Random Thoughts | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Random Thoughts

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
All I'm saying is that the results to date don't tell me what kind of a coach Diaco is.

If you dropped out of the sky this year you would think Belechik and McCarthy are bad coaches also.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
All I'm saying is that the results to date don't tell me what kind of a coach Diaco is.

If you dropped out of the sky this year you would think Belechik and McCarthy are bad coaches also.

Nobody from what I've seen is claiming that the results to date tell you what kind of coach Diaco is.

Well other than a couple of people who considered Weist a legitimate candidate for the full time job.

Reaction Score
And the people that are starting to call for people to be fired.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
I honestly would've rather had CW throw 3 picks if it meant we were trying to win.

You can point to the final score all you want but a miracle pick 6 and a garbage time TD don't due that game justice.

What we saw was an absolute embarrassment against an awful team.

The fact we didn't even attempt to play the game makes me livid and makes me not want to kill my weekend traveling to these home games.

The "preparatory" games were bs and running the ball into the line over and over again was awful.

Diaco talks a big game but his decisions are mystifying. The fans are fed up and I imagine it's only a matter of time before he loses the team.

jbdphi

Aussie Aussie Aussie!
Reaction Score
Buffalo 2013 was light years better than USF 2014. It was obvious they were going to get killed there - an all time let down spot. Same as when they beat Pitt coming off the blown game to ND.

Can you imagine this season if they played even a 2006 Big East schedule. Bloodbath.

The only good thing about that Buffalo game was that everyone knew that was the death knell for the PP/GDL regime and thank goodness. But if you compare game performance, how can you possibly say that was way better than Friday night?

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
The only good thing about that Buffalo game was that everyone knew that was the death knell for the PP/GDL regime and thank goodness. But if you compare game performance, how can you possibly say that was way better than Friday night?

I was saying that Buffalo in 2013 was a better team than South Florida in 2014.

My initial point is on the quality of play from both teams.

Reaction Score
I've never seen a coach throw in the proverbial towel less than 5 min into a game and then admit it after the game.

To those that think he was trying to win the game last night..God I hope he wasn't. His master plan of getting a miracle pick 6 and getting to garbage time needing 2 miracles came within an onside kick recovery, drive, and FG from happening.

If he actually was trying to win the game, then we are utterly f:;;cked unless gets better. Before this game I was still thinking that he needed time and space to figure this thing out. But now I really wonder if he knows what he is doing.

Reaction Score
If he actually was trying to win the game, then we are utterly f:;;cked unless gets better. Before this game I was still thinking that he needed time and space to figure this thing out. But now I really wonder if he knows what he is doing.

You should join the other thread where people are claiming Diaco employed a rope-a-dope like strategy.

Reaction Score
Again.......Again.........Again........

That is Diacos strategy. He is going to get this team to block , to learn to play offensive line by repetitive action under extremely difficult circumstances until they get it. I was there right behind the UCONN bench. I saw south Florida with the whole defense within five yards of the line of scrimmage smelling run and getting a run. Forcing the front five or six to go power to power with usf. ANd those USF boys looked big on defense. These boys gained a lot Friday night. Temple is in for it.

C

Chief00

Quite frankly, just starting CW is a concession to not winning. Given how Casey's situation was handled do I have a lot of confidence that Boyle is really ok and all this confusion and double talk is just poor communication and nothing else's? Given the incompetence we have seen that's possible but is it probable?
Bottomline, without Calhoun's guidance Warde's ability to hire well is a huge question mark?

Reaction Score
Again..Again....Again...

I was there right behind the UCONN bench. I saw south Florida with the whole defense within five yards of the line of scrimmage smelling run and getting a run.
Could you hear South Florida imitating our cadiance on defense?

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score

Money you just don't understand.

The bulk of the brilliant minds on this board have already seen enough to determine that Diaco is among the worst hires ever. After all (and I really need someone to map out how this works) it is better to lost 28-0 but have a only a 90% chance of losing than to lose by a field goal but have a 95% chance of losing. Granted, I haven't attended a Mensa gathering in a few years and it has been more than a decade since I attended regularly but I may need to hit one up again to see that genius face to face.

Reaction Score
Some of the people on here remind me of my kids when they went to their first hockey game. UConn was down 4-3 with 1:30 to go and they pulled the goalie. The other team scored an empty netter with 15 seconds to play and my kids thought it was the dumbest decision they had ever seen...why would you lose 5-3 when you could have lost only 4-3? Diaco approached Friday's game like that...we're not going to be embarrassed in tomorrow's paper...17_14 looks much better than 27-14. He should talk to Cav about the concept of pulling the goalie some time. Sometimes it works, mostly it doesn't and sometimes it make the score even worse, but at least you took a shot.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
1) Nobody has said Diaco deserves to be fired or that he's the worst hire ever.

2) For the millionth time, nobody is being overly judgmental over the W/Ls this season as we knew we were going to be bad.

3) Diaco's decision making and his process are open for debate if you want to debate facts and not merrits of blind faith.

4) The offensive game plan said to me, that Diaco has no faith in his offense whatsoever. The fact the game got to the point of an onsides kick is part miracle and part USF being awful.

5) Again, this was a winnable game (as was Boise) but to me as far as our program goes seeing process improvement is critical. Because we somehow managed to only lose by 3 to a bad team because we gave up on our offensive gameplan doesn't inspire confidence.

6) Something bizarre is going on with the QB situation, with Boyle's injury and the walk on not being at the game. It's inexplicable.

But yeah, keep bringing up boxing matches from 40 years ago and anecdotes about 1980's Seton Hall basketball.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score

The bulk of the brilliant minds on this board have already seen enough to determine that Diaco is among the worst hires ever. After all (and I really need someone to map out how this works) it is better to lost 28-0 but have a only a 90% chance of losing than to lose by a field goal but have a 95% chance of losing. Granted, I haven't attended a Mensa gathering in a few years and it has been more than a decade since I attended regularly but I may need to hit one up again to see that genius face to face.

I don't know if I'd be so bold as to admit I don't understand the concept of risk and reward.

Taking a riskier approach can increase both your upside (you know winning a game) and increase your downside (losing by more points) than a conservative approach.

Football games are binary outcomes with the invention of overtime. Just because you lost 17-14 it doesn't mean you gave yourself a better chance to win than a more aggressive approach that may lead to a larger margin of defeat if it doesn't work.

I can only hope you are just trolling rather than struggling with the concept. It's fairly simple.

Oh and congrats on the biggest strawman yet. So many posts calling Diaco one of the worst hires ever.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
There's a difference between pulling the goalie with 60 seconds left, and pulling him halfway through the 2nd period.

Well they weren't down the equivilant of one goal when they decided to retire the offense.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Some of the people on here remind me of my kids when they went to their first hockey game. UConn was down 4-3 with 1:30 to go and they pulled the goalie. The other team scored an empty netter with 15 seconds to play and my kids thought it was the dumbest decision they had ever seen...why would you lose 5-3 when you could have lost only 4-3? Diaco approached Friday's game like that...we're not going to be embarrassed in tomorrow's paper...17_14 looks much better than 27-14. He should talk to Cav about the concept of pulling the goalie some time. Sometimes it works, mostly it doesn't and sometimes it make the score even worse, but at least you took a shot.
BYU was exhibit A. Kicking a field goal to get double digit points...

Reaction Score

You've lost your mind. Nobody has claimed that Diaco is among the worst hire ever. If you want to continue to play Nelson and create Strawmen that's your business. But you've lost your mind.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I don't know if I'd be so bold as to admit I don't understand the concept of risk and reward.

Taking a riskier approach can increase both your upside (you know winning a game) and increase your downside (losing by more points) than a conservative approach.

Football games are binary outcomes with the invention of overtime. Just because you lost 17-14 it doesn't mean you gave yourself a better chance to win than a more aggressive approach that may lead to a larger margin of defeat if it doesn't work.

I can only hope you are just trolling rather than struggling with the concept. It's fairly simple.

Oh and congrats on the biggest strawman yet. So many posts calling Diaco one of the worst hires ever.

It is very easy to claim that we could have done better with x, y or z. Hell, someone could postulate that if we fielded five linemen and six running backs, continued running options from a wildcat (true wildcat, not GDL's version) and even threw in a few rugby plays with continual laterals as we moved the ball downfield we would have had a better chance at winning.

As far as risk/reward, educate me.

Show me a mathematical model, show me a chart, show me a table, show me something that demonstrates that by throwing more on Friday evening we actually may have had a chance at pulling out that game; keep in mind that you will need to factor in the questionable accuracy of our QB under the best conditions, the weather conditions of that game, the quality of offensive line play we had at our disposal and the effect additional pressure front the defense, a wet football (Danny Kannel, who actually played QB in that state would not stop commenting on that) and rain would have on the acuracy of our QB. Better yet, show me something, anything that provides mathematical proof of you assertion that the manner in which we played gave us a 5% chance of winning and something that shows similar prrof to your 10% assertion. You are the expert so this should not be a difficult task.

What gets me is that we lost by three points, on the road, in a venue where we've only won once, ever yet half the board is losing their f$&king minds.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom