Projecting Gabby | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Projecting Gabby

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I don't agree that there will be that big a growth from either Kia or Gabby. They'll be improved, I'm sure but not to the extent that you'll see from Courtney. They had already played quite well, as freshman and unless Gabby is consistently throwing down 18 foot jump shots and scoring at will, her growth won't have been THAT BIG! Kia similarly showed toughness and shot the ball reasonably well while playing good solid defense. How much better can she get in those areas??? Meanwhile Courtney struggled, maybe as a direct result of her injury and never shot the ball anywhere the way you'd have expected considering what we'd seen in video clips and also based on remarks by Geno prior to her injury. Healthy again and with a year under her belt, learning the UConn system and in the best health of her life, she will probably easily exceed what we saw of her last year where her game results were lacking the expectations of most Boneyarders prior to the start of last season. Courtney easily has the best chance of radically improving on her contributions from last year. I also think that though Geno might occasionally want a quicker lineup, hence starting Gabby inside, he primarily will be playing Butler in the post. Not having seen Butler play, why is it that most Boneyarders seem to be dismissive of her ability to really be a big factor and a nice mismatch for our Huskies against almost anyone??? Big East freshman of the year and a double double player with a year of development under Geno with a year in our weight room, playing against some of the best interior players in the country day after day in practice and working with Chris Daily and you don't think she's capable of being a beast in the interior??? No way she isn't the starter this year.

Did you catch her play this summer against international talent, which included and Mo and Stewie? That was no fluke.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
IMHO, I think the only other player who might become that 5th starter (other than Butler) is Collier. They'll BOTH be starters for sure next year.

Which one Geno chooses depends on the attributes he wants his starting unit to have. I don't think he could lose with either one. I think BOTH of them could start for most other programs.
Collier's skill set too closely mirrors Morgan's for them to spend that much time on the court together. You get much better complementary play from either Butler or Lou I think who do not mimic the skills of any of the other proposed starters.

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
I predict that Gabby and Kia will be the two most improved players on the team, and that Napheesa will be a high impact player right out of the gate. I also tend to think that once the team gets past the first few games, Geno will find that he would prefer to see Natalie come off the bench, early and often, in a role similar to Khia's last year. I just think he loves the up-tempo transition game so much (and why not?) that he'll want his fastest, most athletic players on the floor to start, and then bring in the big intimidating post presence in a bit later. We'll see, but I personally expect big things from Gabby's game

Excellent suppositions, BigP. I agree (that's what make your suppositions "great") Geno will go up-tempo at the outset in most games. Butler can be like Stokes coming off the bench, and she has scoring potential that Kiah lacked (or didn't utilize). The first player off the bench will be Chong (for Nurse/Mo). Collier seems a natural to spell Tuck. Because of her ability to replace Kaleena's points, I expect Lou to be in the starting line-up. KLS can also bring the ball up as KML did on some occasions. Gabby's liabilities: height (though with great hops), can't seem to shoot except under the basket, and her problems making FTs (meaning she won't be in at crunch time). On the whole a very diverse team. Chemistry=necessary additive.

Geno-ista

Embracing the New Look!!!
Reaction Score
I predict that Gabby and Kia will be the two most improved players on the team, and that Napheesa will be a high impact player right out of the gate. I also tend to think that once the team gets past the first few games, Geno will find that he would prefer to see Natalie come off the bench, early and often, in a role similar to Khia's last year. I just think he loves the up-tempo transition game so much (and why not?) that he'll want his fastest, most athletic players on the floor to start, and then bring in the big intimidating post presence in a bit later. We'll see, but I personally expect big things from Gabby's game
That's been my feeling exactly- I think he's going to let his thorobreds run and bring Butler in strategically just like you alluded too. There wasn't alot of BYarders leaning this way on the off season. These girls can not only run but they can bang the boards. Kia Nurse, Gabby, Collier- they won't be outdone on the boards!

Reaction Score
That's been my feeling exactly- I think he's going to let his thorobreds run and bring Butler in strategically just like you alluded too. There wasn't alot of BYarders leaning this way on the off season. These girls can not only run but they can bang the boards. Kia Nurse, Gabby, Collier- they won't be outdone on the boards!
I don't get this presumption that Geno has a preference for the run and gun offense. It seems to me that he's had great success with Kara Walters and Stef Dolson and didn't show any inclination for that run and gun. It's obvious that there might be opponents where he'll go with a smaller (and quicker) lineup but to suggest that he has this preference doesn't ring true to me and many others here! There's been many people here who were paranoid that UConn wasn't recruiting enough big girls and how would we manage to survive without them. Yet, there is people like yourself that seem to suggest that we should be looking for smaller, faster and more athletic people in our front court. Strange!

Reaction Score
I have no predictions. All should keep in mine that the returning starters are going to be much better then last years. The seniors will be playing like seniors, Tuck will want All American acknowledgement and, Nurse will be a handful right up there with Jefferson. And, Gabby and Chong knew what they had to work on. As for the others, Ekmark has been hurt- true, but her defense, even when healthy, is not up to our standard. KLS needed to put points up in HS and in Intl. play she was beaten often. She is such a good shooter that people have been blinded by that fact. Boykin has been /and still is) hurt all year. Butler is under pressure to live up to her standards and that of Uconn- she just wants to play. Collier has played well all year and in HS had to put points on the board and play defense. This past summer she showed that she can play at both ends and do so at a high level.
My prediction is that the starters will not be playing extensive minutes and will be asked to the highly productive in the minuted played. It won't be about scoring 20pts@.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I have no predictions. All should keep in mine that the returning starters are going to be much better then last years. The seniors will be playing like seniors, .
That's the biggest advantage to UCONN this year. Stewart and Jefferson as Seniors. That's gonna be hard to beat.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Running is always a relative term - Geno likes his team to press the ball up court all the time in competitive games - why allow a team to completely organize its defense why you walk the ball up, when you can put pressure on them by transitioning quickly even after made baskets. And you can do that with Stef just as easily as with Tina - it is all relative - Tina is not keeping up with Moriah and Kia and Maya, and Stewart anyway. So Tina arriving 2 seconds later vs. Stef arriving 3 seconds later is not a big deal.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
I expect Katie Lou Collier Chong and Butler to see a lot of time as they will be depended on as starters/first off the bench next season. Over the past few seasons UConn has been dependent on an experienced nucleus each season. With Kiah and KML gone and MoJeff and Stewie graduating this season I see these 4 as their replacements. So who starts this season ? Most fans believe it will be Katie Lou or Butler and possible Collier or Williams. I think that will depend on who steps up. Will Katie Lou replace KMLs outside shooting or can Mojeff and Tuck handle that which would mean maybe somebody else starts? It was clear last season that Stokes would come off the bench last season will that be Butler? It depends on who is ready to start which usually means what defense is most effective. Butler brings size however Stewie and Tuck handled the middle pretty well last season with Stokes coming off the bench. We know Butler can rebound and score will Geno choose to start her because of her experience and allow our freshman to learn as they go this season? Don't know. One thing is for sure next season we will need experienced players who can execute and play like starters do at UConn. IMO Chong will replace Mojeff next season . Replacing Stewie will be dependent on how much size we need next season . Can Katie Lou handle it or will Butler start? A lot of questions that need to be answered and that will happen when we see who can step up in a real game.

If Katie Lou is knocking down shots like KML I think she gets the nod. If she needs time to learn the college game then perhaps Butler starts. In any event This season we have a terrific team with a lot of depth and we will need to have our underclassman ready for the next 3 seasons. This is a big year for player development which means our freshman and sophs. We have a lot of talent and a lot of possibilities and it will come down to who steps up and can perform consistently. Defense execution and sharing the ball is and is always the first priority. All these questions will be answered in the next few of weeks.

Reaction Score
While I enjoy reading just about anything concerning UConn WBB (and everything Java posts), and even though there was lots of interesting stuff on that 'a dime back' site, the individual scoring projections (guess-at-stats) are IMO pretty ridiculous.

Considering only the players the author discusses, and that excludes Stewie, Moriah and Kia, he projects the rest of the team will average 66.7 ppg.
If Stewie (17+ppg), Moriah (12 ppg) and Kia (10ppg) approximate last year's numbers, those three alone will score around 39 ppg. 66.7 + 39 = 105.7 ppg.

The site has Lou pegged at 21.3 ppg. I love that kid, and I believe she'll have a fantastic freshman campaign, but 21 ppg? NO WAY! Stewie won't be averaging that many.
The site also guesses Napheesa at 3.2 ppg. That's half as many points per game as it predicts for either Saniya or Courtney. NO WAY! Napheesa's gonna be an invaluable, versatile contributor to this year's squad, and I'd guess she'll be around 10 ppg. Three ppg's would be a humongous disappointment, which I don't see.

It would be fun to watch, but scoring 105+ points per game absolutely is not happening. Even if it were possible, Geno wouldn't allow it(except Vandy). Heck, last year's juggernaut averaged only 89+ ppg (and the previous 2 years' teams managed 82 ppg.)

Last edited:
Reaction Score
While I enjoy reading just about anything concerning UConn WBB (and everything Java posts), and even though there was lots of interesting stuff on that 'a dime back' site, the individual scoring projections (guess-at-stats) are IMO pretty ridiculous.

Considering only the players the author discusses, and that excludes Stewie, Moriah and Kia, he projects the rest of the team will average 66.7 ppg.
If Stewie (17+ppg), Moriah (12 ppg) and Kia (10ppg) approximate last year's numbers, those three alone will score around 39 ppg. 66.7 + 39 = 105.7 ppg.

The site has Lou pegged at 21.3 ppg. I love that kid, and I believe she'll have a fantastic freshman campaign, but 21 ppg? NO WAY! Stewie won't be averaging that many.
The site also guesses Napheesa at 3.2 ppg. That's half as many points per game as it predicts for either Saniya or Courtney. NO WAY! Napheesa's gonna be an invaluable, versatile contributor to this year's squad, and I'd guess she'll be around 10 ppg. Three ppg's would be a humongous disappointment, which I don't see.

It would be fun to watch, but scoring 105+ points per game absolutely is not happening. Even if it were possible, Geno wouldn't allow it(except Vandy). Heck, last year's juggernaut averaged only 89+ ppg (and the previous 2 years' teams managed 82 ppg.)
Hey look! We talked about this in our preseason roundtable!

http://wbb.adimeback.com/roundtable-2015-16-wbb-season-preview/

You guys are fun.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I don't get this presumption that Geno has a preference for the run and gun offense. It seems to me that he's had great success with Kara Walters and Stef Dolson and didn't show any inclination for that run and gun. It's obvious that there might be opponents where he'll go with a smaller (and quicker) lineup but to suggest that he has this preference doesn't ring true to me and many others here! There's been many people here who were paranoid that UConn wasn't recruiting enough big girls and how would we manage to survive without them. Yet, there is people like yourself that seem to suggest that we should be looking for smaller, faster and more athletic people in our front court. Strange!
Thorough breds running and more uptempo or athletic does not the same as "run & gun". The gun means you take the first shot available where as run means you take the layup or create an easy opportunity before the defense gets a chance to set up. UCONN teams have always been running teams even with Dolson & Walters. UCONN teams have never been run & gun teams. To run you have to secure the rebound first. Butler is a rebounding machine, & as Pat Riley who coached perhaps the best running team of all time-Showtime Lakers- would say "no rebounds..no rings".

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Thanks for the preseason piece. Interesting that 4/5 pick KLS to be the 5th starter. That differs from the general sentiment around here.

Also, tell your peeps that Collier is the real deal. She's going to be terrific from day one.
We've had a lot of discussion about Collier over the last day because of you guys. We all came away wondering what makes you all so sure she's the real deal and more ready to contribute from day 1? We aren't bashing you. Legit question.

JRRRJ

Chief Didacticist
Reaction Score
I don't agree that there will be that big a growth from either Kia or Gabby. They'll be improved, I'm sure but not to the extent that you'll see from Courtney. They had already played quite well, as freshman and unless Gabby is consistently throwing down 18 foot jump shots and scoring at will, her growth won't have been THAT BIG! Kia similarly showed toughness and shot the ball reasonably well while playing good solid defense. How much better can she get in those areas??? Meanwhile Courtney struggled, maybe as a direct result of her injury and never shot the ball anywhere the way you'd have expected considering what we'd seen in video clips and also based on remarks by Geno prior to her injury. Healthy again and with a year under her belt, learning the UConn system and in the best health of her life, she will probably easily exceed what we saw of her last year where her game results were lacking the expectations of most Boneyarders prior to the start of last season. Courtney easily has the best chance of radically improving on her contributions from last year. I also think that though Geno might occasionally want a quicker lineup, hence starting Gabby inside, he primarily will be playing Butler in the post. Not having seen Butler play, why is it that most Boneyarders seem to be dismissive of her ability to really be a big factor and a nice mismatch for our Huskies against almost anyone??? Big East freshman of the year and a double double player with a year of development under Geno with a year in our weight room, playing against some of the best interior players in the country day after day in practice and working with Chris Daily and you don't think she's capable of being a beast in the interior??? No way she isn't the starter this year.

A minor problem with this analysis is that Morgan recently declared in an interview that "everyone [on the team] has gotten better" over the summer and Gabby was very much the most improved...

See Sluconn Husky's post here (second in the thread) for the full quote. A link to the article is in the OP.

JRRRJ

Chief Didacticist
Reaction Score
We've had a lot of discussion about Collier over the last day because of you guys. We all came away wondering what makes you all so sure she's the real deal and more ready to contribute from day 1? We aren't bashing you. Legit question.

Watch the two US games in this video from the 3-on-3 competition at the Youth Olympic Games last summer. What a younger Napheesa shows here is unflagging energy in pursuit of the ball, a good move to the basket, willingness to mix it up inside, scoring ability, and decent rebounding. Her performance for the other USA basketball teams in the past year was similar. She fills up the stat sheet in many ways and I can't wait to see how she implements what Geno & CD will be teaching her.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score

The eye test, seeing her play would be the best evidence. All I can tell you is I have watched her several times at Incarnate Word, numerous times in AAU ball, with the U-18, U-19, and 3x3 teams, and in two all-star games. It took me until about the fifth time seeing her to think she is probably the best player in the class, and I have seen nearly all the other top-20 players multiple times.

In short, she's incredibly cerebral, great basketball IQ. She has tremendous hands and footwork and is a fabulous athlete (amateur boxer, high school track star). An amazing motor that will remind you of Swin Cash except I think Collier has more offensive ability than Swin. She also has great touch on her jumpers.

Here are links to two posts of mine about her that include still working AAU games she starred in.

http://the-boneyard.com/threads/napheesa-collier-thread-new-video.42825/page-5

http://the-boneyard.com/threads/napheesa-collier-wins-everything.62282/

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I'm not sure any of us really know but many of us hope. I definitely don't think it all of us either. When I watch Collier play she seems to make the right play all the time. There is no wasted motion or hesitation in her movement whether she is shooting dribbling or defending. There is incredible grace fluidity & control to her game that surely must be God given because it cannot be gained from drilling. If she did not play basketball surely ballet would be her next most logical showcase of her athleticism. Collier’s reflexes (not speed) is what separates her from every other player on the floor. She reacts to the ball faster than anyone I have seen since Dennis Rodman. When other defenders are getting ready to react to the ball Collier has already maneuvered into a better position, has the ball in her hands, and is already going back up for a put back. Someone else already remark about Collier's build-long arms and " basketball" build and she has a motor (endurance) similar maybe even better than Bria Hartley-never seeming to get tired.

Reaction Score
In short, she's incredibly cerebral, great basketball IQ. She has tremendous hands and footwork and is a fabulous athlete (amateur boxer, high school track star). An amazing motor that will remind you of Swin Cash except I think Collier has more offensive ability than Swin. She also has great touch on her jumpers.
Hmmmm... Maybe Collier will be the badass!

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Hmmmm... Maybe Collier will be the badass!

badasses are very volatile, by definition. They gain reputations with the ref community and draw phantom fouls. A badass is the antithesis of Geno's definition of what it is to be a Husky. But, then, maybe I don't understand what a badass is :oops::rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom