Recruiting and this season's run | The Boneyard

Recruiting and this season's run

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
In the past these final 4 trips have led to us getting some surprise out of the blue big recruits. Here's hoping it happens again to top off next year's class.

GemParty

Co~host of the Sliders & Curveballs Podcast
Reaction Score
Why go anywhere else? A young winning coach, family man, & you get to join the family. Oh, & we have a small new practice gym being built too. Oh my!

Reaction Score
Were any recruits at the Garden this week end? I know we are involved with 2-3 NYC area recruits for 2015.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Why go anywhere else? A young winning coach, family man, & you get to join the family. Oh, & we have a small new practice gym being built too. Oh my!
Agree 100%. And have you seen the facility lately? The building exterior seems almost done - brick and glass all in place. Obviously it's still snowy/rainy there and I'm sure they are in full swing working on the interior, so the landscaping will come later in the spring, but it's looking very good and going to be a sensational part of the UCONN experience, for recruits of both teams! Can't wait to see it when it's done. I go back to CT to visit my family every March and will take a trip to UCONN March 2015 to enjoy and appreciate the facility because I know it will be complete this summer.

Reaction Score
I was wondering the same thing about recruits... Hoping 3uconn knows something!

Reaction Score
It's one thing to have a dedicated basketball facility, but imagine what the trophy and awards section will look like when new recruits see it. I doubt that they can do it but a UCONN to the NBA section (with earnings) would pop some eyeballs.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Even if recruits were not in the building, Something tells me they were watching. The crowd was unmistakable on TV and everyone and they brother is talking about it this morning. Plus it is all over Twitter. I think recruits are getting a pretty decent picture of UConn's reach to the Southwest.

Reaction Score
Cutting down the nets will set us up to have big time classes in 15 and 16. What kid in his right mind wouldnt want to be a part of this?!!!:D

Reaction Score
Were any recruits at the Garden this week end? I know we are involved with 2-3 NYC area recruits for 2015.

I saw some really tall high school kids wearing basketball warm ups, but none of them looked older than 15.. they were there, who they were and if they were being recruited - I have no idea.. helpful, I know lol.

Reaction Score
It's one thing to have a dedicated basketball facility, but imagine what the trophy and awards section will look like when new recruits see it. I doubt that they can do it but a UCONN to the NBA section (with earnings) would pop some eyeballs.
Why couldn't they? The Burton Complex has an area with photos and helmets showing all the teams that drafted UConn players. If they don't, they are making a huge mistake.

Earning shouldn't be on there, the players dream of making the NBA, and they know what kind of money is out there.

Reaction Score
jibsey said:

This already exists in Gampel (minus any $$ references). No reason it wouldn't move to the new place.

Reaction Score
I am curious if there are any transfers who graduated early looking at UCONN as the last two years.

Don't know about grad transfers but did see an article about BU soph point Maurice Watson today. He's looking to transfer to a bigger stage. Set the Patriot league single season record for assists this year, averaged 7 a game. No idea whether we'd have interest but this was his father's quote:

“We’ve looked at the schools and we’ve looked at who’s leaving, graduating, who’s transferring, who’s going to need a transfer guard,” he said. “And when we think about programs like that we think about UConn, we think about Marquette, we think about a Stanford, who has some things going on. Those are schools that we looked at, that we’ve thought about, but we haven’t talked to any of them.”

http://cityofbasketballlove.com/2014/04/maurice-watson-transferring-from-boston-u/

Reaction Score
Never heard of Watson, but theoretically he could sit (and redshirt) next year, then help replace Bazz in '15 with 2 years to play. If Ollie were to approve, I wouldn't question it.

Reaction Score
If we're looking at taking any transfers, give me Sean Obi, please. Been told that UConn is involved with him already.

Obi coming on board would be amazing. If it were any other school he'd get a waiver, but if he were to come to UConn, I'm sure the NCAA would make him sit a year :rolleyes:

Brimah, Nolan, Lubin, and Obi would be a monstrous front court.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Watson played pretty well against UConn in November - 6-12, 13 pts, six assists.

Kind of an odd game - UConn was up 19 with five minutes left in the first half and wound up trailing by one with three minutes played in the second.

Not a great shooter, borderline-poor from the free throw line and probably even smaller than Boat.

Not entirely sure he's a fit here, but he's a starter for something on the order of a Temple or Rutgers.

Reaction Score
Watson assisted on half of his teammates' made shots while he was on the court, which is certifiably insane. Also a pest on D, 27th in country in steal rate. He is only 5'10, but he made 53% of his 2-point shots, which is pretty good. 33% on 3's, but his poor FT% indicates that's not likely to rise.

I am curious if there are any transfers who graduated early looking at UCONN as the last two years.

I know Matt Carlino is available as an immediate grad transfer. This list has all the announced transfers, including those that will graduate and be eligible immediately. Bryce Dejean-Jones from UNLV is a decent big playmaker.

Reaction Score
I watched quite a few UNLV games last year to check out Roscoe, Dejean-Jones's shot selection and decision making was awful, but then again Dave Rice seems to just roll the ball out there with no type of structure on offense so it wouldn't surprise me to see him go to somewhere like Iowa State and look a whole lot better.

Reaction Score
I watched quite a few UNLV games last year to check out Roscoe, Dejean-Jones's shot selection and decision making was awful, but then again Dave Rice seems to just roll the ball out there with no type of structure on offense so it wouldn't surprise me to see him go to somewhere like Iowa State and look a whole lot better.

Seems like he had some off-court drama, too, so the decision making comment makes sense. His turnover numbers were actually pretty good, but shooting numbers pretty poor.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
It's not going to happen, but MJ Rhett is something like a 10 and 10 guy and he's eligible immediately. Kyle Davis from Utah State is a very solid rebounder, but not particularly big - he transferred from Southern Utah and has taken a Mormon mission. Good player and "old" sophomore, but not necessarily a great fit for UConn. A lot of people are high on Nolan Berry, the kid who left Butler - my guess is that he transfers downwards.

Dejean-Jones will be good at Iowa State. Anything transferring from UNLV is interesting because there simply isn't a worse coach on the planet than Dave Rice. He couldn't teach an eskimo baby to make a snowball.

Obi is the one who is truly interesting from a UConn perspective - he fills an area that we'll need fillin'.

Reaction Score
If we are too add someone right now it looks likely that it is Sean Obi. The best part about him is that he will likely be able to play next year due to Rice firing their coach.

I talked with him yesterday and he said he has talked with Ollie so the interest is there for sure.

Reaction Score
Why would obi b eligible immediately? Isn't that just for graduates or guys who committed and coaches change but haven't arrived on campus.

Do we have 1 available? Is their a scholarship matrix somewhere? I used to follow this stuff close but not any more.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
11-9 last year for obi. Kid is 6-9 265 according to bspn. Sign me up!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom