Projecting Gabby | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Projecting Gabby

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
badasses are very volatile, by definition. They gain reputations with the ref community and draw phantom fouls. A badass is the antithesis of Geno's definition of what it is to be a Husky. But, then, maybe I don't understand what a badass is :oops::rolleyes:
Maybe you should box a couple rounds with Napheesa and maybe she would 'splain it to you.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Maybe you should box a couple rounds with Napheesa and maybe she would 'splain it to you.

Nah. I will throw down the gauntlet and choose Natalie as my Champion! I do get your point ... Maya badassed Syracuse pretty good a while back, but I still prefer the cold blood assassin analogy to what it is that UConn greats do to those who would get dirty with them. Just like Stewie handled the surreptitious elbow to the gut in the SC game last Feb. 9.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
We've had a lot of discussion about Collier over the last day because of you guys. We all came away wondering what makes you all so sure she's the real deal and more ready to contribute from day 1? We aren't bashing you. Legit question.
For me her games for USA basketball remind me so much of a healthy Morgan - capable of contributing all over the floor on offense and defense. Maybe a 'quieter' game than a Stewart or KLS that sort of scream out at you, but 'who just got that offensive rebound, or defense stop, or made that nice drive, oh yeah that Collier kid - she's pretty good' kind of game. And then you look at the stats and she is either first or second on the team in three or four different stats.
Watching Lou and Collier for four years is going to be a treat! I think they will both be great.

Reaction Score
Collier’s reflexes (not speed) is what separates her from every other player on the floor. She reacts to the ball faster than anyone I have seen since Dennis Rodman. When other defenders are getting ready to react to the ball Collier has already maneuvered into a better position, has the ball in her hands, and is already going back up for a put back.

Funny but this is my opinion of Williams. Some say her rebounding and scoring is due to her leaping ability but what I saw last season was that she simply got to rebounds quicker than others. When she got an offensive rebound she would be going back up with it before the players around her had landed from their rebounding attempt. That also applied to her quick hands that deflected passes on defense so well. It must be those fast-twitch muscles. I haven't watched Collier enough to see this but I can only hope she shares this trait.

Hmmmm... Maybe Collier will be the badass!

I read in her bio that her father was a rugby player back in England. They are the toughest athletes I've ever known, tougher than hockey players. Collier has the pretty smiling face of a cheerleader. Hope she uses that with the refs while using that rugby DNA for her opponents. :rolleyes:

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
Thanks for the preseason piece. Interesting that 4/5 pick KLS to be the 5th starter. That differs from the general sentiment around here.

Also, tell your peeps that Collier is the real deal. She's going to be terrific from day one.
Booyah!

Geno-ista

Embracing the New Look!!!
Reaction Score
I don't get this presumption that Geno has a preference for the run and gun offense. It seems to me that he's had great success with Kara Walters and Stef Dolson and didn't show any inclination for that run and gun. It's obvious that there might be opponents where he'll go with a smaller (and quicker) lineup but to suggest that he has this preference doesn't ring true to me and many others here! There's been many people here who were paranoid that UConn wasn't recruiting enough big girls and how would we manage to survive without them. Yet, there is people like yourself that seem to suggest that we should be looking for smaller, faster and more athletic people in our front court. Strange!
BB- I wasn't talking about any presumption about what geno likes or prefers to do at all. I am just thinking that it may not be a foregone conclusion that Butler is an ordained gtd season starter and lock for 25-30+ minutes like many on the board. With the explosive talent on this team, and Morgan Tuck, as a person who can fill a Dolson like roll on the high post on the offensive end- and her ability to drain uncontested threes, I personally think Butler could easily fall into a Kiah Stokes like role. With dynamic speed, athleticism, offense & defensive talent, and perimeter shooting ability that Mo, Kia, Stewie, Morgan, Gabby and I believe Collier and KLS will give us- I don't think Butler is a a given as Steph became in her Later years. You extrapolated a lot of what I don't believe and didn't allude to from my thoughts specifically relating to Butler relating to the talents of this seasons team. Having legit bigs is a necessity and a luxury to have. I was in Philadelpia when Georgetown was beating us convincingly in the regionals. Their shorter much more athletic forwards were breaking us down and Steph was getting drawn out, beat every time and killing us. It wasn't until I think Shea suggested to sub in Lorin Dixon for Steph, that we were barely able to come out with a win. Having legit bigs is a positive. Not sure anyone can handle what we can unleash without her in the starting line up this year? Just my opinion. It will be easier to discuss after we see her play as well as the growth of everyone else! It'll be fun!!!!

Geno-ista

Embracing the New Look!!!
Reaction Score
Morgan stated the other day that Gabby was the most improved player on the club.
If that is true- that is scary- for the opposition!

Reaction Score
Nah. I will throw down the gauntlet and choose Natalie as my Champion! I do get your point ... Maya badassed Syracuse pretty good a while back, but I still prefer the cold blood assassin analogy to what it is that UConn greats do to those who would get dirty with them. Just like Stewie handled the surreptitious elbow to the gut in the SC game last Feb. 9.
In that vein DT was the baddest of all badasses. I was at the "mooing" game in Knox when she was getting beat up all night away from the ball and the refs were turning their heads. With about 5 minutes left in the second half, with UCONN up by 4, she got absolutely clothslined - with no call of course. She just got up off the floor, demanded the ball, and swished an NBA 3 to push the lead to 7. The mooing all-of-a-sudden shushed - like TOTAL quiet. That was the most badass basketball move I ever saw.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
In that vein DT was the baddest of all badasses. I was at the "mooing" game in Knox when she was getting beat up all night away from the ball and the refs were turning their heads. With about 5 minutes left in the second half, with UCONN up by 4, she got absolutely clothslined - with no call of course. She just got up off the floor, demanded the ball, and swished an NBA 3 to push the lead to 7. The mooing all-of-a-sudden shushed - like TOTAL quiet. That was the most badass basketball move I ever saw.

That was also the game when she slugged the basket support ("I just had to punch something orange!"). I believed she dropped 27 points on the L-Vols. Then, after the game, when asked if she had been bothered by all that "booing," she was ready. "Booing? I thought they were Mooing!"

Reaction Score
That was also the game when she slugged the basket support ("I just had to punch something orange!"). I believed she dropped 32 points on the L-Vols. Then, after the game, when asked if she had been bothered by all that "booing," she was ready. "Booing? I thought they were Mooing!"
I was at that game too, but that "punch" game was a couple years earlier, when she was a sophomore. UCONN blew them out by 20+, but the crowd was in denial and was believing a comeback could happen until the very end. Believe the "mooing" game was her senior year. It was a much closer game and the crowd was really nasty - they genuinely hated DT by then and were really uncouth. Only sporting event I've been to where I felt a little bit at risk of ganged up on and beaten.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Running is always a relative term - Geno likes his team to press the ball up court all the time in competitive games - why allow a team to completely organize its defense why you walk the ball up, when you can put pressure on them by transitioning quickly even after made baskets. And you can do that with Stef just as easily as with Tina - it is all relative - Tina is not keeping up with Moriah and Kia and Maya, and Stewart anyway. So Tina arriving 2 seconds later vs. Stef arriving 3 seconds later is not a big deal.

An annoyed Geno, making his point about the tempo he wanted, during a timeout (from The Geno Auriemma Project, part 2):

"We grab it and we inbound it. We don't take our time. We get it, we inbound it, and we run up the floor before they get set up down there.
We don't wait, inbound, they set their defense, we walk it up, we call a play. Doesn't work that way."

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score

That was great - lucky bastard to be there. My all time Fav DT BA was the Duke game "call me" strut passed the whatever the hell they called themselves jerk jeering section after destroying Duke on their home court.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
That was great - lucky bastard to be there. My all time Fav DT BA was the Duke game "call me" strut passed the whatever the hell they called themselves jerk jeering section after destroying Duke on their home court.
85904b61402c886b2569c9525acaaf50.jpg

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
This is our job meyer: sitting around the evening campfire singing the oral history of our people to the young ones so that they might pass it on.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
This is our job meyer: sitting around the evening campfire singing the oral history of our people to the young ones so that they might pass it on.
I think on here, I am the young. :cool:

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
The explanation is simple. Skylar and Diana were both (college) badasses. :)

NPD doesn't make you a badass. Makes you a pouter/brat. DT was a BA, but she assassinated the Dookies then said her call me when the work was done. Sorry to turn serious on you. I had issues with Skylar, Parker and the Louisville slugger (who seems to have grown up a bit - you know, the one with a statue on campus...I'm suffering a mental lapse (now that is a straight line softball for you)).

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
NPD doesn't make you a badass. Makes you a pouter/brat. DT was a BA, but she assassinated the Dookies then said her call me when the work was done. Sorry to turn serious on you. I had issues with Skylar, Parker and the Louisville slugger (who seems to have grown up a bit - you know, the one with a statue on campus...I'm suffering a mental lapse (now that is a straight line softball for you)).
Skylar's work was done when she was on the XL court

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Skylar's work was done when she was on the XL court

Too deep for me Daddy - don't get me wrong, not liking her doesn't mean I don't think she is a very good player. I didn't like Kobe either, on his best day.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Too deep for me Daddy - don't get me wrong, not liking her doesn't mean I don't think she is a very good player. I didn't like Kobe either, on his best day.
Her play should be the only thing that matters, don't let anyone's antics blind you from their true talent and confidence. Diana is just as big a showboater as many of the others you may not "like".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom