Recruiting and this season's run | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Recruiting and this season's run

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Obi would be an awesome get for Ollie. Here's an article about his performance as a freshman last year:

http://collegebasketballtalk.nbcspo...es-sean-obi-and-keith-washington-to-transfer/

He's got soft hands and is a beast on the defensive glass:

"Obi made nearly 60 percent of his twos. He was also ferocious on the defensive glass, grabbing roughly 31 percent of opponents’ misses, a rate which ranked second in Ken Pomeroy’s database."

And his home is in Greenwich. Seems like a natural fit.

Reaction Score
Obi was 3rd in the country in defensive rebounding percentage last season - kid averaged 17 and 14 per 40 minutes. I don't know how well he'd fit in to our offensive and defensive schemes, but one skill that always seems to translate now matter what is rebounding, and he's one of the best in the country. He'd help anybody, especially given he's only a freshman.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Obi would have to sit a year, right?
I think that is correct - I don't think the status of the former HC has any bearing on whether the NCAA waives the 1 year waiting period for a kid who decides to transfer. Seems kind of bogus to me since a coach can quit and get a new job and start immediately, but since when did the NCAA make logical sense of anything?

On another note, even if he had to sit a year, He and Lubin seem similar players and could easily coexist IMHO with Nolan and Brimah in the 4-5 spots. It would also allow us to NOT use players like Daniels as a 4 when he is really more suited at the 3 spot. And of course it would give us more depth. And allow Ollie to mix and match way more. Having said that, though, it seems he and Lubin are awfully similar. Still, having those 4 in the front court suddenly makes it a strength, not a question mark...

Reaction Score
He and Lubin seem similar players and could easily coexist IMHO with Nolan and Brimah in the 4-5 spots. It would also allow us to NOT use players like Daniels as a 4 when he is really more suited at the 3 spot. And of course it would give us more depth. And allow Ollie to mix and match way more. Having said that, though, it seems he and Lubin are awfully similar. Still, having those 4 in the front court suddenly makes it a strength, not a question mark...

I've actually grown quite fond of having someone like DD (maybe with slightly more bulk or physical toughness, like Roscoe) at the 4, rather than another paint-oriented big body. It does wonders for our floor spacing, opens up penetration and cutting lanes, and forces the defense to respect the 3 point shot (or punishes them if they don't).

As far as recruiting goes, I think that's the archetype we need to try to go after for 2015, to replace Daniels. We could also use another big to complement Brimah/Nolan and Lubin/Facey, but I think it's most important to keep someone at that stretch-4 position, which has caused major matchup problems for the opponent and fairly few matchup problems for us.

I also think we're pretty much all set at the guard position for 2015, unless there's an absolute stud we want to bring in. In 2015, we'll have Purvis, Samuel, Cassell, Jackson, and Ali to split time at the 1/2.

Reaction Score
Agreed on the backcourt for 2015. Wouldn't really take anyone else, unless Briscoe wanted to come here. He's one of those talents you take no matter what, IMO. But we need to focus on the frontcourt, whether it's true 5s or stretch 4s.

Reaction Score
I've actually grown quite fond of having someone like DD (maybe with slightly more bulk or physical toughness, like Roscoe) at the 4, rather than another paint-oriented big body. It does wonders for our floor spacing, opens up penetration and cutting lanes, and forces the defense to respect the 3 point shot (or punishes them if they don't).

As far as recruiting goes, I think that's the archetype we need to try to go after for 2015, to replace Daniels. We could also use another big to complement Brimah/Nolan and Lubin/Facey, but I think it's most important to keep someone at that stretch-4 position, which has caused major matchup problems for the opponent and fairly few matchup problems for us.

I also think we're pretty much all set at the guard position for 2015, unless there's an absolute stud we want to bring in. In 2015, we'll have Purvis, Samuel, Cassell, Jackson, and Ali to split time at the 1/2.

The odds of Purvis being here in 2015 are small. If he has the year we all expect in 2014 he will be our version of one and done.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Tenspro2002 said:
I've actually grown quite fond of having someone like DD (maybe with slightly more bulk or physical toughness, like Roscoe) at the 4, rather than another paint-oriented big body. It does wonders for our floor spacing, opens up penetration and cutting lanes, and forces the defense to respect the 3 point shot (or punishes them if they don't). As far as recruiting goes, I think that's the archetype we need to try to go after for 2015, to replace Daniels. We could also use another big to complement Brimah/Nolan and Lubin/Facey, but I think it's most important to keep someone at that stretch-4 position, which has caused major matchup problems for the opponent and fairly few matchup problems for us. I also think we're pretty much all set at the guard position for 2015, unless there's an absolute stud we want to bring in. In 2015, we'll have Purvis, Samuel, Cassell, Jackson, and Ali to split time at the 1/2.

I think from what little I've seen of Facey, that he may be a good candidate to replace DD at the stretch 4. He likes the face up game and he shot a couple treys this year, no?

Reaction Score
Not sure why you expect Rodney to be gone in 2015. I watched him a ton last year and unlike most NC State fans I think he will develop into a very good player but he is raw.

Unbelievably athletic and can get to rim but he has to work hard to refine his game. He isn't a pure scorer by any stretch.

Reactions: THC
Reaction Score
Thinking outside of the box, how about Ahmed Hill? He had an offer from us, and I remember a pretty decent Hill vs Hamilton debate. I assume Marquette will let him out of his LOI, and I would feel a lot more comfortable having him on the roster in case freshman Calhoun does not come back next season.

Reaction Score
Not sure why you expect Rodney to be gone in 2015. I watched him a ton last year and unlike most NC State fans I think he will develop into a very good player but he is raw.

Unbelievably athletic and can get to rim but he has to work hard to refine his game. He isn't a pure scorer by any stretch.

unbelievably athletic and can get to the rim + 2 years with KO (he is practicing with the team this year) = NBA. I don't doubt that he was raw as a freshman under Gotlieb, but 2 years at "Guard U" will turn raw into rare.

Reaction Score
unbelievably athletic and can get to the rim + 2 years with KO (he is practicing with the team this year) = NBA. I don't doubt that he was raw as a freshman under Gotlieb, but 2 years at "Guard U" will turn raw into rare.

Is Rodney even cleared to play yet? Remember he had surgery to repair a torn labrum back in Dec. I believe recovery time was 4-5 months. So this means he's not really been practicing with the team for most of the season. As we've witnessed with Omar, it takes time to get back into the swing of things with excessive time off. Hopefully over the summer Rodney will get the time to work on his game, but we don't know how long it will really take.

I'll add that Kris Dunn @ PC had a similar surgery & his first 2 seasons have been a wash because of it.

Reaction Score
I don't see Purvis being one-and-done here.

Next year it will be Boat's team, with Purvis as a "redshirt"-sophomore sidekick, along with freshman Hamilton, senior DD, and sophomore Brimah.

The following year it will be junior Purvis's team, alongside freshman Jackson, freshman Ali, or junior Samuel in the backcourt, with sophomore Hamilton on the wing, ???? at the 4, and junior Brimah at the 5.

Next year will be a bit of a "bridge year" between the old guard of Boat/DD and the new guys in Purvis, Hamilton, Brimah, and the 2015 frosh.

Reaction Score

Next year it will be Boat's team, with Purvis as a "redshirt"-sophomore sidekick, along with freshman Hamilton, senior DD, and sophomore Brimah.

The following year it will be junior Purvis's team, alongside freshman Jackson, freshman Ali, or junior Samuel in the backcourt, with sophomore Hamilton on the wing, ???? at the 4, and junior Brimah at the 5.

Next year will be a bit of a "bridge year" between the old guard of Boat/DD and the new guys in Purvis, Hamilton, Brimah, and the 2015 frosh.

And the key to everything is Brimah, Facey and Nolan.

If these guys develop and become Thabeet/Roscoe Smithx2, I feel bad for the the opposing perimeter players who are going to be swarmed by Purvis, Samuels, Cassell Jr., Calhoun, Ali and Jackson.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
And the key to everything is Brimah, Facey and Nolan.

If these guys develop and become Thabeet/Roscoe Smithx2, I feel bad for the the opposing perimeter players who are going to be swarmed by Purvis, Samuels, Cassell Jr., Calhoun, Ali and Jackson.

The nice thing is that Facey and Nolan have such different games. We'll be able to play some matchup games when you throw Lubin into the mix.

Reaction Score

You are assuming that Purvis is going to be a star. He could become a star or he could end up being what he was at NC State: a very good player. The kid that really excites me is Hamilton. He has that Ray Allen feel about him. I also look for Omar to rebound and be a major contributor.
We have a lot of talent coming in the next 2 years and Ollie is not done. Our FF will provide a bounce to recruiting and we may get a Jessie Govan and others. We may even land a surprise recruit as we did with DD. Whatever happens, Ollie is going to have a lot of options and UConn's future looks bright.

Reaction Score
Is Rodney even cleared to play yet? Remember he had surgery to repair a torn labrum back in Dec. I believe recovery time was 4-5 months. So this means he's not really been practicing with the team for most of the season. As we've witnessed with Omar, it takes time to get back into the swing of things with excessive time off. Hopefully over the summer Rodney will get the time to work on his game, but we don't know how long it will really take.

I'll add that Kris Dunn @ PC had a similar surgery & his first 2 seasons have been a wash because of it.
He sent out a tweet the other day saying that he "practiced with his brothers" for the first time before they left for Dallas... Sorry, "North Texas".

Reaction Score
Very nice article on Obi. Didn't know he played AAU ball with Drummond (and Dunn by extension. How were they only no. 12 in the country!). I'd take him in a heartbeat!

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Thinking outside of the box, how about Ahmed Hill? He had an offer from us, and I remember a pretty decent Hill vs Hamilton debate. I assume Marquette will let him out of his LOI, and I would feel a lot more comfortable having him on the roster in case freshman Calhoun does not come back next season.
I really like hill

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01