching transition and a recent sanction. But this seemed to be going on when we were still ruling the BE with a long-time coach.

But every year KY gets about 5 top ten players, Duke, UNC, & Kansas divide up the rest with an occasional player not going to those top 4 colleges. I don't want to be KY, but I just don't get it.
it seems like thats the case but we get our fair share of 4/5 stars. Andre Drummond was considered by many to be the #1 player in the nation.

Reaction Score
Best of luck to the young man in his future and representing UConn in the NBA. We are eternally grateful for your contributions at our fine University you're always welcome back to come watch us win future Champsionships.

Thanks, DeAndre.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr