Public Perception of the UConn Program | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Public Perception of the UConn Program

Status
Not open for further replies.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
As stated endless times… the marketing / merchandising dept at Uconn is pathetic. How is it that we can't get a Shabazz Napier jersey last year?? How is that possible?? In state? at the Co-Op? As mentioned here… i can go into any Champs and find UNC, Duke, Kentucky gear… and we can't even get a jersey of our 1st team all-American. Disgrace.
I'm going say it is dramatically improved. At least I now don't cringe when I see our commercial during games. "Great pick" wasn't all the great but the Uconn country with the guy in overalls was abysmal. I think their is a recognition of the need for quality marketing (long over due in a school with a pretty decent marketing program) and a concerted effort is being made to correct it. Fairly or unfairly, I credit Herbst. I think she's a pretty savvy lady and were lucky to have her.

Reaction Score
Duke's players have not played a single game, yet they are already assumed to be better than the reigning champions. .

Saying that the Duke game will give the first indication whether UConn is a legitimate threat to defend its title implies nothing about whether Duke or UConn is better, merely that Duke will be good enough that one might get a sense of how good UConn is from watching the two teams play. That you believe it is premised on an assumption that Duke is better and that you would write something so long based on that premise says a lot more about you than it does about the world in general.

Reaction Score
Saying that the Duke game will give the first indication whether UConn is a legitimate threat to defend its title implies nothing about whether Duke or UConn is better, merely that Duke will be good enough that one might get a sense of how good UConn is from watching the two teams play. That you believe it is premised on an assumption that Duke is better and that you would write something so long based on that premise says a lot more about you than it does about the world in general.

Well Dook IS ranked #3 after losing their best player (actually their 2 best players. Rodney Hood being the other) from a 1st round tourney exit team... so the media DOES assume they're better. They even got 1st place votes, even though they lost more games than UConn did last year... all based on guys who were playing in high school a few months ago.

Last edited:

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Timing is everything. I would have welcomed the OP ten, even five years ago. That's when there were problems. The last two years have seen a significant improvement in marketing the UConn brand. From the logo change (a smiling dog might be nostalgic to us, but this new logo will gain greater appeal among casual fans) to UConn vs. Connecticut because it isn't state specific, I believe the university has demonstrated some intelligent thought about marketing.

There are only two programs getting an inordinate amount of hype - Kentucky and Duke. That's a marketing strategy by ESPN to create some unity in a fragmented market. Those two programs have large followings to start with and have received a bump in viewership because of the hype. But a large number of successful programs besides UConn do not get this treatment. The argument about UConn's success is valid, but up until the last two championships for UConn, UNC, Michigan State, Florida and Arizona were some top programs that did not get any of the type of hype Kentucky and Duke are getting. And they had equal or greater success than Dickie V's Duke. It is the media, and not the universities, that dictates what the public receives.

Merchandising is relative to demand. As others have pointed out, JC was not a likable coach, the program was given a black eye with the APR situation (unfair in my opinion) and the university dropped the ball in generating a passionate fan base within it's own territory.

I'm very bullish about many things going on. The negativity is behind the university. KO and Diaco are likable and approachable, and the university is marketing itself quite professionally. They upgraded the media department. The promotional videos are significantly improved. They hired terrific interviewers that meet with the coaches and present these interviews to the fans. First night was electric and professional. They've pushed into Fairfield County with bb games and NYC with a football game at Yankee Stadium. They've upped the OOC schedule to reduce the impact of a weaker conference. And they are getting the students involved. This idea of having a practice for students is a wonderful step in the right direction to generate interest among passive students. I would guess that there is a long term plan to increase the student seating in venues once the university improves its funding from the media. For now it's important to get donors to contribute.

The women's bb program has enjoyed the largest national audience among women's college bb fans for some time now. I believe KO will be the ambassador to move the men's program in this direction. And don't discount Diaco. When he gets the football program turned around, the university will get a big bump with the media. I also believe the universities commitment on the academic side will have a big impact. We just have to be a little patient. Up until then I plan on wearing my UConn gear wherever I go. I wore a UConn sweatshirt at the North Carolina fair this weekend. I wanted to remind them that they were correct in advocating for UConn over Louisville.

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score

Your opinion of Duke's strength, based on absolutely zero minutes of gameplay or statistical evidence, shows the validity of my point. Last year, Duke had arguably the best scorer in the nation in Jabari Parker, that kid was an absolute stud. His sidekick, Rodney Hood, was also a legit lottery pick throughout the entire regular season. These two guys are now gone. So ignoring what recruits they have coming in, Duke is left with Rasheed Sulaimon, Amile Jefferson, the Plumlee no one cares about, and painfully underwhelming Quinn Cooke as their lead PG who as we have all seen is the position that dictates a teams success at the college level. Even Duke fans are have been disappointed by Cooke's performance at Duke the last three years. Duke lost more games than UConn last year, went into the tournament seeded 4 spots higher (3 vs 7), lost in the first round to Mercer, lost roughly 40% of its scoring to the draft (on a team that didnt seem to have much defensive aptitude), and now fills those positions with a group of 18 year old KIDS who were in high school drinking chocolate milk in the cafeteria just a few months ago. No analyst or sports writer in the nation has seen one single second of this current crop of "blue chippers" play against college bodies and defenses, yet they are the third best team in the nation in an almost unanimous fashion, even being egregious enough to give them multiple 1st place votes? How is my point here even remotely overblown or dramatized like you imply. Preseason polls in college basketball are absolutely meaningless and everyone knows it, which is why I am of the opinion that the champions should start the season at #1 or near the top, regardless of what talent turnover has occurred, because the fact is 3 weeks into the regular season the real rankings will begin to take shape and will correct themselves.

This treatment that Duke receives is exactly my point. I dont blame Duke in the slightest, in fact I envy their proactivity in the matter. Duke, over the last few decades under Coack K, has achieved an incredible amount of success that the program has never even come close to prior to K. So while winning championship after championship, what do they do? They invested heavily in their program and their image, creating this perception of perpetual "eliteness" and success, despite whether they have the #1 recruiting class coming in, or the #30th, doesnt matter, the general public sees a freshman walk out wearing a Duke uniform, and while knowing absolutely nothing about the kid or his accolades, assumes him to be one of the best in the nation. This is a common feature of all the great college sports programs in the nation, whether it be Texas, Alabama, Michigan, USC, Duke, UK, UNC, etc. And this is what UConn needs to do, in fact, this is what UConn should have started doing after our first title in '99 when things became real. Instead of sitting back with the "oh we have 4 titles, people know we are good already attitude", UConn, like Duke, should be investing heavily in its image and brand, so that when the current class of 2018 high school recruits are mulling over their offers, they image themselves being at the true center of the college basketball world while wearing the UConn blue, not waiting for a flashier program with a more dazzling image to come along so they can jump aboard. Right now UConn is the king of bringing under-recruited guys to the top of the totem pole, yet the truth is we cannot compete for recruits with the likes of the top programs (our recruiting statistics prove this), and as such we must make changes to remedy this. As for those who love our current model (which I do as well of course), we must not forget that our last two titles came in a major time of uncertainty and the pieces of our roster truly fell in place perfectly, it was almost divine. Yet their is nothing wrong with maintaining our current model while supplementing it with a few top recruits every couple years which will be sure fire studs, which Ollie in his time in the NBA has already shown a great eye for.

This isnt simply about self-promotion, this much like a new growing business or brand, you have a closing window of time while your product is on top to ensure that it stays there so that the "next new thing" doesnt come along and take your place. We must invest in our own future because the dividends will be invaluable in the future. In 10 years, God forbid we dont keep our current pace up, the general public's short term memory will not remember our great runs as fondly, but what will always last is that image of strength and greatness presented by the likes of Kentucky, Duke, Kansas, UNC who have established themselves properly so that no matter how many decades of mediocrity they suffer, they continue to get top talent and kids begging for offers. As much as I love this program we are far from this level, and all the factors mentioned throughout the thread like marketing, perception, PR, and keeping up with internet and fashion trends, as trivial as you may think they are, are pivotal to creating this image and ensuring our long lasting success.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I nominate BUHusky10 as the new best Uconnfan/boneyard poster. keep up the good work, you are absolutely right on all counts. The fact you have to even argue your points here is amazing.

Reaction Score
BU, I've read all of your posts in this thread and I still don't understand what you think UConn should do. Specifically. Not just 'get more shirts in stores' or 'get overrated like Duke'. What specifically do you suggest UConn should do to improve marketing and branding?

I have one very clear idea that I think we'd all agree would help - hire tcf, immediately.

But other than that I tend to agree with fleud's post above. So tell us specifically what measures you'd propose.

joober jones

Finally Non-Fat Guy
Reaction Score
I end up traveling around the country a good deal for work and really anywhere you go, you see the Duke/UNC/Kentucky stuff. However, the local colleges dominate over them, as they well should. For example, you should see how crazy people go over the Iowa State Cyclones. You can't even walk into a grocery store in Cedar Rapids without being slammed with Cyclones merchandise. I don't really know where I'm going with this so I'll end it here.

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
BU, I've read all of your posts in this thread and I still don't understand what you think UConn should do. Specifically. Not just 'get more shirts in stores' or 'get overrated like Duke'. What specifically do you suggest UConn should do to improve marketing and branding?

I have one very clear idea that I think we'd all agree would help - hire tcf, immediately.

But other than that I tend to agree with fleud's post above. So tell us specifically what measures you'd propose.

To start, let me say that things have changed in the last 2-3 years and improvements have been made. If I was in charge here are some changes I'd look into:

• Keep building on First Night in the direction established this year. Events like this are exclusive to the top programs, and UConn must be one of them. Upgrading lighting systems (this years projection system with the logo was a great start, and apparently the school is planning on a major lighting system upgrade within the next couple years), and the general aesthetic of Gampel and XL could use work. Gampel is a classic, but the seating and facilities including the locker rooms are only a few steps above high school gym quality (Champions Center helps alleviate this).
  • Increase the University's presence on the internet and social media in general. Hire actual video editors to produce our hype and promo videos that have been popping up lately in the last few years. If you noticed, in the last couple years they have improved exponentially (see: ) because the school actually contacted an actual production company, in my freshman year at UConn this department was primarily reserved for student interns/volunteers, which as you can expect you get what you pay for.
  • We are a 45 minute drive from ESPN, the self-proclaimed capital of sports coverage in the world, we NEED to take advantage of this. UConn cant maintain the Calhoun mentality when it came to the media and outsiders, gladly Ollie seems like the polar opposite on this front. We need to make sure ESPN treats our blue and white games and scrimmages like it does for UK, etc. Ollie and Geno should have their own monthly programs (I know Geno has one already) that ISNT on public access TV, this would actually be profitable for ESPN given a guarenteed base of viewers within their own state, but I understand this bullett point may not be as clear cut as I am making it, but proactivity is key, and I think Calhoun's abrasive nature made no one like ESPN or media want to associate much with the program, which as you all saw during CR, hurt us.
  • Stop treating the students, the programs most fanatic fans, as second class citizens in terms of seating. I know this isnt exclusive to UConn, but look at the student sections of schools like Duke, Michigan, Pitt, MSU. The students deserve at least one side of the lower bowl section, yet each year ti seems the student section has gotten smaller and farther from the action, especially at XL. Watching nationally televised games of UConn at XL or Duke/Michigan at home displays a clear gap. For Duke and Michigan for example, the crowd seen on the telecast is the students standing and screaming from start to finish, it gives an image of a much more diehard fanbase. At UConn these seats are reserved for donors and season ticket holders, which I absolutely understand from a business standpoint, yet with a program like UConn, it has been created from the ground up in the last quarter century almost exclusively by the Coaches, Players and the Students. I can understand a program like UNC putting their students in a baseline section, because with nearly a hundred years of history comes several generations of die hard fans, this is not so much the case at UConn.
  • Invest heavily in marketing and design. Many of our posters on the BY have complained about the new logo (which is that classic CT/UConn attitude that has prevailed for the last two decades), but the reality of the fact is that it is a major upgrade. 3rd party fans not associated with UConn around the country have seemed to strongly prefer the new logo and I dont blame them. It presents a more marketable, modern, and most importantly, professional image. The new logo is much more versatile for clothing and merchandise. In addition, the University needs to establish stronger relations with Nike, Champion, and other designers to improve its branding quality. Just by a simple search for "UConn shirt" on amazon you see a wide range of products with almost ZERO uniformity across logos, designs, styles, or even colors for god sake. Here is an example of a shirt design from the late '90s to early '00s: http://www.amazon.com/Uconn-Huskies-T-shirt-Ladies-Athletic/dp/B00GW56MG8/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&qid=1414470240&sr=8-10&keywords=uconn shirt , if you were a current student, would you want to wear that? Here is an example of one of the rare new designs that we actually can purchase that show some improvement: http://www.fanatics.com/COLLEGE_UConn_Huskies/UConn_Huskies_Thriller_II_Pullover_Hoodie_-_Navy_Blue . There is a huge difference in style and aesthetic.
  • Just look at Amazon's (the largest online retailer on earth) inventory of UConn products, it is pathetic, I wouldnt order a single item here even if they were free of charge: http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=uconn shirt .
  • And here is the same search but for UK: http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=university of kentucky&rh=i:aps,k:university of kentucky
  • These design improvements require working with distributors to make sure that our apparel is sold in retailers across the country, alongside the products from UK, Duke, ND, UNC, etc who are now, without a doubt our peers on a performance level. This establishes a legitimacy to the consumer, especially those far from UConn. There is no reason UConn cant use this opportunity to create a base of fans across the country who simply root for UConn because they are David to the Goliaths (big time programs), we exhibit a blue-collar attitude at UConn and impartial fans really love that, time to cash in and make them speak with their wallets.
  • All these improvements will result in greater perception from those outside of the program, which is the main person this entire post is regarding. Of course every member of this board loves UConn and is loyal no matter what, but the truth of the matter is that Connecticut is a small state that cannot simply support a program of this size with in state fans. We need to expand outside of the Northeast and attract a certain breed of viewer, much like the stereotype of Duke fans often not having gone to Duke but because they are a program that exhibits an air of wealth, upper class White mentality, we can find our niche as well nationally, it all starts with branding.

Last edited:

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
because they are "blue blood"
and they recruit "blue chip" players

we're just "blue collar", we work to succeed and that works well for us

let them have all the hype in November & December, by March the wheels have fallen off. At the end of the day, the name on your shirt doesn't win championships, the players who are best prepared do.

I love being who we are, the fans that get to laugh last. Wouldn't trade that for anything (especially a bunch of one and done players not even the student body gets to know, never mind the fan base. They have a student life of about 9 months)

WE ARE UCONN, and nobody else is

Reaction Score

My answer to this question would be:
1. Increase the commitment to making Storrs a 1st rate university town by careful planning and development. Make the environs look and feel like (as an example) West Hartford center, with a mix of retail, restaurants, bars and abundant parking, much of it hidden behind buildings or in parking garages. West Hartford center is only an example. Kierland Commons in Scottsdale, AZ (where we stayed for the Fiesta Bowl) is another such place: open air, youthful, outdoor dining, etc. You should be able to do this in a university town where you have thousands of students and university employees. They have started this process in Storrs, but it needs to be accelerated and continued.

2. The state should make commitments to research facilities and high tech around Storrs. Like a Jackson Labs. They should give tax breaks, and zoning variances to business to get it there to model the research triangle around Raleigh, NC.

3. Continue to fund the expansion of university departments by bringing in the best talent among professors/researchers by paying them the best salaries. Susan has certainly begun that process, but the state has to buy in and make sure the dollars are there. This can't just be talk, we have to pay the salaries and fund the research.

As stated, Uconn is doing all of this in greater or lesser degrees, but we are so far behind our target peer group (UMich, UNC, Virginia, etc.) that we have to work doubly hard to make up lost ground. I would have a 3 year plan.

Reaction Score
because they are "blue blood"
and they recruit "blue chip" players

we're just "blue collar", we work to succeed and that works well for us

let them have all the hype in November & December, by March the wheels have fallen off. At the end of the day, the name on your shirt doesn't win championships, the players who are best prepared do.

I love being who we are, the fans that get to laugh last. Wouldn't trade that for anything (especially a bunch of one and done players not even the student body gets to know, never mind the fan base. They have a student life of about 9 months)

WE ARE UCONN, and nobody else is

This is exactly the attitude the OP claims has done us harm over the last 5-10 years.

The underdog/blue-collar chatter is great when it's a bunch of UConn fans holed up in a bunker. But it is an inescapable fact that such an attitude is detrimental to our desire to stake a claim to "big time" college athletics. The P5 has no use for an insular fan base that doesn't move the needle beyond our small hamlet -- to say that you actively want to avoid being a nationally-renowned program screams "small time".

ctchamps

Reaction Score
To start, let me say that things have changed in the last 2-3 years and improvements have been made. If I was in charge here are some changes I'd look into:

• Keep building on First Night in the direction established this year. Events like this are exclusive to the top programs, and UConn must be one of them. Upgrading lighting systems (this years projection system with the logo was a great start, and apparently the school is planning on a major lighting system upgrade within the next couple years), and the general aesthetic of Gampel and XL could use work. Gampel is a classic, but the seating and facilities including the locker rooms are only a few steps above high school gym quality (Champions Center helps alleviate this).
  • Increase the University's presence on the internet and social media in general. Hire actual video editors to produce our hype and promo videos that have been popping up lately in the last few years. If you noticed, in the last couple years they have improved exponentially (see: ) because the school actually contacted an actual production company, in my freshman year at UConn this department was primarily reserved for student interns/volunteers, which as you can expect you get what you pay for.
  • We are a 45 minute drive from ESPN, the self-proclaimed capital of sports coverage in the world, we NEED to take advantage of this. UConn cant maintain the Calhoun mentality when it came to the media and outsiders, gladly Ollie seems like the polar opposite on this front. We need to make sure ESPN treats our blue and white games and scrimmages like it does for UK, etc. Ollie and Geno should have their own monthly programs (I know Geno has one already) that ISNT on public access TV, this would actually be profitable for ESPN given a guarenteed base of viewers within their own state, but I understand this bullett point may not be as clear cut as I am making it, but proactivity is key, and I think Calhoun's abrasive nature made no one like ESPN or media want to associate much with the program, which as you all saw during CR, hurt us.
  • Stop treating the students, the programs most fanatic fans, as second class citizens in terms of seating. I know this isnt exclusive to UConn, but look at the student sections of schools like Duke, Michigan, Pitt, MSU. The students deserve at least one side of the lower bowl section, yet each year ti seems the student section has gotten smaller and farther from the action, especially at XL. Watching nationally televised games of UConn at XL or Duke/Michigan at home displays a clear gap. For Duke and Michigan for example, the crowd seen on the telecast is the students standing and screaming from start to finish, it gives an image of a much more diehard fanbase. At UConn these seats are reserved for donors and season ticket holders, which I absolutely understand from a business standpoint, yet with a program like UConn, it has been created from the ground up in the last quarter century almost exclusively by the Coaches, Players and the Students. I can understand a program like UNC putting their students in a baseline section, because with nearly a hundred years of history comes several generations of die hard fans, this is not so much the case at UConn.
  • Invest heavily in marketing and design. Many of our posters on the BY have complained about the new logo (which is that classic CT/UConn attitude that has prevailed for the last two decades), but the reality of the fact is that it is a major upgrade. 3rd party fans not associated with UConn around the country have seemed to strongly prefer the new logo and I dont blame them. It presents a more marketable, modern, and most importantly, professional image. The new logo is much more versatile for clothing and merchandise. In addition, the University needs to establish stronger relations with Nike, Champion, and other designers to improve its branding quality. Just by a simple search for "UConn shirt" on amazon you see a wide range of products with almost ZERO uniformity across logos, designs, styles, or even colors for god sake. Here is an example of a shirt design from the late '90s to early '00s: http://www.amazon.com/Uconn-Huskies-T-shirt-Ladies-Athletic/dp/B00GW56MG8/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&qid=1414470240&sr=8-10&keywords=uconn shirt , if you were a current student, would you want to wear that? Here is an example of one of the rare new designs that we actually can purchase that show some improvement: http://www.fanatics.com/COLLEGE_UConn_Huskies/UConn_Huskies_Thriller_II_Pullover_Hoodie_-_Navy_Blue . There is a huge difference in style and aesthetic.
  • Just look at Amazon's (the largest online retailer on earth) inventory of UConn products, it is pathetic, I wouldnt order a single item here even if they were free of charge: http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=uconn shirt .
  • And here is the same search but for UK: http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=university of kentucky&rh=i:aps,k:university of kentucky
  • These design improvements require working with distributors to make sure that our apparel is sold in retailers across the country, alongside the products from UK, Duke, ND, UNC, etc who are now, without a doubt our peers on a performance level. This establishes a legitimacy to the consumer, especially those far from UConn. There is no reason UConn cant use this opportunity to create a base of fans across the country who simply root for UConn because they are David to the Goliaths (big time programs), we exhibit a blue-collar attitude at UConn and impartial fans really love that, time to cash in and make them speak with their wallets.
  • All these improvements will result in greater perception from those outside of the program, which is the main person this entire post is regarding. Of course every member of this board loves UConn and is loyal no matter what, but the truth of the matter is that Connecticut is a small state that cannot simply support a program of this size with in state fans. We need to expand outside of the Northeast and attract a certain breed of viewer, much like the stereotype of Duke fans often not having gone to Duke but because they are a program that exhibits an air of wealth, upper class White mentality, we can find our niche as well nationally, it all starts with branding.

Nice write up. I have no contention with anything you are specifically addressing. As I stated in my previous post, this administration has been addressing these issues quite well over the past two years. There are some things you and I might want to see addressed quicker, such as the student seating, but pragmatically the university may have to delay those type of changes you advocate.

As far as merchandising, it was discussed in another thread in detail, and I expressed the gist of that thread. UConn is locked in a deal. That deal has positives and negatives. When the next contract comes up I'm sure more of the negatives (things you point out) will be addressed depending, of course, how much leverage the university has. What will give the university leverage? Success in athletics and academics.

Reaction Score
Your opinion of Duke's strength, based on absolutely zero minutes of gameplay or statistical evidence, shows the validity of my point.

I never expressed any opinion at all about Duke's strength, which demonstrates the validity of my original point: you infer things that are neither expressed nor implied for reasons that I don't understand.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
This is exactly the attitude the OP claims has done us harm over the last 5-10 years.

The underdog/blue-collar chatter is great when it's a bunch of UConn fans holed up in a bunker. But it is an inescapable fact that such an attitude is detrimental to our desire to stake a claim to "big time" college athletics. The P5 has no use for an insular fan base that doesn't move the needle beyond our small hamlet -- to say that you actively want to avoid being a nationally-renowned program screams "small time".
I'd like to fine tune this. I'd love to see UConn get a lot more recognition nationally. I'd love to see fans asking for UConn apparel in other regions besides the CT market. But I don't ever want UConn to be a pawn of media hype. That's as destructive as it is constructive.

Most Duke fans currently hate the treatment ESPN gives Duke. At first they loved it. It gave recruiting advantages and stroked their egos to have that recognition. But that love affair soon turned into a liability. Most college fans love to hate Duke. That program became a pariah, because most fans recognized the unfairness in the way they were treated by ESPN.

Kentucky is now going through the same process. They are becoming the program people love to hate. And my bet is that the country will go for the Kentucky jugular much quicker and stronger than it would ever do to Duke if things unwind. I base this projection on the differences between the way the two head coaches comport themselves.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
I don't think you can be up there like UNC, Duke & Kentucky without some resentment

ctchamps

Reaction Score
I don't think you can be up there like UNC, Duke & Kentucky without some resentment
Yes those down the ladder hate those above them. Live in ACC territory. Duke and UNC are on two different levels of hate by a vast margin.

Reaction Score
The word adnauseam is used adnauseam on this board. Hey mommy I know a big word, ill use it every chance i get so people can think im smart.[/QUOTE
It's actually ad Nauseum ,or to be correct aurgumentum ad Nausseum.
Which literally means if you repeat the same bull often enough the guliable will believe it's true.
Latin was a great language for its ability to call-out in short phrases a fairly complex thought.

Reaction Score
You were right then and you are right again now. Most people would look at something like this and say, who cares. Or, hey, we like being the blue collar underdog. While this and the ESPN Top 25 thing are relatively irrelevant, they aren't totally irrelevant. While a potential recruit won't make a decision based on one stupid Parrish article, if they read it, it will have a small subconscious impact. Taken in isolation, it is no big deal. But take 5, 10, 15 or 20 silly things like this and it starts to create a perception trend in the subconscious of anyone reading them. That could be a potential recruit or it could be someone who decides the programming schedule for a network. If those people make a decision based on that perception, perception becomes reality...a self-fulfilling prophecy of sorts.

As much as people want to say Parrish is an irrelevant zit, this crap actually does matter and it should be addressed. Parrish clearly has a bug up his arse regarding UConn so there is no fixing him. But positive stories can be written to neutralize these stories.

Reaction Score
I'd like to go on record saying UConn will have a better next 5 years than at least half the teams on this list.

I'll go one better and say UConn will have a better next 5 years than at least 2 of the top 5 in that ridiculous article.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom