Public Perception of the UConn Program | The Boneyard

Public Perception of the UConn Program

Status
Not open for further replies.

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
First off, let me start by saying nothing pleases me more than watching the UConn men prove doubters wrong and make deep runs that make every other fan base jealous and bitter. Yet this program of our, despite having won 4 national championships in the last 15 years, a feat that can be rivaled only by the likes of Wooden+UCLA and Duke in the early 90's, is seriously lacking in an important department. Despite all this massive success, the program has a massive gap between actual performance on the court, and the perception of the program in the eyes of the impartial national viewer of the game. Despite showing absolutely zero signs of slowing down on a national level, UConn is still continually slept on, and at some point this disparity must be shown to originate internally from the program's directors itself.

What really set me off on this issue recently was this article ranking the top OOC matchups for this upcoming season (http://www.sbnation.com/college-bas...l-best-non-conference-games-preview-2014-2015). It ranked the Duke vs UConn matchup in December as the 6th best overall OOC matchup of this upcoming season, a fair assessment in its own right, yet the description contains this very lack of perception of power I described earlier:

6. Duke vs. Connecticut (Dec. 18)

This will be our first real indication as to whether or not a Shabazz-less UConn is a legitimate threat to defend its national championship.

Why? Why must the reigning national champions have to prove themselves against Duke of all teams. Why are we, a team that just won a championship in stunning and spectacularly convincing fashion while returning talented leaders as well as top incoming talent, have to prove our entire worth for this upcoming seasons hopes, against a Duke team that dropped several games in the regular season, lost to Mercer in the first round, and sent its 2 best players including a generational talent in Parker who essentially carried their team all year. I understand Duke is bringing in another loaded recruiting class including Okafor, but come on. Duke's heralded recruits have not played a single game at the college level yet, we have no idea how they cope with college size and speed, or even how their chemistry will work out. Yet despite all this, we need to prove we are legit this upcoming season against them.

This is all an indirect result of a program's perception of eliteness or whatever you choose to call it. At the college level, there is so much turnover season to season with incoming recruits, transfers, and players leaving for the NBA that only the most hardcore follower of the game can have any hope to have a good idea of the national landscape of teams, especially preseason. Yet programs like UK, KU, UNC, Duke continue to get these "benefits of the doubt" from journalists and sports analysts everywhere. Why? Because they have built a perception of excellence in the minds of the viewers through excellent marketing and positioning of their "brand" on the national level.

Lets take a step back now. UConn, while winning at the rate of a clear-cut Top 5 program over the past 25 years, has a serious lack of this marketing of its "brand", and I have begun to put the blame of this on the hands of the program's various administrators (not Coaches, very important). For example, go to any Champs, Foot Locker, or Dicks sporting goods store in CT and see what you find. I personally was at Champs in Westfarms Mall in Farmington a few weeks ago and browsed their college basketball clothing section. What do you see? Duke, UNC, ND, Ohio State, and Texas gear as far as the eye can see. Meanwhile there was only a single UConn branded t-shirt on a separate rack, and this is IN THE STATE OF CONNECTICUT! If you dont market your brand in your own state, how do you expect it to be perceived outside of CT. Many of you may roll your eyes at this but its more psychologically relevant than you may think. People across the country walk into a store and see the clothing of the blue bloods despite them being hundreds of miles away and that subconsciously means something to them. It shows national reach, a perception of strength and "eliteness". Everyone who knows anything about the current business world and marketing in general knows that you "dont sell the steak, you sell the sizzle". Look at Apple or Beats Headphones products for example, they are far from being the best on the market, with competitors having better and cheaper alternatives, yet despite this people are still lining up to buy these overpriced items due to the clear "perception of quality" that they exhibit far better than the rest.

There have been several threads just on the Boneyard over the past year claiming that there is a serious lack of UConn branded apparel and products anywhere, even the damn internet, and even more so with the new logo. Apparel sites host several different program's items in the latest styles depending on whats popular at the moment, yet UConn is never anywhere to be found despite being one of the most well recognized names in the game. Guys at UConn's marketing department like Kyle Muncey make excuses and claims about UConn's apparel being worked on but tis all BS. This University has been too successful, and simply put, dominant to not take advantage of this opportunity we have been given thanks to the great coaches and athletes that have come through this program. If this issue of marketing and perception is not changed or corrected in any way, what happens when we have a string of bad season, like a 5 year down period. Especially in a shithole conference like the AAC, this would create a dangerous situation for the program as it slips out of the limelight, like we all saw happening after the postseason ban and conference realignment (thank you Shabazz). Making these moves on the national stage needs to happen to ensure the programs continues success throughout the foreseeable future.

Thankfully, I do see some signs of positive change. For example, First Night this year was great, exactly what it needed to be from day one. In the past it was pep rally of sorts with basic introductions and thats it, but this year there was electricity in the air, new lighting, projections, music, and an air of hype about the incoming season. Recruits see these things whether you like it or not, and it has brought success to programs like UK, look at what Cal has done simply by creating this environment of energy and hype that is at this point perpetuating itself regardless of the outcome of the season on the court.

Anyway thanks for listening, this has been brewing in my head for some time now but I finally decided to make the post while procrastinating with my studies. Please discuss and tell me why you think I hate UConn (which I genuinely dont, in fact its one of my greatest joys and source of pride).

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
Why? Why must the reigning national champions have to prove themselves against Duke of all teams.
Because we lost three of our four best players (arguably 4 of 6) and, save for 2000, we've always sucked defending a title.

Duke's not as good as they're billed, but they're still really freaking good. It's a great test and one that should, as the writer said, be a strong data point on the "Can UConn repeat?" query.

Don't be so think-skinned. It's ridiculous.

BUConn10

Reaction Score
The Duke matchup article was just an example of perception in the media. Duke's players have not played a single game, yet they are already assumed to be better than the reigning champions. Why can UK bring in all these one and dones like in 2013, and lose in the first round of the NIT, yet still have every writer forget that embarrassment and crown them the de-facto #1 team the next season, and even go as far as label them "the greatest team ever" despite what just happened (this is only for 2013-14 as well, this current season repeated this very cycle of UK, their new team is now the NEW greatest team ever). There is a pattern with the programs that get this form of treatment, and its not just talk, these things affect seeding and recruiting heavily.

Reaction Score
^^^^^
I don't think calling a well thought out post "ridiculous" adds to the intellectual stimulation this board is renown for. Yes, of course some will argue this issue has been addressed adnauseam BUT not in such detail accompanied with some fact based analysis.

JWILLDADDY101

Sailor2013
Reaction Score
I hate Duke as much or more than anyone. I prefer we lay low and not get the hype they receive. I think it works against the dukies every year when they are pretty much overrated. It will take a little time for chemistry to make this unit click but, all the indications are that everything is in place for another run. Looking forward to watching and riding the wave. Don't lose faith. It doesn't matter at all what Dukie V and all the pundits say....it's rather delicious watching them backtrack and fumble around like drunks at the end....when we rise to the top. Keep the faith friend.

Reaction Score
The Duke matchup article was just an example of perception in the media. Duke's players have not played a single game, yet they are already assumed to be better than the reigning champions. Why can UK bring in all these one and dones like in 2013, and lose in the first round of the NIT, yet still have every writer forget that embarrassment and crown them the de-facto #1 team the next season, and even go as far as label them "the greatest team ever" despite what just happened (this is only for 2013-14 as well, this current season repeated this very cycle of UK, their new team is now the NEW greatest team ever). There is a pattern with the programs that get this form of treatment, and its not just talk, these things affect seeding and recruiting heavily.

It is like the Wall Street crook Kentucky with a slime ball Wolf of Wall Street coach

vs.

The Hungry Huskies

BUConn10

Reaction Score
I hate Duke as much or more than anyone. I prefer we lay low and not get the hype they receive. I think it works against the dukies every year when they are pretty much overrated. It will take a little time for chemistry to make this unit click but, all the indications are that everything is in place for another run. Looking forward to watching and riding the wave. Don't lose faith. It doesn't matter at all what Dukie V and all the pundits say....it's rather delicious watching them backtrack and fumble around like drunks at the end....when we rise to the top. Keep the faith friend.

I agree, its very nice to see the team earn its respect every year, but at some point things need to change. This program is no longer the "cinderella", "middle-of-rural CT, against all odds" type story that we became in the early 90's. Those days are over, at some point you must break out of your mold into something bigger. These factors I outlined are all essential in today's young, internet age, especially for recruiting. Being stuck in the AAC, we need every advantage we can get on these fronts, and recruits do take notice, do not be fooled that Twitter is just some fad. When recruits flip on ESPN and see Drake performing at Big Blue Madness, then walk into their favorite clothing store and see UK/Duke/KU gear on every shelf they are actively making their school lists. Top prospects want to go somewhere where they are noticed, and being noticed entails being active in the marketplace nationally, not just sitting back and waiting for magical runs by our incredible student-athletes. UConn needs to make its own path and stop letting just championships do the talking for them, because those do not last forever, no matter how spoiled we have all become by their success over the last 25 years.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Because we lost three of our four best players (arguably 4 of 6) and, save for 2000, we've always sucked defending a title.

Duke's not as good as they're billed, but they're still really freaking good. It's a great test and one that should, as the writer said, be a strong data point on the "Can UConn repeat?" query.

Don't be so think-skinned. It's ridiculous.
Think-skinned?
I don't feel BUHusky was being thin skinned or defensive-reactive and expressing his feelings.
UConn lost much as did Duke and the game is a test but I feel the test is more for Duke-can they be competitive on the floor with a team who has shown success via deep tourney runs with personnel not made up of several McD AAs.
The merchandise situation is something that has been addressed for years on the BY

BUConn10

Reaction Score
Think-skinned?
I don't feel BUHusky was being thin skinned or defensive-reactive and expressing his feelings.
UConn lost much as did Duke and the game is a test but I feel the test is more for Duke-can they be competitive on the floor with a team who has shown success via deep tourney runs with personnel not made up of several McD AAs.
The merchandise situation is something that has been addressed for years on the BY

Merchandise is only one side of the situation, these things all fit together like puzzle pieces of the "bigger picture".

BUConn10

Reaction Score
Look at what programs like Oregon have turned themselves into in todays age. OU has nothing on the other great programs it is tiered with in terms of winning and culture, yet look what they are doing. Simply because they have taken advantage of their connections with Nike, a marketing behemoth, and essentially "manufactured" their own image which is undeniably favorable to recruits (by staying up to date with the times around them, and marketing themselves phenomenally with their designs and new uniforms daily, etc), and they show that by the top tier talent they get years. Guys literally beg for offers from OU, and its all about this perception, because it sure as hell isnt the appeal of living in Eugene, the programs .582 all time win %, 40 year period with no conference titles, or their whopping 0 national championships in their history

patrick

Hurley4#6
Reaction Score
Because the next season they have ALL NEW PLAYERS..... that are McDonald's all Americans!

BUConn10

Reaction Score
My recent post in the "Pistons Building a Future Around Drummond" thread regarding Embiid's perception by NBA scouts over Drummond despite them both being raw, 18 year old centers with near identical numbers also applies to this argument.

Reactions: caw
Reaction Score

Merchandise is only one side of the situation, these things all fit together like puzzle pieces of the "bigger picture".
Look at what programs like Oregon have turned themselves into in todays age. OU has nothing on the other great programs it is tiered with in terms of winning and culture, yet look what they are doing. Simply because they have taken advantage of their connections with Nike, a marketing behemoth, and essentially "manufactured" their own image which is undeniably favorable to recruits (by staying up to date with the times around them, and marketing themselves phenomenally with their designs and new uniforms daily, etc), and they show that by the top tier talent they get years. Guys literally beg for offers from OU, and its all about this perception, because it sure as hell isnt the appeal of living in Eugene, the programs .582 all time win %, 40 year period with no conference titles, or their whopping 0 national championships in their history

Why would you choose Oregon basketball as the quintessential program to emulate?

Guys beg for offers? Sure guys looking for a 2nd chance and other miscreants. The marketing arm is strong but it hasn't translated to basketball.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/06/23/oregon-s e xual-assault-basketball-players_n_5522915.html

BUConn10

Reaction Score
Why would you choose Oregon basketball as the quintessential program to emulate?

Guys beg for offers? Sure guys looking for a 2nd chance and other miscreants. The marketing arm is strong but it hasn't translated to basketball.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/06/23/oregon-s e xual-assault-basketball-players_n_5522915.html

Just because the program doesn't care about the character of the players it brings into the program does not make my point any less true. One can have the draw and allure to recruits and simply choose to select the better character players from the bunch, they are not exclusive to each other.

Reaction Score
Just because the program doesn't care about the character of the players it brings into the program does not make my point any less true. One can have the draw and allure to recruits and simply choose to select the better character players from the bunch, they are not exclusive to each other.

What players at Oregon are you referring to as it relates to recruiting for basketball? How has it translated on the court? That is the basketball court not the judicial system. Altman has 1 Sweet16 in 4 years but this year it will be NIT. What does his 2015 class look like? If it is strong so he can reverse what appears to be an imminent downward trend then your point has validity. What does 2015 look like. I haven't checked.

I understand your thought process though from your original SH post.

Last edited:

BUConn10

Reaction Score
What players at Oregon are you referring to as it relates to recruiting for basketball? How has it translated on the court? That is the basketball court not the judicial system. Altman has 1 Sweet16 in 4 years but this year it will be NIT. What does his 2015 class look like? If it is strong so he can reverse what appears to be an imminent downward trend then your point has validity. What does 2015 look like. I haven't checked.

I understand your thought process though from your original SH post.

Sorry I should have specified, in this instance I am referring to how Oregon FOOTBALL has used this type of marketing and manufacturing of hype to essentially turn its program from mid-level Pac12 to perennial contender in college football, which is arguably more difficult to break into the ranks of the elite than basketball.

caw

Reaction Score
My recent post in the "Pistons Building a Future Around Drummond" thread regarding Embiid's perception by NBA scouts over Drummond despite them both being raw, 18 year old centers with near identical numbers also applies to this argument.

It is kind of amazing how differently the spin was on the two. Embiid has a pretty serious injury and still goes top 3, Drummond is perfectly healthy and drops to 9. I understand not taking Drummond #1 (like Embiid would have been if healthy) bc of Davis but he shouldn't have dropped further than 3.

BUConn10

Reaction Score
It is kind of amazing how differently the spin was on the two. Embiid has a pretty serious injury and still goes top 3, Drummond is perfectly healthy and drops to 9. I understand not taking Drummond #1 (like Embiid would have been if healthy) bc of Davis but he shouldn't have dropped further than 3.

Agreed, and it all leads back to my original point. People look at UConn and see "cinderella" in many cases when in reality they are so far from that. So these same people cannot fathom how a prospect like Drummond is better than a pro prospect from the holy Kansas. A bad season for UConn = they are done, end of the run, time to come back to earth (and subsequently the players are looked at the same way). While a bad season for KU = simple issue with chemistry, these guys are all Top 20 recruits so they will excel in the league or next year when KU inevitably reloads, or something along those lines of BS.

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
Two things come to mind.

1) We haven't dominated the regular season since 2006. Being in the top 10 all season long and talked about consistently makes a huge difference. You aren't going to see a ton of coverage on ESPN when the number 22 team beats an unranked team, but you will see some hype when a #3 UNC/Duke/KY team blows out an unranked team. If you want exposure, you have to be someone people are talking about. While you can make an argument that Duke, KY etc. are overranked to start the season and that's why they get the attention, we haven't done enough to move up all season to take some of that thunder. Losing games in Texas hurt us tremendously last year in terms of being talked about. Win those two and we are top 10/15 all season and we get more hype. We're starting the season at 15. We have to move that up and maintain and we'll get more attention.

2) Even though we have 4 national championships, we have only 5 final fours. It's the same as the argument above. You have to make noise every year to get that kind of attention. You have to make the tournament in 9 out of 10 years and be a top 4 seed in order to get attention. We have this weird thing going where we only make it 3 out of 4 years and one of those three, we're not near the top even if we make good runs. While the 8-9 game may be the most competitive of first round (now second), the prime time is the top 4 teams in what is usually a blow out. And then you have to get to the final weekend to get a lot of attention. Duke, UNC, KY and MSU have been getting further more often in the last 25 years. That draws attention.

So to summarize - if we want to break into (or back into) the best programs on earth, we have to have way better regular seasons, make the NCAA every year and have deep runs more often (even if we tend to win it when we have a deep run). Otherwise, we just won't be seen as one of best programs out there.

Oh - we also have to start putting more impact players into the NBA. We have a lot and a few really good ones, but Kemba and Napier aren't making an all star game anytime soon. Drummond will help here. Hopefully some of the current studs will help more.

BUConn10

Reaction Score
Two things come to mind.

1) We haven't dominated the regular season since 2006. Being in the top 10 all season long and talked about consistently makes a huge difference. You aren't going to see a ton of coverage on ESPN when the number 22 team beats an unranked team, but you will see some hype when a #3 UNC/Duke/KY team blows out an unranked team. If you want exposure, you have to be someone people are talking about. While you can make an argument that Duke, KY etc. are overranked to start the season and that's why they get the attention, we haven't done enough to move up all season to take some of that thunder. Losing games in Texas hurt us tremendously last year in terms of being talked about. Win those two and we are top 10/15 all season and we get more hype. We're starting the season at 15. We have to move that up and maintain and we'll get more attention.

2) Even though we have 4 national championships, we have only 5 final fours. It's the same as the argument above. You have to make noise every year to get that kind of attention. You have to make the tournament in 9 out of 10 years and be a top 4 seed in order to get attention. We have this weird thing going where we only make it 3 out of 4 years and one of those three, we're not near the top even if we make good runs. While the 8-9 game may be the most competitive of first round (now second), the prime time is the top 4 teams in what is usually a blow out. And then you have to get to the final weekend to get a lot of attention. Duke, UNC, KY and MSU have been getting further more often in the last 25 years. That draws attention.

So to summarize - if we want to break into (or back into) the best programs on earth, we have to have way better regular seasons, make the NCAA every year and have deep runs more often (even if we tend to win it when we have a deep run). Otherwise, we just won't be seen as one of best programs out there.

Oh - we also have to start putting more impact players into the NBA. We have a lot and a few really good ones, but Kemba and Napier aren't making an all star game anytime soon. Drummond will help here. Hopefully some of the current studs will help more.

I get what you're saying but I cant tell if you are trolling when you mentioned impact players in the NBA. Just prior to the onslaught of UK players flooding the league thanks to Cal and the OAD monopoly (players that SHOULD get drafted whether they go to UK or App State), UConn was second only to Duke in terms of player contracts currently in the league, somewhere around $890 Million. Do you think those contracts were given out based on scratch tickets? Those players we put in the league played their assess off and earned those contracts based on their performance, nothing else. To say UConn hasnt had an impact on the league is foolish. Despite having had 8 McD AAs in the history of the program we have had over two dozen first round picks, including 13 lottery picks; UConn is considered a Top 5 NBA talent pipeline in the league, and I follow the NBA just as closely as I do CBB. The names that have come out of the program over the last quarter century can NOT BE MATCHED BY ANYONE, and I truly mean that: Allen, Hamilton, Smith, Butler, Okafor, Gordon, Gay, Walker, Drummond, Lamb, Napier all guys who have NBA Starter potential up to All-Star potential as well as two or three hall of fame names. This point is completely foolish.

Second, I do agree with our lack of regular season dominance to a degree. Its true UConn often loses games they should win in the regular season, but that happens to many top programs and things dont change for them in terms of perception/attention. In the last 25 seasons, UConn has been a #1 or #2 seed 11 times! That does not simply happen by luck or accident, getting top seeding requires dominance throughout the entirety of the season (in comparison UNC also has 11, and Duke, UK, and KU only have a few more, with KU leading at 16 #1/2 seeds over the same period). So it isnt like we are 5 seeds every year and then blast though the tournament.

I would argue that your personal weakened perception of the very team YOU root for is partially to blame by the very issue I am bringing up. We lose regular season games but not much more so than the elite competition we hold company with, while they get the lion's share of attention and reputation.

Reaction Score
actually in 2009 we dominated quite a bit of the year until dyson goes down we were arguably the best team in the nation.
Two things come to mind.

q

Reaction Score
I went through the hassle of logging in because this post deserves a like. I wish you mentioned that we are practically down the street from ESPN yet feels as if we are across the country. Someone send this to the people responsible for Uconn branding.

Reaction Score
^^^^^
I don't think calling a well thought out post "ridiculous" adds to the intellectual stimulation this board is renown for. Yes, of course some will argue this issue has been addressed adnauseam BUT not in such detail accompanied with some fact based analysis.
The word adnauseam is used adnauseam on this board. Hey mommy I know a big word, ill use it every chance i get so people can think im smart.

Reaction Score
I always thought that it was two words: Ad Nauseam.
Im not sure since i like to use normal words like redundant or constantly..ask the blue guy since he uses it every ninth post.

Sorry, just a pet peeve of mine when people try too hard...its like when u ask someone how they are doing you have to respond grammaticaly correct with a response using the word well. I might be looked down upon if i say im doing good...stuck up try hards

I went a little off topic but yes we need more respect than what we have been given

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom